Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed balls

Posted by honalee 3a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 15:50

I came across this page this morning and wondering if anyone has ever tried these. Many years ago I had received a note card in the mail with flower seeds pressed into paper. I planted them and they grew so well I thought I would try to repeat this idea myself. That worked well with perennials and I think this would be worth a shot. Good idea anyway. :) What do you think?

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed balls

Oops! Here's the link....... :)

http://heavypetal.ca/archives/2011/01/step-by-step-how-to-make-seed-balls/

Ginny

o

We made them at a hort. club meeting once. I don't remember how it did, though - maybe mine didn't get planted. I think we did them with paper toweling? (Didn't look at the link yet).

Here is a link that might be useful: The link

This post was edited by marciaz3 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 20:38

o

That's the link Marcia. :)

I also used paper towel or toilet paper or something like that. It actually worked quite well, I think. Same idea using strips of wet newspaper in rows I guess. :)

Ginny

o

I saw those at a seed exchange this weekend. I saw the end results and they were great, she just put them in a pot filled with soil and had lots of annuals growing. She also had the paper ones cut into shapes, bees and butterflies. I don't know what kind of paper she used tho. Great ideas!

o

Last year, I pre-spaced my carrots using 1 ply TP and a little water/cornstarch paste mixed together. Worked like a charm. No thinning seedlings YAY! The TP just dissolved and my carrots grew as normal.

Haven't tried seed balls.

o

I hope it is okay to paste a link to something similar to the seed ball - I like the idea and the poster did an excellent job with descriptions and photos. I always seed my carrots too thick, then fail to use the rake to thin them and regret it afterwards. So I'm gonna try a row using the tp method RWS shows.

I can see the value of the seed ball when guerrilla gardening - I've thought of doing that too.

Thanks for the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Seed Tape

o

I think I shall just stick to sowing carrots and lettuce with bran. I have neither the time nor the patience for homemade seed tape. Just as easy to thin the seedlings, IMO. :) Sowing them on top of moistened tp might be easy enough though. :)

Marg, I have made the tissue paper ones in the past as gifts for Easter and such. They actually work rather well. :)

Ginny

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 19:01

Thanks Ginny. I'll give it a try. The paper they were using looked more like crepe paper tho, not as light as tissue paper and sort of crinkly. Marg

o

Pretty much the same thing, just crinkled, as you said. Haha :) I think the tissue paper "streamers" just make it a bit thicker and easier to work with as long as one uses white or natural colored. The dye runs like crazy on the colored ones. :)

Ginny

o

I made seed tape last year with beet seeds on strips of adding machine tape. A dot of Elmers glue with a seed on top. It was nice because I was able to fold the paper in 1/2 then open it again to follow the line for placement. I actually didn't get them planted though, ran out of room in my garden, so not sure how they would work. I came across the directions somewhere here on Garden Web.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here