Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echoes_or

Have questions about plants - never heard of B4

echoes_or
18 years ago

I know I can read about these on their advertisments but I always like to get a Yes I have them and they do this etc... answer the best... So here I go.

I got a One Green World catalog with lots of nifty plants, trees, shrubs etc... Nice also that they have cold season stuff.

But I have questions about some because they are for cold but I've never heard of them. I would like to pick your braisn to see if any of you have..

#1: Honeyberry - Says zone 2... Looks like a long blue berry. Is it one? Anyhoo lots of varities but not sure all are for zone 2 - seems so but....

#2: Russian Sea Berry Varieties... Anyone have????

#3: Grapes. I bought one last summer that said it was good to zone 3 - can't remember what it is right now - but does anyone have a good recommendation for a grape in zone 3?

#4: Artic Beauty Kiwi - Actinidia Kolomikta says zone 3...

Ok thats all for now... Nifty book though.

www.onegreenworld.com

Just in case you want to look at it.

Comments (12)

• sazzyrose
    18 years ago

I don't have any of the plants that you are asking about but I am planning on purchasing some Honeyberry shrubs this year. A while ago I was on a site that was somehow related to University of Saskatchewan and wrote down the recommended plants for the prairies. Blue Belle was the best tasting while they suggested that Berry Blue had the highest yields and was a good cross pollinator for Blue Belle. You must have 2 different varieties to produce fruit. I can't remember how many 1 pollinator was good for though. It might have been 3-1 or 4-1 that they suggested. My aunt has planted a couple of Honeyberry shrubs. They have made it through the winter, but haven't produced yet.
    As for the grapes, the same site suggested Valiant and Beta. (This will be a future investment for me as well.)
    I'm also planning on planting this spring some of the U of S cherries.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Someone here, Konrad maybe?, was growing honeyberry. I've got Actinidia Kolomikta in my w/s this year. I think it is Glen in Winnipeg (and Laurie, too?) that grows that one.

I planted 2 of the U of S cherry trees last year, sazzyrose. Keeping my fingers crossed because they were just babies of about 18" when they went in. Last time I looked at them, in Feb. before we got all of our snow, they seemed fine and still supple. This snow plus the warmer temps. should be fine for them though. They are supposed to be very hardy to our worst temps.

Shauna

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

"Honeyberry" or sweetberry honeysuckle is extremely hardy. It's fully hardy here and, just as important, chinook-proof. Extremely early to leaf out, even earlier than alpine currant. It's also described in Sara William's Prairie Xeriscape with other honeysuckles as "tough, drought-tolerant" and "well-adapted to prairie conditions". Rick is growing various varieties of this - we just have a couple of the straight species (rather than named selections).

"Russian sea grape" is a rather peculiar name for what's more commonly called sea buckthorn - hardy as all get-out. My mom grows them in zone 2, and the city (Calgary) uses them here and there. I love the look of the clustered golden or orange berries, but they are rather invasive (root suckers) so not suited to our city yard. (Got more than enough suckers already from lilacs, roses, various Prunus, 'Schubert' chokecherry, gooseberries, etc.........)

Some old, basic hardy grape varieties for zone 3 are 'Valiant' and 'Beta', or the straight species, Vitus riparia - not great for eating (IMO) and not even very attractive to birds, but good for jelly. 'Fredonia' and 'F-130' are another couple of newer ones that are available up here. Grapes, even the toughest, are a little touchy here, possibly due to the chinook conditions, but can thrive in zone 2. (My mom, zone 2, has a huge old grape vine that's older than I am.)

We have the U of S sour cherry introduction 'Carmine Jewel' - I'd recommend 'Evan's' instead for much larger, sweeter fruit and probably almost as hardy. Or, actually, Nanking Cherry for sweeter fruit than either, though much smaller and less flavorful than 'Evan's'. (All have been totally hardy here but that seems variable by area...with respect to 'Evan's' anyway.) Also have Mongolian cherry - sour as he!!, and very small fruit. (So, tell me again....why exactly is this thing taking up space where I could instead be growing perennials??? ;> ) 'Evan's' is beautiful in bloom (and produces very heavily, very quickly); all have nice fall color.

I'm still waiting for local success stories on kiwi; tried a pair a few years ago that didn't even winter.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

I've always wondered about that honeyberry too.

I think Glen has the kiwi. Also I'm pretty sure someone in Minnesota is growing it - perhaps Jan or Rick?

• glen3a
    18 years ago

I do have arctic beauty kiwi, actinidia kolomitka for about 3 years now. I find it hardy, barely any winter damage, though I do ensure I bury it under a mound of snow. So far it's not a huge tall vine, so not hard to do.

One thing though, it's slower growing than I thought it would be and subject to chlorosis in wet locations (in clay soil). Then again, it's not suppose to survive wet locations, but mine did survive the soggy period last summer.

I find, however, it's not as quick growing as I would have liked, though in all fairness I did dig it up in it's second year to try to improve the soil underneath. Also, they say about the third year or so it begins to develop the attractive pink/white/green leaves. Mine still hasn't, but maybe this will be the year.

I also have actinidia arguta, this one is supposely less hardy. Can't really compare because it's against the south side of the house, so benefits from winter protection.

Regarding honeyberry, are we talking about lonicera caerulea, blue honeysuckle? If so, the April 2006 issue of Cdn Gardening has a brief article about this shrub and how some would like to turn it into a commercial crop on the prairies. Probably not worth buying the magazine just for the article (it's very brief) but it says the fruit is similar to blueberries (in taste?), bushes are attractive and non-suckering. The plants have withstood temps of -47C, while the blossoms (opening in early May) can withstand -7C, which is especially important since it blooms early. It says the only drawbacks are the odd shape to the berries and short harvest period (they were speaking from a "potential commercial crop" sort of perspective.

Glen

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

How much fruit do your kiwis produce, Glen?

Gardener for rthe Prairies had a good update on honeyberry status in Winter, 2005. The author, Bob Bors, PAg, says flavour is "quite variable, from a good sweet and sour, to bland or bitter"; "most people feel it is similar to a blueberry"..."others have described their flavour as similar to raspberries, blackberrries, rhubarb, saskatoons and black currants". (Hmmmmm, "tastes like chicken", LOL!)
    "The mild-flavoured ones are nice for fresh eating but I find the sour ones superior for cooking." "Bitterness can be found in the old 'sweetberry honeysuckles', such as 'Bugnet', that has been grown in Canada for over 60 years. That bitterness is strongly reminiscent of quinine....However, from what I have tasted, there are many Russian varieties with no bitterness."

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Yes, I've got 2 of the arctic beauty kiwis. They will be going into their fourth summer and my observations are pretty much the same as Glen's. They survive winter quite well, but are slow growing. Mine are about 2.5' tall, and haven't produced the variagated foliage yet, which is what I wanted them for in the first place. From what I've read, getting any amount of fruit is a rarity and should be treated like treasure ;)

Laurie

• echoes_or
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh thank you for your responses.. Winter is important but so is the 50 degree flucuations I get during the summer months. From what I gather these all should do me fine. Again thanks.

• organic_nancy
    17 years ago

I have kolomitka growing to at least 12 feet in southeast Alaska. They are maybe 3-4 years old. No winter die back, no flowers, no fruit, no pink and white. I worry that the male plant died, because I have heard that the pink and white happens on male vines. But, if no flowers it doesn't matter either one gets flowers, right? Some years ago I had vines with fruit not more than four ft from this location, but a dog chewed the vine down. It was delicious. I like berries more than dogs, but he belongs to a neighbor. Anyway, that's what makes me persist with these. I can't remember if the successful vines were kolomitka or arguta. I just can't remember, darn!

• glen3a
    17 years ago

Laurie and Nancy, I see I am not alone in my confusion regarding arctic kiwi. Furthermore, the more sites you read about this plant, the more confusion.

I read that they are suppose to start developing their famous colors the second year. For me it's been about 3 years now (this might be the fourth year) and no color. Apparently (according to some sources) the female plant does produce some colored leaves, but not as much as the male.

My male plant did bloom this year, but then the buds got nipped by frost. Just as well, the female plant didn't bloom at all and even if she did, I doubt a foot high vine would produce alot of fruit.

I think I should be trimming my vine. My largest vine, the male, has about four branches going off in all different directions. Each branch is maybe 18 inches long. Perhaps I should trim it down to just two branches and try to train them up a trellis? That's how slow growing it's been. I planted them a few years ago, thinking I'll wait to put up the trellis later on.

By the way, do you guys have your vines in sun or part shade? Here too different websites say different things. Some say full sun for the fruit to ripen. Others say full sun might scorch the white or pink leaves (if they ever get them, that is.)

I admit to becoming impatient with this plant. A clematis would have been gorgeous by now.

FYI Nancy, I do recall reading an article about cat's having a certain fondness for kiwi. The vine, not the fruit. Not sure why, but they said to be careful if you have a cat as they might chew the vine. Maybe it's the same for dogs?

Regards,
    Glen

• zima
    17 years ago

I have honeyberries ripening in my yard. I have read all the articles mentioned in this thread. I bought 2 Blue Belle and 2 Berry Blues from DNA Gardens last spring. They were 4-5" sticks. They came dormant. I kept them in the pots until August while my beds were being made. By that time they brunched and grew into small shrubs 1-1.5' tall. They went through winter, no any damage. They leaved out very early, before anything else, they flowered (very light yellow flowers) and I have now a small crop of berries. A few of the berries on the top brunches already light blue colour and will be ready in a few days. Most of the berries are on the lower branches and are still green. As soon as I try them, I will report. Overall I find this plant amazing!!! To grow so fast and to give berries first year. WOW. The shrub itself is nice rounded shape. Berry Blue is taller that Blue Belle. I have them in my mixed bed. with fruit trees, shrubs and flowers around. They look very good.
    I grew male plant Actinidia Kolomikta- Arctic Kiwi for a few years in my privious house. It was outstanding vine. It covered my garage wall in 3 years, was very fast grower, never had any winter damage, had nice small flowers in the spring, was very bright light green all summer long. I had it on the western wall with sun after 3 p.m. I never got pink leaves on it. But I never missed it. I left it with the house when we moved. In my new house I planted male and female Arctic Kiwi in the fall. They went fine through the winter and look healthy and vigoroues I have a foot of growth in all directions on each one and they already flower. I will see how fast they grow in this location.
    Ella

• echoes_or
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh thank you for answering me after this time. I thought they all looked so interesting. Like to have personal testimonials though you know... That's the frugal part of me I guess... Have a hard time ordering anything off a menu also for the same reason.

Again thank you.