Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings - how long in plastic bags?

Posted by angelao z3 Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 6:45

I overwintered Million Bells, Bacopa, and Lantana. Yesterday I took cuttings from them, dipped the cut end in rooting hormone, and planted them in soiless mix in jiffy peat pots. I then put the pots in plastic bags under my grow lights. All the bags now have condensation on them which I assume is a good thing?
My question is how long should the plants stay in the plastic bags? Thank you for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings - how long in plastic bags?

I've tried cuttings from bacopa before, and from what I can remember, I had them covered for about 2 weeks. But, what I do is, uncover them for about a hour or two to see if they wilt or not. If they wilt, then they don't have any roots yet and get covered again for a few days and then test again. And yes, the condensation is a good thing :)
I've always been under the impression that cuttings shouldn't have any direct(hot) light until they have rooted sufficiently or else they'll dry up. My kitchen faces north and that's the window I use to start cuttings. There's still a fair amount of light from the north, but no direct light. This has always worked for me anyway, maybe some others have their cuttings under lights and they do well?

Laurie

o

• Posted by mcav0y z3/4 Anchorage (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 16:14

wow, putting cutting under plastic baggies. What a good idea. I have just used the pinch and poke method (pinch a stem off a leggy plant and poke into the soil). The cuttings get wilty for a few days, and then bounce back.
I have put them in my south-facing windowsill with no apparent issues (although the sun in Alaska is much less intense than other places)

o

I've got some Bacopa cuttings that I've started. I just use a plastic tray which I fill with vermiculite. I wet it with water mixed with "no" damp. I also dip the cuttings in rooting hormone and then cover with a plastic dome. I check it several times a day and use a spritser bottle to keep the cutting moist. I also mix "no damp" with the water in the bottle. Works really well and the cuttings usually start rooting in a week or two. Stan

o

For cuttings I use the zip plastic bags that sheets and blankets come in. You have to be very careful that the cuttings don't hit the side walls of what ever you use. I usually leave the cuttings in the progator for 10 to 14 days. I just give a VERY GENTLE tug to see if they are rooted...they won't pull out if they are. Another sign is if they show new top growth. The growing medium I use is Promix in 2 1/2 or 4 inch pots.

Sierra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here