Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Shield Hibiscus

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 9:17

Has anyone ever grown this one? I loved the picture in the Veseys catalogue. The foliage is awesome and I think with the flowers it would be even better. Mine are now about 3". Some of the leaves are drying up. I've just watered them and am wondering if I should keep them drier? Will it flower the first year or more likely to flower the second season? Do you get seeds from it? I've read about people taking cuttings but if it flowers, it should set seed right? I was planning on putting them in containers on each side of my front door. They would have an eastern exposure. Thanks for any advice. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Shield Hibiscus

I've had this for several years, Marg. The first one was given to me by a friend and it grew fairly rapidly and was a nice size after spending the summer outside. It lived inside for the winter for a couple of years with no problem until last winter when it and my alternanthera kicked the bucket for no apparent reason. They had the same symptoms, though - just drying out and dying bit by bit. I bought seeds last year and started another one. It hasn't grown quite so fast, though.

The flowers are pretty but they're a light-ish pink and don't stand out against the foliage very much. I tried cuttings but they didn't work so well. Never did try to get seeds, though. Oh, and i find that it flowers inside in the winter rather than outside during the summer! Darn thing!

Some of the leaves do tend to dry up and fall off. I water mine when i remember, so it gets a little dry sometime, but that happens even when it's more moist. When it's outside, i just water as i water any other containers - when needed - and with a light fertilizer.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 13:50

Thanks for the info. I grew a few of them and I will bring one into the house for the winter. The write up in the catalogue says it produces large burgundy flowers - glad I asked. The light pink flowers would be a nice contrast with the leaves. My garden gets full sun all day so if the hibiscus likes it there, maybe I'll get burgundy flowers, what do you think? Marg

o

As i said, Marg, it doesn't bloom outside for me - or it hasn't at least. It might for you, in which case, please take pictures!

o
RE: Red Shield Hibiscus, FYI

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 14:30

I emailed Veseys about the leaves falling off my Red Shield Hibiscus. Apparently this is normal. Here's the answer I rec'd: 'Thank you for contacting Veseys. They should be fine. The leaves should develop once the cotyledons fall off.' It's good to know that I haven't lost it! Just thought I'd pass on the info. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here