Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer chewed down....

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 18:17

Several of my pine trees lower branches...they'll survive but now look ugly.
It's been a tough year for deers with all that snow.

March 20, 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer chewed down....

That poor animal.

Those poor trees.

Have you noticed if all the wildlife on your property are suffering from this winter?

o

It's been a very difficult winter for deer and other wildlife.... humans too! Often we can see several deer in the thick stand of trees behind our home, though they've not been seen for many weeks now, not even so much as any fresh tracks have been spotted. It appears we're in for a slow thaw and this means many more difficult weeks ahead for them ... I think that a large number of deer will not make it through this very snowy long drawn out winter.

o

There is somebody in my neighborhood who cleared some snow from
the road into the bush and what seems he put hay down for them.
I'm a bit hesitant to feed but I do a little to keep the pressure down
on my trees, I give them corn and sunflower...not very much, it would
be too expensive. Deer take my trail I use to get in and out...even
sleep on it.
March 16, 2011

o

We're still seeing quite a few deer around here, though the dog seems to have gotten the message about keeping them off the property. Our neighbour up the road feeds them (hopefully that will keep them there) and we often see them crossing the road to her house. There have been a lot of deer on the north sides of the highway because the snow has melted there, and unfortunately, several killed over the past couple of weeks. :(

o

We have had four deer coming into our subdivision from the river valley. They were in the park behind us last night. I count them every time because we are on a bus route and I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here