Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximillian Sunflowers

Posted by braeburn040 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:56

I came across this flower in an old "Fine Gardening"
magazine Maximillian Sunflower (Helianthus Maximillanii)
The article states they are native from Texas to Saskatchewan. It is a perennial and we would like to grow some, does anyone on this forum grow them? I checked Stokes, and William Dam and West Coast Seeds, and they don't list them, maybe they only grow wild. I'd appreciate any feed-back.
Chic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximillian Sunflowers

I have seen them in catalogues but I`m not sure, I think they fell out of favour due to their floppiness. There are other,similar ones that I have grown that are very nice. Heliopsis `Summer Sun` comes to mind - grows about 4 feet tall and blooms from June to October.

Sheila

o

Seeds are available at Thompson and Morgan. Here's the link. :)

http://www.thompsonmorgan.ca/category/s?keyword=sunflower

Ginny

o

This is a native prairie plant also known as Narrow Leaved Sunflower. I grow this in a partly shaded area but I think it prefers full sun. It does tend to be floppy where I have it positioned and does need some staking to keep it upright but I think that adds to its native appeal. If you only like plants that grow straight and tall its not for you! It blooms for a very long time later summer into late fall and like most prairie plants it will spread to some degree but has not been a problem for me. Plants are available from Prairie Originals near Selkirk Manitoba and likely she has seeds as well They do mailorder if you are not closeby. Check out their website as they have other native sunflowers available.

o

I grew this sunflower but was quite dissapointed. It does NOT grow like the pictures. It turns itself into gargantuan Grand-daddy-longleggs. Plus mine, had whitish leaves, and I couldn't determine if it was powdery mildew or if it is just the color of their leaves...either way was very ugly. And the flowers, they weren't as plentiful as the pictures show either, but they were admittedly...very sunny. For me this native takes up too much prime real estate to be a favorite. Oh, yeah, since it is perennial...pruning chores are amped up to the tenth power. It needs it constantly to keep it contained...and it's very hard to kill out once you decide you don't like it anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here