Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birds

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 12:35

The little weasel and I built some birdhouses this spring and I hung them up today. I know it's early but I've already seen the migratory birds we usually get in April-May and I think we're having an early spring for real.

Who else here does birdhouses? This is my first attempt. I bought "wren" house kits with small holes in hopes of deterring those nasty house sparrows. I have had wrens nest in my mock orange before so hopefully they will use the houses.

Speaking of migrating, we saw Whistling Swans on the Winnipeg River on the weekend. I was pretty excited because I have never seen wild swans before.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birds

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 13:07

Wild swans are beautiful, aren't they? Thanks for sharing the pic.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 13:39

We've been having Sand Hill Cranes here for the past few years. I'd like to get close enough to get a good picture but they strut around the back 30 acres, right in the middle of the plowed field so I can't even sneak up on them. Nice to see them tho. You are so lucky to have the Swans there, they are so beautiful. Marg

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 14:27

I seen a red-winged black bird at the feeders the last couple days. It really does seem spring like when you hear them singing. Swans stay year around here in a few places where there is open water but we rarely see them flying in the winter.More swans are coming into the area now as they are migrating and we are seeing big flocks of them.A few years ago we were excited about 3 sandhill cranes near our place, now we see big flocks of them. They fly extremely high in the sky and make a sound kind of like a bicycle horn.

o

We never got into birdhouses because we always had a cat. And i seldom feed birds in the summer for the same reason. Of course, i don't have a cat now, but you never know what's going to happen.

The robins were back here on Sunday - the absolute earliest they've ever been!

o

We get cranes too, I often see them when I'm working up in the Interlake. I love their funny call. Apparently the populations of both swans and sandhill cranes are doing well in recent years. It's good to hear.

o

I am so envious of you guys in the country! I think I shall have to go set up a tent in Terry's yard and hang out by the lake a bit in the summer!

We had 17 maggies out here these last few mornings. Last years babies and their whole extended family have come to think of this place as home. They are just so darned amuzing to watch and interact with; I can't stop feeding them. They are building their nests now (or repairing their old ones)and are so ravenously hungry! This morning the big black pair was certainly making their presence known to the maggies and cawing away from the fence. That pair has nested in my neighbours spruce tree for about 4 years now. We still get tons of songbirds even with the black king and queen on watch! :) Spring is fast coming! :)

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here