Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to tulips! Can I refrigerate bulbs and plant this spring?

Posted by camaria Zone 2 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 9:04

Hi, I just bought some tulip bulbs. I read that they should be planted in autumn. Since the ground doesn't thaw here till end of April, could I refrigerate the bulbs and still plant them this spring, or is it better to wait until autumn.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to tulips! Can I refrigerate bulbs and plant this spring

Also, if refrigeration is an option, should I refrigerate or freeze the bulbs...(silly newbie question, indulge me!)

o

If you bought them recently and they are still alive, hopefully they were prepped with the right freezing and refrigeration by the vendor to bloom this spring. If they were on sale from last fall or something, they might be dead. They will be firm and full if they are still ok.

Anyway, plant them out as soon as you have a patch of thawed soil. Don't worry if it is even frozen a bit, as long as you can work it. They might grow leaves but not bloom this year. I don't know if I would bother refrigerating them now. Are they starting to sprout?

o

The funny thing is, that Walmart has tulips out with their spring bulbs here. These were left over from last fall, I remember seeing these bulbs in Dec still sitting there.

If you can, I would take these bulbs back to where you bought them. Chances are they won't be of good quality at this time of year, and won't bloom.

In high zone areas, the gardeners there refidgerate the tulip bulbs for 12 weeks before planting out for spring blooms. But they buy fresh tulip bulbs in the fall, Sept or Oct....and they don't get the frozen ground like we do....so they can plant out in Jan.

Good luck with your tulip bulbs.

Sierra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here