Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

dark purple lilac

marricgardens
15 years ago

I have seen a dark purple lilac in peoples yards and I would like to get some but I don't know what it's called. From a distance this one looks almost black and it's very fragrant! Any ideas? I would love to have a lilac hedge with this one in it. Thanks. Marg

Comments (17)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Congo?

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did a search for this one and it's not the one. The one I saw was almost black. After I posted I did another google search and found the same question posted on the plant exchange forum. I'm beginning to think it may be an older variety that is no longer available! Just my luck. Thanks for trying. Marg

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

Hi Marg
    I have both Charles Joly and Monge in my yard. Both are very deep purple/maroon and depending on the weather, almost black looking. If it is a cool spring, they are darker. I also have Congo but it is not as dark. Monge is probably the darkest, single blooms and very fragrant. Both Charles Joly and Monge are available around here, Edmonton.
    Ginny

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked on Hortclick.com and checked out Monge. It is very dark but not the one I was looking for. I found 2 other dark ones called Burgundy Queen and Agincourt Beauty. The fence I want to plant against is about 100' long. Maybe I'll just start with some of these and go from there, meanwhile I'll keep on looking. Marg

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Interesting...
    I always wanted a deep purple one, do you know, any of these will attract bees or honey bees?
    Konrad

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

Hi Konrad,
    I really haven't noticed if any of these attract bees. And since I know very little about bees I couldn't tell you if they like dark purple flowers however if fragrance is an attractant then bees would love these lilacs. ??? All are very hardy (zone 2) and nice bright green foliage.
    Ginny

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Konrad. I had a dark pink lilac at the other house. It was very fragrant and did attract bees. One day I noticed that a bumblebee had actually gotten drunk on the nectar and was hanging from the flower! It stayed there for a few hours before flying off. I would imagine any lilac that has a strong fragrance would attract them. After all, the fragrant flowers of linden trees attract them so why not lilacs? Marg

• bdgardener
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, I wish I could help with a name, but I can't. I have a very dark violet lilac that has been past around the family for almost 80 years. I remember huge hedge rows on the family farm in Sask and at the other grandparents house in Saskatoon. Ht 20-25 feet if not pruned, and suckered. Very dk bloom and so fragrant it almost made you sick. Check with U of S as it was probably in a shelter belt program at one time. If you are interested. Cheryl

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Thank you all!
    I will keep an eye on the dark one's.
    Konrad

• badaub
    15 years ago

Have a look at Dark Night about half way down the page I linked. It is very dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Plus Lilacs

• ruthhousman_mac_com
    12 years ago

Hi, I am looking for a black lilac, and YES, there once was one. I worked at a Clinic in Brockton MA and in their back there was this bush, that had very thick truly black lilacs, that did smell, sensational. I have longed for a black lilac ever since. I went back years later, to cut a branch, but found it had been razed to the ground and the area paved over. They paved paradise, put up a parking lot!

It must have been a very old cultivar since I have been searching, since. If you find ONE, let me know.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ruth: If you use the link above, there is a dark purple called Dark Night, 1966. Is that close?

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I have a dark knight but it doesn't particularly attract bees. I have about 10-12 lilacs from white to pink to mauve and deeper purple. I don't find any of them all that attractive to my bees.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Hmn...then I don't plant a whole acre..LOL

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw the posting for Harvard Botanical Garden Lilac Festival. They had a deep purple lilac pictured called 'Albert F. Holden'. It's what I've been looking for, deep purple and fragrant! I'm going to search and see if it is available here. Here's a picture. Marg
    www.beavercreeknursery.com/plantdetails.cfm?ID=416

• lainimay
    11 years ago

I am also looking for the name of a lilac I saw by Tonasket, WA that was so dark purple, it looked almost black from a distance. It was old, old growth and I was allowed to dig up a sucker, but it didn't bloom as dark and I still don't know the name of it? Any info would be great

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA