Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner in need of advice

Posted by jennifer3120 Alberta (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 13:10

I'm a young 25 year old woman living in an apartment in downtown Edmonton with a south-east facing balcony. I have little to no working knowledge of how to take care of plants, but I am interested in buying some to bring some life to my place. Can anyone recommend something with relatively easy care instructions that would be suited to my climate and apartment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner in need of advice

I don`t know how big your balcony is but I`m thinking going vertical would give you flowers as well as maximize the space you do have. You could us rectangular planters with tall bamboo sticks or ready made trellis(go at least 5 feet). Shop around for a good deal, they can be expensive. Some easy vines from seed would be scarlet runner bean, black eyed susan, sweet pea, climbing nasturtium. Around the base you could plant lobelia, bidens or bacopa. I don`t know if you would get hummingbirds in your location but you could try a planter of fuchsia gartenmeister. These are all easy, no fuss plants. Beginners usually OVERWATER so just remember to touch the soil first before you douse them! Happy gardening!

o

Sounds like a good place to start, thank you!

o

South balconies in Edmonton can get very hot in the summer so you may want to look at some more drought resistant varieties for pots that can take a lot of sun. Pots dry out very fast on a hot day here, especially higher up. Some of the plants with tuber type roots such as daylilies, and dahlias do well in pots and they are perennials if you bring them in for the winter. :) . They are not climbers but can tolerate heat. Geraniums don't mind drying out either. They look nice in pots with mint and dracaena plants and will also live over the winter nicely inside. I have a very hot front porch and they do well out there in pots. :) Morning glories are another climber that can handle heat better than some.
Hope this helps. :)

Ginny (Edmonton) .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here