Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

taro root purchase

valleyrimgirl
18 years ago

I went to Superstore today to get groceries and as I walked past the taro I noticed that there was quite a selection of taro. The price was 88 cents a pound and the root is nice and firm and so...

I purchased one. It came to be 22 cents and it is (as you can see from the picture) almost 4 inches long.

{{gwi:735553}}

Question...is this growing tip bad...will it grow for me? All the taro seemed to have the same "funny" ends on them. Almost a dried look to them.

If it does grow...why pay $5.98 for 3 at HD if I can purchase it at Superstore for $0.22. Safeway had them $2.50 each and they were smaller and had the same growing tip look to them also.

Brenda

Comments (13)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Did the roots from superstore look the same as the ones from HD? If they look close, then for .22 cents I may have to try one just out of curiousity. It's a cheap experiment any way it works out ;)

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They did look the same except the roots from HD were just a touch smaller and had a nicer growing tip.

Question...would I soak the whole root in water for a day or put it upright in a cup with an inch or so of water just to get it started properly?

But yes, for $0.22 I think I can experiment.

Brenda

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Brenda, we'll have to keep this thread going. I'm anxious to see what comes from your roots because that might be the way to go. Certainly alot cheaper. Interestingly, tho, the bulbs that I got from Costco were very spherical (rounder than a turnip) and about the size of my two fists together. I'm wondering if they are a different cultivar than the one you got. We'll have to compare the leaf shape, etc. when these babies grow up.

Shauna

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Superstore had all shapes and sizes there. I chose one of the larger ones. Some had babies attached to them also. The root end has a greenish tinge to it..so...we'll see. Think I will try the same thing that the others are going to do with their glads to start them early...put it in a little water (from the aquarium).

Brenda

• DrHorticulture_
    18 years ago

Don't mean to nitpick but they are actually modified stems (corms). Roots will sprout from the nodes (the circles) running across the stem and not from the ends.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, if it doesn't work, what's 22 cents? Okay, if I can't make it grow, then, how do you cook taro then??? Anyone know? :)

Brenda

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Brenda, I still don't know about your taro, but I got out my sweet potato vine tubers today and they look just the same at the ends but are sprouting from just behind the dried up parts. I think yours might figure it out.

I have been wondering how to cook taro too. I think you can bake it like a potato. The only time I know I ate it was at a Philippino wedding, they told me it was a taro root cake. It was good, a little different but good.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, 20 days in water and this is what has happened.

It is growing from the opposite end that I thought it would.

Guess in a week or two I should plant in soil. What do you guys think?

taro root in the glass of water...it has all greened up.

{{gwi:735558}}

Root...out of water...notice the growth from the bottom.

{{gwi:735562}}

Brenda

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

Right on, way to go!

I just may be looking for taro root next time I'm in the grocery store!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Brenda, I'm curious. What became of the taro root? I was in Safeway today and walked by the pile of taro roots, and remembered this thread.

Laurie

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurie,

I planted it up and had it in a planter last summer. It didn't really do much so it was one of the plants that I opted not to keep over for the winter. Maybe if I would have given it more moisture all summer it may have done better.

Brenda

• glen3a
    17 years ago

I have grown "grocery store" taro for the past few years. I just look for any root that looks big or thick and has potential sprouts happening.

I start them in medium to large drinking cups and transplant them in the clay soil beside the pond. Partly to mostly shady spot.

They average one foot high to 3 feet high by the end of summer with 3 to 5 heart shaped leaves. The plant is neat looking but on it's own it might not fill an area or look decent in a pot, it's sort of bare by the bottom of the plant so you would need more than one root in a pot or other plants, but mine looks quite nice growing inbetween lamium by the pond. The soil there is really nothing special either, sometimes it can be soggy though during wet spells and warm wet summers this plant seems to grow best.

I also tried grocery store ginger but was disappointed in the appearance. It almost reminded me of "cast iron" houseplant but a shorter scragglier version of it.

Glen

• hehartley_aol_com
    13 years ago

Hi Brenda and others: My wife being a polynesian is quite familiar with taro root and cooking of it.
    First Glen was on to the key to growing taro. Remember taro is a tropical plant and like a lot of moist soil and warm climate.
    As far as cooking it, simply cut all the peel off and chunk it into piece like if you were going to make mashed potatoes. Boil them over medium heat for about 45 minutes or until soft. **Note if not cooked thorughly they will irritate your throat.** After cooking, drain the water from the taro. Pour one can of canned coconut milk with a little sugar over the cooked taro. Bring coconut mixture to a boil for 5 or 10 minutes. Your taro in now ready to eat. Then enjoy with baked tuna or mahi mahi. Or you can peel your taro, slice them into thin wedges and boil the wedges. Once boiled you can deep fry the wedges like you would french fries. Maybe add a little Johnnie Seasoning. Oh! don't forget the taro leaves are delicious if boiled properly sort of like spinich in taste and texture.Hope this helps Lauila