Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating red currants

Posted by bad_dog NW Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 13:59

I have one red currant bush and it looks awfully lonely so I'd like to try propagating a few more bushes. I have never tried root cuttings before so would like a little direction. When is the earliest that I can take cuttings from my bush. It is not totally snow free yet here and it's well below 0 (C) at night. I have root stim, is that what most of you use? What kind of medium do I put the cuttings into. A neighbour says I should just put them in a pail of water but I think I read somewhere that this just waterlogs the roots and they don't function properly when potted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating red currants

Are the stems long enough that you could just bend them over and sink them under some soil come spring? They root easily this way.

o

Thanks, I have tried that with my gooseberry plants with some success. I am just anxious to get started on something for my garden and it's too early to start my tomatoes. I haven't tried cuttings and thought that now is the time.

o

My book says for red-currents:
Hardwood cuttings to midwinter. 1 foot long. Remove buds from bottom, 7 inches, stick 6" into potting media. No mention of bottom heat.

o

The variety you are growing is probably Red lake. If you take dormant cuttings you can propogate them quite easily. I have just put them directly into the ground with lots of success. If you use bottom heat it's important to make sure the ambient air temperature isn't to warm otherwise the plant will throw out leaves and won't root.

Good luck

o

Can I propagate red currants in the late summer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here