Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet grass--does any one grow it

Posted by happy2beeme 4a NH (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 9:45

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone grows sweetgrass (Hierochloe odorata)?

What you liked/didn't like about it.

I know it's used for baskets and braided, anyone do anything else with it?

:) Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet grass--does any one grow it

I've had a patch for years now. To make sure it doesn't get away on me I have a big pot I cut the bottom out of and buried it to the top of the rim and then planted the grass in it.This also keeps other grasses from mixing with it .Of course if you had a very weed free garden with no quack grass ( which I don't ) that would not be a problem.While I was still working I gave a lot of it to my Native patients.

o

I was reading about how fast it can spread. The pot idea works for alot of things :) The roots don't seem to grow to deep and spread anyway? Or it doesn't put out runners?

I bet they were very excited to receive it as a gift, it is one of the sacred herbs/plants. Traditionally for a gift... tie a red strip of cloth around it. :) It does smell wonderful when burnt.

karyn

o

It doesn't seem to put out runners. Been in the same pot for several years now and still doing well. But I am getting a new one this year. Once it is dried and braided it shud not be covered. I was told this by several of the people I gave it to. Luckily I hadn't covered it.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 17:08

I tried starting some from seed a couple of years ago but got no germination. It does have a beautiful scent that never seems to wear out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here