Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - has anyone else noticed...

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 9:32

that the chickadee coloring seems to be a bit more vibrant this year? Maybe its just my eyes playing tricks on me but it seems like that to me. There are a lot more of them this year to. Last year I hardly had any so this is a real treat to see so many. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - has anyone else noticed...

Hey Marg, I may have to agree with you here. I thought a chickadee was a woodpecker the other day. Maybe they just grow bigger out west of the city but I could have sworn it was a woodpecker! :) It's nice to see and hear the little black caps in the morning and they seem to like to hang out in my cherry tree until the dogs fly out to debird the yard! :)

Ginny

o

Ginny, we have some fat ones here to - usually they are smaller. I have to put a wire cage around the feeder and thought it would keep out the starlings but no such luck. I was going to make the cage holes smaller but the woodpeckers wouldn't be able to get in then and now the fat chickadees wouldn't be able to get in either! When we put up the feeders we planted 2 pear trees close by, now every morning we get up to see 2 dove trees with chickadees interspersed. Rosie used to chase the smaller birds but now there's bigger game - crows & ravens! Marg

o

Maybe we're feeding them too much!

o

I am teased about that by my neighbours. I have the fattest birds in the city! The dogs play with the magpies and the odd crow. I think I have about 4 generations who wait for me every morning to feed them so they can in turn throw cat food to the dogs who are patiently waiting underneath. :) Silly birds, silly dogs, and even sillier human! :)

Ginny

o

Mine always look the same but I've noticed in previous years that they look really scraggly after the snow goes in the spring. I think they have a spring molt or something?

o

Hoping to have birds in a few years :( I miss birds. All the trees in our neighbourhood are still babies. The only birds we have are swallows one neighbour put up houses for them. Hubby wants to replace the sick and dying tree in our front yard with a big one this year it will cost more but maybe then we will get some birds. I would love to hear the sound of chickadees again.

o

Our chickadees haven't returned yet. I love their liitle song.

o

I was looking at our chickadees today and they look the same as always. Maybe the bigger ones are another type of chickadee? I think the Boreal chickadees are a bit larger than the Black-capped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here