Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celtic_07

need help to id plant

celtic_07
15 years ago

I 've growen this plant for years can't remember the name. It looks like Oenothera Missouriensis "qzark sundrop" but the foliage is like a dandilion only finer, bright yellow and only opens up at dusk. You can watch it unravel over about 5 minutes when it's ready to show itself.-lasts only that night and is over come morning. I've had up to 20 blooms at a time. It will selfseed and you need to be careful weeding in early sring to not pull it up by mistake!!! ask my HD.It is only 8-10 " ht. and can spread to 12". Often you will have 2-3 growing tog. so clump can get quite large . Easy to divide as they come apart withsome gentle pulling.

It will brighten up any evening garden Likes any soil, neglect partshade or sun. You need to deadhead it for more blooms. In fall I stop and an interesting seed pod developes. Help anyone. It's sunny again Hope it will get warm LOL. Have a good one. Lois

Comments (11)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

Lois, there's Evening Primrose which is also Oenothera but lamarckiana rather than missouriensis. I winter sowed some last year but don't remember if they bloomed. I'll have to keep a close eye for it to have reseeded.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Marcia, O. lamarckiana is really tall, Lois says its 8-10". ;)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Could you post a picture? It would make identifying the plant easier. I thought at first it might be Winter Aconite but that blooms during the day plus it is spring flowering. Maybe it is Winter Aconite with its blooming 'clock' off kilter like my Four O'clocks. They start to bloom at 6 am and bloom til 10 am. Good luck finding out what it is! Marg

• celtic_07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks . Sorry no picture near by packed up as we're getting ready to move and start all over AGAIN!! Brenda (crazy gardener I think) I saw a pic in your photobucket in week Sept.4 2005 and July 30 2006 .The flower is like these, only they bloom dusk til daybreak.Your pic look like a daytime shotand my leaves are serrated(?) Iknow the lady that gave it to me called it "moon flower"
    the pic on july 30 2006 shows a bud in the R. upper quad. The bud slowly unfurls to open---slow motion photography.the plant almost seems to mound in the center a bit.Once you have it you almost always have it. It blooms almost all summer here. I know it's not in the aconite family.
    Lois

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Are you referring to this photo Lois?

{{gwi:540712}}

It is called...

Oenothera missouriensis Ozark Sundrop

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I have both, as i said, but went back to refer to pictures. The missouriensis i have is the same as Sharon's, but i thought maybe Lois meant lamarckiana because she didn't think what she had was missouriensis. Anyway, in looking at my pictures, what i have labelled as lamarckiana has orange flowers so i think i've made a labelling mistake! Will have to check again this summer. Wallflowers are orange, aren't they? Maybe that's what i have labelled as lamarckiana - i know i had the tall yellow ones as well.

Love this forum - you guys patch up my mistakes! LOL

• celtic_07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes ' only mine don't have that foliage,as I said the foliage is like a dandilion' stays low to the ground with a slight mounding in the centre. It has a tap root that is quite long and therefore is trickier to move when large . When several are growing in a clump, they are often easily separated by digging them up and gently pulling apart. If possible I'll try to find my photos - don't have a clue how to put it on here but my kids( BLESS THEM) are'nt too fed up with my????????-- yet and after all I didn't have them just to look at! Thanks by the way sorry for the wrong name Sharon-- fantastic plants and photograghy. I suppose the gent and dog in our shots are also your admirers. As an add-on I've seem the bios people have put on the long running thread-- Gardners Roll Call- is there a list somewhere to follow .. Lois

• marilenav1
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have the same plant in my garden - it's very beautiful and it is called Oenothera triloba. For years, our neighbors visited our garden just to see the flowers open in slow motion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oenothera triloba

• celtic_07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks maryv montreal that is the plant. I'd better get a tag made up for them before I forget Thanks everyone for your time and effort- am enjoying this site a great deal Lois

• oilpainter
    15 years ago

If she called it moonflower then it is a moonflower there actually is a plant called that but the real name is--Ipomoea Alba

• celtic_07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks oilpainter and welcome to FN
    the plant I was asking about is the Oenothera Triloba I beleive she called it "moonflower" due to when it bloomed-at dusk til dawn. what you're talking about is a vine and this one isg low growing.The link Mary v gave is a good pic & id. of the plant
    Take care Lois

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21