Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Anyone have their own website?

valleyrimgirl
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone else in the Far North had their own personal website to show others what they grow in their own yard?

I still have my photobucket albums which is where I upload pictures that can then be shown here on the Far North. But, in response to requests over the years, I have 'bit the bullet' and am now working on my own website.

In the website I cannot only add the pictures like I do into Photobucket, but I can provide information about the perennial from the height, color description, hybridizer, etc. I am also adding comments to various perennials...like...the first iris to bloom in my yard or maybe a comment about its growing habits or maybe I like its distinctive color.

The website address is

www.valleyrimgirl.com

There are two things I am concentrating on right now with the website...The first one is a very consuming part of having a new website......linking all the pages together. You know...the little buttons at the top and/or bottom of each page that when clicked on will bring you to the previous or next page. It is about a 6 step process for each button so I am still working on getting all the buttons in all the pages.

Secondly I thought I would pick a perennial (I chose irises) and try to upload all the different varieties of that perennial into the site. So, right now this is the section that has the most pictures in it.

I am quite enjoying the process of setting up the website, selecting the pictures to put on it and getting the feedback about the site. As I have thousands of varieties of perennials here I think I will be adding pictures for years!!!

So, enjoy valleyrimgirl.com and check back often for new perennials in there!

Brenda

Comments (7)

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

I'm going to check out your website as soon as I leave this one. I have wanted to do this for ages but have no idea how.I would love to learn and have looked for a continuing education course on it but never seen one around here. Is there a program you are using? And does it cost money?
    good luck with it.
    Debbie

• ljpother
    13 years ago

I have a few websites, none dedicated to gardening. There are lots of free, excellent programs for developing websites. I used NVU and notetab. www.nvu.com/ is a what you see is what you get program. Also, if you search for free web design tutorials you will get more than you need. It's been a while since I put together a web page and I don't use all the bells and whistles.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The website I am doing is completely free.

If you want to have your own domain name, which I did...you can buy it by going to

http://www.netfirms.ca/

A domain name of your own...you choose its name and then, for $10 a year you can keep it and no one else can have it.

I have my site hosted by Weebly, a company in California, as you will see their name at the bottom of the website pages. I love it as it is so easy to use. I have never taken any courses with computers but have been easily able to set up my own website.

I have a friend who looked at quite a few free website building sites on the internet, tried out a few and chose this one as it was the most user friendly. So, I figured that since she used it and found it easy to use, I would also use it.

On Weebly there is no limit on the size my website will be able to be or number of pictures it can hold. I upload regular pictures from my computer, I think the largest it will accept is between 4 - 5 MB in size .... but, if my picture is larger in my computer, I just shrink it a bit first. You will know if it won't take it...it will take forever and then come up with error. Shrink the picture a bit and upload again. No reducing it to email size is necessary. The site uploads very quickly.

Brenda

• mamahoohoo
    13 years ago

For anyone who doesn't really want to go through the work or expense of setting up an entire domain, there's also the option of starting a blog (web log) through a service such as blogger.com or wordpress.com. Kind of like an online public diary. :) They come with a simple interface to add pages (and pictures, usually) and some of them can even be updated with your blackberry or iphone, if you absolutely cannot wait to upload that picture you just took with your phone. I can't say I've managed to stay committed to one long enough to make it interesting to other people. but there are several that I love to read!

Just my 2 cents.
    Vikki

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Yes, this would be my main concern, I want to spend less time on computer.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On Weebly I also do have the option of doing a blog. I don't have a blackberry or an iphone though...so would have to download the camera and work with pictures that way.

I would probably keep a blog current in the winter, but don't think I would be so good at keeping it up though in the summertime... with all the work outside in the flowerbeds to do, along with other summertime activities.

Brenda

• cmmwiebe
    13 years ago

I have been managing to keep several blogs for a couple of years now. The main blog is for interest sake in all areas and then several others on key items such as Edible Blue Honeysuckle and now on lilies. It does take quite a bit of time but I think one has to realize that it is not a diary of day to day stuff but mostly hilites. I appreciate very much the effort of bloggers who stay up to date and offer good information. My own blog is http://aprairiejournal.blogspot.com/
    but I want to feature a garden friend who does a great job with information and also does websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Provience Acres Farm

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!