Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Snapdragons

northspruce
17 years ago

As you probably all know, I am a snapdragon fan. I always thought that they were called snapdragons because if you pull the bottom lip and let it go, it goes snap (how fun is that to do over & over? LOL!). But I read that the old-fashioned ones you squeeze and they somehow snap on their own. Does anyone know anything about this? And where I can get seeds?

Comments (19)

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

As far as I know all snapdragons can be 'snapped' by squeezing the 'hinges' together slightly, at least that's how we always did it as kids. Some definitely snap better than others. Let us know how you make out! :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh is that what it is? I feel silly now. I will give it a try this summer. Thanks GC.

• plantaddict487
    17 years ago

Speaking of snapdragons, does anyone know if they will self-seed in a large concrete container? I left the dead stuff on over winter hoping the seeds would fall and self-seed. They are in the large industrial planters, three of them that are completely covered with plowed snow from the walk way. Any thoughts on this???

BJ in SW MB

• northspruce
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BJ, I have never had snaps self-seed but perhaps they will for you. They sure do make a lot of seeds. And they are a reasonably hardy annual. Let us know if you have any luck.

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

BJ, I can't say that I have ever had snaps self-seed for me, but I have had them over winter and grow and flower the next season in my yard.

I had a friend in zone 4 that never bought snaps because they always self-seeded for her. She was always giving snaps away in the spring. They were very prolific for her.

I guess you will have to wait and see...be sure to let us know if they do.

Sierra :-)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I wonder if it depends on the variety of snapdragons to self-seed? Awhile back we had discussed morning glories and re-seeding, and the consensus seemed to be that only a few of the varieties were reliable self-seeders in colder zones, so maybe it's the case with snaps too.

Laurie

• mytime
    17 years ago

Although they don't germinate prolifically, I'm always surprised somewhere in the yard with self-seeded snapdragons. And I get the coolest colors that way!

• newgrdenrmn
    17 years ago

I planted some in my garden the summer of 2005 and I had twice as much last summer. I am looking forward to seeing them again this year!

• garden_chicken
    16 years ago

Gil, are your snapdragons snapping?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I also had some re-seed this year. A nice dark red colour.:)

• seauld
    16 years ago

Those of you who've mentioned your Snaps self-seeding, do you happen to know what varieties they are? Or what varieties you started with? My mom loves snapdragons and I've been looking to add them to our garden for a while, and self-seeding ones would be ideal.

Thanks =)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Garden Chicken, actually my snapdragons are sucking this year. There are only two measly ones blooming but I tried them out today and they do sorta snap. They were so beautiful last year, I guess they liked my old garden better.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Prairiegirl, the variety I started with last year was Ribbon Crimson, and they re-seeded this year.

• seauld
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie! I'll keep my eyes out for them. :)

• laurie_edm
    16 years ago

I have had snapdragons self seed, but not reliably. Every year here in the zone 3 magic garden, I have a couple of volunteers. I suspect much depends on the weather - I had masses of snaps either over winter or self seed in a zone 2 raised bed one year out of the 4 or so that I lived there.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

The 'Sonnet' series is top rated in trials and 'Cinnamon Bronze is a unique and beautiful color.

I've often had seedlings self sow, though I mostly end up with plain yellows, which I guess, are dominate.

Terry

• christinela
    13 years ago

I planted some snapdragons last fall. The blooms faded but the foliage stayed lush. Now that it's getting warm here, they foliage has started growing like crazy. Will it rebloom? Should I cut the foliage back at all? I have not cut it back since planting. Thanks for your advice!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

christinela, if your plants are bushy and compact then just leave them be, otherwise cut them back if they're lanky. Yes, they'll flower for you again, they should give a few flushes of bloom this spring and into summer if you keep the spent blooms removed. Though, I don't know how well they'll continue to flower through extreme summer heat. I think that snap dragons are short lived "tender" perennials.

Terrance

• christinela
    13 years ago

Thank you, Terrance!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting