Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 18:41

After years of saying I wouldn't plant any more bulbs for the voles, I gave in and bought some dahlia tubers at HD. They were 2 varieties to a pkg. and I bought 2 pkg. Today I potted them up. I didn't realize how much I was getting, each variety had 5-6 tubers. They were Minnesota, Orion, Arabian Night and Le Baron. The only thing is none were seperately labeled so I should get nice surprises popping up! I also bought a new hosta called 'Yellow splash Rim'. It was already in leaf in the pkg. and is 3". While I was in buying mode, I decided to buy some viola seeds, I plant them in the hosta garden. I bought 3 different types of pansies, 1 pkg. of violas and 2 types of petunias. Think I will stop buying for now. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 19:09

Oh no no no Marg..never say you quit buying for now. Now things will leap right off the shelf into your hands...lol. Arabian Nights is one of my favorite dahlias. I bought another Star's Favorite to replace the one I lost from last year. I start Dahlias from seed but cant resist the packages in the store with their lovely faces on them 8-)
Jean

o

I love Arabian Night. This year was the first in a long time that it didn't come out of storage in good shape, so I went right out and bought another one. I have more expensive and harder to get varieties, but I have to say that most summers, Arabian Night puts on a fabulous show that is hard to beat.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 8:21

Jean, I don't think I will ever quit buying, it's to much fun! Good to hear about Arabian Night! Years ago I had one called Fuzzy Wuzzy that I wouldn't mind finding again. Mine rotted in the ground a few years ago when we had a really wet summer. Actually the dahlias were DH idea. I expect he will get more because he really likes the big flowers. I got interested in them again when I saw Alan's post on the daylily forum. He lives in Australia and his dahlias were just as nice as his daylilies. Marg

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 14:37

Some years are great dahlia years and some aren't. Last year was almost a bust. Arabian night did bloom really well regardless of the cool wet summer and the huge infestation of aphids it got.
Jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here