Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shillanorth

Spring!!!!!!

shillanorth Z4 AB
11 years ago

We had about 4 inches of fresh spring snow this morning and 2 robins in the crabapple tree!!!!

Comments (19)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Not spring here. :( We got the new snow a couple of days ago, but robins would be foolish to come back this soon. Though i think last year they were back on the 16th. However that was LAST year - way different from this year!

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Not spring here either. We haven't even had a thaw yet, although it gets close enough to freezing most days that we're losing a bit of snow on the boulevards and south facing spots.

It can't come soon enough for me. :(

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Definitely not spring here. We've still be having plenty of -16 to -20 nights. Supposedly, Wednesday is supposed to get up to plus 1, but we shall see.

I'm so ready to start seeing the geese coming back! Usually after they come back, we still have a bit more winter conditions and THEN it will be spring(because every year I see them sitting on the ice of the slough's looking cold and awkward!). But I haven't seen any yet around here. *siiigghh*

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Yeah...I would say the same when the Robins arrive, my guess another couple of weeks or more for the Robins from Fort Macleod,...good for you!

Here, snow still knee deep, I like it that way, good snow cover is still better for plants at this time of the year. And when the snow goes the ground is not frozen, I can dig right away,...then it's official spring for me LOL.

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

Saw a gopher a couple of weeks ago, but have since had snow. Although we are about zero most days. Neighbour is up to 15 calves already, we will start in a couple of weeks, that means spring to me. Cheryl

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Cheryl, we actually calve in winter! We calve out about 550 cows, and also grain farm, so we start calving at the end of January to get them all done before seeding starts. I'm afraid calving means miserably cold middle of the winter for us!

Hope you have a good calving season.

Sounds like Alberta has been warmer than Saskbush!

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

I was born and raised till jr. high in Sask. I remember those winters well, most of my family is still there. I'll take AB winters but oh how I miss your growing season. Mine is so short with frost hitting in every month, including July and Aug depending on the year. Challenges everywhere I guess. C

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southern Alberta has been ridiculously warm this winter. This photo was taken mid February and these daffodils are on the north side of the house. When I was growing up here, we had chinooks and mild weather but much longer stretches with snow and wintery weather. I must say, after spending so many years in the NWT I miss the guaranteed snow cover. It really is beautiful. Geese and ducks are year round residents here and have been for 20 years or so.

• Collin001
    11 years ago

Lots of snow here. At least knee deep or better. It is going to be another swampy spring like it was '11 as flood forcasts are already in the paper for MJ-Regina, Indian Head region. It is going to be a nightmare for this low property of mine for the next month and half.

This post was edited by Collin001 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 16:21

• thirsty_dirt_77
    11 years ago

A few days okay we had almost no snow and it was +5C - my lilies were already feeding the deer.

Today there's close to 4 inches of fresh snow and its -16C without the windchill. And I'm not complaining (too much) because the moisture is needed!!!

• User
    11 years ago

from zone 4a to 2a we still are in full snow mode here no hope of spring for another month at least.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A big wind yesterday - +14C and all of the snow gone again. This morning, a robin sitting on the power line and a gull went wheeling by - not sure the species. Today, calm, frosty and overcast, frosty. Who will show up tomorrow!

• User
    11 years ago

another 8" of snow last night so far we have over 1 1/2 feet more this week. So not fun with a broken foot. I am thinking spring is not going to be until at least August this year LOL

• strangely-enough
    11 years ago

Spring continues to ellude us - it is -22 this morning. No day time highs over the zero mark yet. We have "LOTS" of snow to melt. At this rate it will be July before we get to the garden!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

Man I feel for you strangely-enough, photo is from last week but not much has changed +12 in SE BC right now.

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Wow, SE, where are you located? That looks like fresh snow. We still have lots, but nothing recent.

• User
    11 years ago

Wha HOO!! no more snow on my back deck.....................but the yard is a different story our neighbours yard looks like Strangely's pic.

• strangely-enough
    11 years ago

We live in Brandon and the picture was taken on March 5, have had more since then. It took my husband and his tractor/ snowblower days to cut down that drift which was in our side driveway.

• User
    11 years ago

Yesterday was a nice melt day I can almost see my bale garden. Supposed to hit +7 today. Strangely hope you don't get too much more.