Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Wall O Water Anyone?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Does anyone here use those Wall of Water things?

I can see how they would work for parts of the plant that are closest to the ground, but I'm unsure about the tips of, say a tomato plant, that would reach to the top of the wall of water.

Comments (9)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I've used them. They're fine while the plants are small. Later, i carefully insert a tomato cage and it opens the wall'o'water thingy up. The tomatoes grow taller than it, so it doesn't offer much in the way of protection after. I'd just remove it, but they're pretty awkward and heavy to lift when full of water. Maybe we should invent some with drains!

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm. I see you say you've used them, not use them. Seems rather silly to have to lift them like that full of water. Invent some with drains and I'll test them for you, ha, ha !

Do you think they're worth buying? When you say "small" plants, how small do you mean? Lynn

13 years ago

I have three of them, and still use those, but they can be a pain. If you have a hose and an outdoor tap, they'd be easy to fill, but we don't so i haul my watering can down to the garden several times to fill the little tubes. The wall'o'waters are about a foot or so high, no, make it more like 18" maybe, so when the plants are smaller than that, they're well-protected.

They're worth it to protect your seedlings, especially if you want to set them out early.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

McFayden's has red ones called Mr. Tomato's Kozy-Coats, package of 3 for $19.95. Maybe I'll try them. That's not too expensive, is it?

Thanks ! Lynn

13 years ago

That's about what i paid for them years ago. :)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I think they been popular more then 20 years ago, have used them maybe for two season but found not a real advantage for the hassle.

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Yes they work, but I find them too much bother also. I get soaked trying to fill them, then they're too heavy to move, or they tip over on my uneven ground, or they spring a leak, then get lopsided. Like I said in another post, I just use the large juice jugs with the bottom cut out...much easier. But I will keep the water walls on hand since I have them. You never know when a frost can threaten and I'll decide I suddenly need them.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it seems that maybe the darn things would just irritate me at times, so I think I'll pass. I'll be sure to spend the $20.00 on something else, though =:)

Thanks everyone!

• don555
    13 years ago

I used them many years ago (one year only). They do help protect against frost but I didn't see that they were any real advantage in getting things out early because tomatoes don't grow until the weather warms up so all you end up having is tomatoe plants (or other plants) sitting in cold ground, biding their time until things really warm up and they can grow. I think it best to wait to transplant until the weather has warmed, that way the plants avoid the cold shock of sitting in cold ground for a week or weeks.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH