Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Anybody Else Starting Seeds to Celebrate 1st Day of Spring?

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

Well, we managed to survive another winter, and to celebrate, I'm going to start my first ever flower seeds indoors.

I've got my trays, my Pro-mix seed starting mix, my warm spot, and my lights and shelves are ready when I need them.

I suppose I should read the seed packages to see what to plant. I'm confident it'll be warm enough 6-8 weeks from now to plant "my first little ones" outside.

Anyone else?

Comments (4)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I already have petunias, impatiens and lobelia started. I'm thinking that maybe i'll start a few more things on Easter weekend. But i do have a bale of Promix, so the temptation may get the better of me before then!

• DrHorticulture_
    14 years ago

Well, meteorologically, the first day of spring was 20 days ago. The media, for some unknown reason, still clings to the astronomical definitions of the seasons which were originally established for stargazing. That's why you see ridiculous news reports like "it's June 19th and it's unusually hot for a spring day!" or "it's September 18th and we had a summer frost, omg!".

Anyway, excuse my rant :) I planted broccoli, peas, spinach, chard, green onions, carrots and asian greens this past week. I hope to transplant them outside to a cold frame as soon as the weather gets warmer and drier - hopefully by mid-April.

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I never thought about it as celebrating spring, but I am planting. Yesterday I was planting petunias, and I almost dropped the package, which of course meant I sprayed seeds all over the place - unfortunately NOT in the direction of the seed tray. I used a damp hand to pick them up off the basement floor and brushed them off over the potting mix, but most of them are gone. RATS!! I planted up some nolana, datura, and pansies, and have a bunch more seeds I'm planning to start this week. Then in about 3 weeks, I'll plant my tomatoes, marigolds, and few other faster growing plants like alyssum.
    I do have tulips and daffofils blooming in the house, from some bulbs I picked up on clearance after the ground froze, so that feels pretty springy.

Connie

• stanly
    14 years ago

I've already planted Petunias about a month ago and they are growing quickly in their 4 cell pack that they were transplanted into. I have about 150 petunias which are a mix of Purple and Blue wave, Tidal wave silver and cherry and some new yellow ones. Some of these are getting to the point where there are some 2" stems so as soon as they get about 3" long I will start to take cuttings. I also have about 36 Foxy Foxgloves which I will transplant into 4" pots this weekend and keep in the greenhouse. I started Datura seeds as well about a month ago, 72 in a heated peat pellet starter kit, a whole bunch in a margarine container lined with a wet paper towel and kept on the warm part of a fluorescent lite fixture and another batch of seeds that are in 9 cell pack filled with vermiculite and are also in a heated seed starter. So far, 1 seed has germinated and since these are very fresh seeds from last years pods, it's very frustrating. I know they take a long time to germinate, but this is crazy. Stan

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus