Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

dahlias from seed

marricgardens
14 years ago

Last year I decided to try and start some. I quickly learned that I had started them to early so this year I will plant new seeds in March. I didn't know if they would have any tubers but they did have small ones. I was doubtful they would survive so I bought new seeds when they came on sale. I decided to store the tubers over winter and see what would happen to them. The other day I went out to check on them and they had sprouted shoots! I have planted them up and will see how they perform this year. I can never get the big tubers to survive when I store them so this was a big surprise. Marg

Comments (11)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Marg, I've grown dwarf varietes such as 'Figaro', these have done very well, but timing is important, especially so as not to start too early! An early April sowing is good and should produce 4 inch transplants that grow vigorously.

I think it also may be a bit too early for having started those tubers of yours. Alhough, I no longer keep dahlias over, I previously had started them into growth in early April and would always have real nice sturdy plants to set out. I hope this helps :)

Terry

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Terry. The seeds I planted last year were from a trade. I believe the name of them was 'Figuro'. I was planning on starting my new ones Apr. 1. I always get impatient to start seeds and end up starting them to early. Marg

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Terry. The seeds I planted last year were from a trade. I believe the name of them was 'Figuro'. I was planning on starting my new ones Apr. 1. I always get impatient to start seeds and end up starting them to early. Marg

• morphoz3a_ab
    14 years ago

Hi

Can you keep us posted on the success of the tubers?

I love Dahlias and I start Figaro and Harlequin every year from seed. When I've pulled them after the frost has killed them I've noticed fairly big tubers too, but I never thought to try and overwinter them (I'll get them before the frost this year).

I always start my seeds about 8 weeks before the last frost to get them big enough to transplant at the end of May - so mid-March here in Calgary. It might be nice to save some seed starting room.

I'm intrigued!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I planted the sprouted tubers 2 days before I posted. One of them is now poking up thru the soil. The tubers were only about 1-1 1/2" long and the sprout that has emerged is very thin. Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps on growing!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry: My dahlias are now abour 4" tall and looking good. As usual I think I planted to early!

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I have some tubers grown from seed that will be going into their third year. Most of them seem to be doing very well. You can also do cuttings from your seed dahlias if you like - they root quite well.

Connie

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Connie, good to know. Do you root the cuttings in water or vermiculite? Do you use rooting hormone on them? When I root things I usually just use Pro Mix. Marg

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I've just used some rooting hormone and planted them in promix. I keep a clear plastic cover over them until they've rooted.

Connie

• morphoz3a_ab
    13 years ago

Hi

How are everyone's tubers doing? Have you planted out yet, or are they still inside?

Everything is still inside for me; this rotten winter - I mean spring I guess.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The small tubers I planted are growing well. I haven't started them out yet because I think we are still in for a frost or at least very cold temps. Some of the news ones I started from seed will be potted up in large pots and placed outside the greenhouse door. Marg

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting