Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Sniffing the dirt :)

I had to go to a local hardware store at lunch time and it's the one with an attached greenhouse, so of course.... Mmmmmm - petunias, calliboacha, a few geraniums, all blooming. It was lovely! There's a callibroacha i haven't seen before called "Celebration Star", orange with a yellow "star" - very pretty!

Good therapy. When i went back outside, it was starting to snow. :(

Comments (12)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Our local g/h will be open this weekend to the public, can't wait to see what they have for new plants. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh earth. Ok, maybe cash smells better ;)

If you keep saying that S*** word we will never have Spring Marcia ;)

Sharon

• trisha_51
    15 years ago

Wonderful smell! So looking forward to being able to get out there and dig and dig (did I say play?). Just like little kids playing in the dirt, gardeners never grow up! :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's s***ing out there right now - seems like spring isn't going to come anyway!! :(

• luckygal
    15 years ago

When I walked out in the garden this morning with the cat (indoor cat but she likes going out in my arms) I noticed the scent of soil for the first time this year so guess it's finally thawing a bit. Also got the scent of coffee grounds from my large piles of UCG. Can't hardly wait to start spreading that stuff around and playing with compost! Still too much of the white stuff altho it's going.

The garden nurseries aren't all open around here yet and I'm resisting even looking. Too tempting and I dislike having to hold plants over.

Spring is coming, spring is coming, spring is coming... keep repeating to self!

• celtic_07
    15 years ago

I've been getting my fill of dirt ,plants,plugs, seedlings etc. as I work in a commerical greenhouse( did I say work?you're right Trisha it is like playing) only I get paid to do so.Didn't get in today due to the HEAVY WET STUFF but tomorrow my fingers will be running thru the dirt and not the never ending snow.
    Lois

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Hey Marcia,

Well, the nursery here, we only have one, has no plants in yet. All they have is the bulbs and things that come in the bags...and they cut way back here. They should be getting some in soon though. I'll be sniffing around waiting. snif snif snif...

BTW it has snowed here 2 days this week. We still have a good 4 feet of snow....someone send us a nice warm wind. At this point I think spring got lose. :O

Sierra

Original Author
    15 years ago

You aren't out there dancing, Sierra? Time for a spring dance!

We've had several days of it as well, but it's mild and the roads are mostly just slushy. This morning wasn't so great, though - the highway is closed west of us, so there were transports lined up in the westbound lane for 5 miles! I was going east, so i made it through, but it was pretty slow. Enough of this already!!

I won't have time this week, but next week i'm going to stop at the big greenhouse and see what's in there. :)

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

I HAVE been dancin', but somethin' went wrong....It started snowing again. shrug!

Sierra

Original Author
    15 years ago

You must have bowed to the north instead of the south, or do-si-doed in the wrong direction. Try again!

• jungseed
    15 years ago

Marcia - please turn up the heat outside. It's only about a month and a half till I get back there. And you know how long that pre-heat can take.
    My dance must not be working either. I hear 8-15 cm of that stuff here on Sunday.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Ruth, the knob seems to be stuck.... :(

• sprayman
    15 years ago

Last couple of days was out removing the dirt in my raised grow beds. Now just got to amend it & put it all back in.