Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

I bought roses

northspruce
12 years ago

I can't tell my husband so I'm going to tell you. I bought roses today. Lots of expensive roses. mwahahahaha!

Comments (16)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

But, you can tell us what varieties you've purchased, we won't tell on you, lol.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Are you going to hide them and plant them one by one and hope he doesn't notice? =:) I know people who do that with clothing, LOL!

Yes, do tell. What varieties and from where?

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh I love the sneakiness of it all! *evil laugh* My husband wouldn't notice if I planted a giant redwood in the middle of the front yard! Unless it had chocolate leaves.......lol.

Yes, I'm with the others . Do tell what cultivars you bought! :)

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I bought roses this year too and my husband won't notice a thing!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's right, I'll plant them when he's not home, or just not looking (which is all the time), and he'll think they're the same old ones I already had.

I got Koenigin von Danemark, Fantin Latour, Chloris, and Cardinal de Richelieu.

I have a romantic notion to grow all the Alba roses eventually. It was a difficult decision because Pickerings has some other Albas and some are being discontinued, which means I'll have trouble finding them in future. But I don't like Pickerings' root grafting. Although I have two of their roses that are so humungous now that I'm sure they've grown their own roots.

Marcia, what did you buy? :D

12 years ago

I've ordered Prairie Snowdrift and Bill Reid from McFayden. I find it hard to resist anything white, and as for Bill Reid, i think he'll go nicely with Morden Sunrise. I'd really like Emily Carr too, but haven't succumbed yet. :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should just buy the other ones from Pickerings shouldn't I.

(BTW Marcia Emily Carr is a great rose. I bought it for my Mom a few years ago and it's a very, very nice rose and would look nice at your place too hahaha)

12 years ago

Enabler.....

:>

Definitely - buy them all while you can!

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

I think you should buy them all, too. I would =:)

You'll kick yourself later if you don't.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Yes, buy them all.

I have to enjoy roses vicariously because they don't like my soil (too much clay = chlorosis) so buy them all and post a ton of pics.

• savona
    12 years ago

Yup..as long as I am spending your money..buy buy buy...lol.. I have a plant buying itch going on right now too and don't know how long I can hold off. I am hoping by the time I can get to the nearest big city that Art Knapp's nursery, Home Depot and Wal-Mart will have the body bags of plants and bulbs starting to come in. Unfortunately DH checks the mail on his way hoime from work and I can't slip mail ordered plants past him...lol
    Jean

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I get mine shipped to my work. :D

Not even to be deceptive though, I receive them right faster and they don't sit on my doorstep in the sun all day.

I'm thinking I will do the right thing and not buy any more. I already bought over a hundred dollars of hostas in the fall... these 4 roses were $90... yikes.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

LMAO over this thread! We sound like a bunch of addicts for sure! And I should know as I am a retired addictions counsellor...........flowers are my drugs!!! I have ordered my irises and some daylilies so far this year even though I said I wasn't going to......since I have no idea how long we will be here.....and I have about 100 DLs in the garage yet to plant.......I love it!

Jean, the body bags are already in Walmart.....I bought a bag of ruffled glads and an Acupulco lily. My DH went back to work last week and I have to do the shopping again. That means I am out of hibernation and will be out of money before too long! :)

Ginny the flower addict

12 years ago

Our darn Walmart doesn't seem to get the bodybag roses anymore. One year they had them on sale for 4.99. For that price, you can treat them as annuals- and i did!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't seen bodybags for a few years either! I loved those things... great for getting the old but good varieties.

My Walmart does get nice 1 gallon pot roses though. About $12 if I recall. Sometimes I just pick the healthiest looking one and buy it whatever it is.

12 years ago

Yes, i think that's where i got my Morden Sunrise - the original one croaked and i bought a new one last year. I just had it in a container all summer and buried it in the vegetable garden for the winter.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!