Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oops, what can i do now?

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 19:00

I've had container lilies for a few years now, and what i've done in the fall is take the clump out of the container and plant it in the ground for the winter. When i transplanted to a larger container, i buried the container itself in the ground. Last year, i transplanted them into a much larger container, so for the winter, i put them in the garage where we keep our potatoes and onions. Today i dragged the container out to find that the lilies had sprouted and there are ghostly stems about a foot long. I took it out and it's in the cold frame right now (it's +10) and i'll bring it inside later - had to clear a space for it in the porch.

Can the stems be cut off or trimmed back? I kind of don't think so. Now i'm going to have to rethink this - maybe split the clump in the fall and plant smaller clumps into the ground. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oops, what can i do now?

Hi Marcia ... best not to cut those stems back, they are very unlikely to produce any new shoots this year. These ghostly white stems will green up and go on to flower pretty much as normal.

Terry

o

Thanks, Terry!

o

Marcia, the same thing has happened to me last year, so yeah, I speak from experience :)

o

Did you split the clump last fall, then?

o

These had been bulbs that I had needed to remove from a particular location and had simply thrown them into a pot to hold over for the winter ... I now know better than to keep them in the coldroom where they sprout too dang early.

o

Thanks, Terry. The shoots are greening up already. I'll either split the clump this fall or try to unpot the whole thing and plant it in the veg. garden.

I often think with envy of Sharon's pump house where she's able to store so many things. It stays above freezing all winter, but not too warm where things might sprout too early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here