Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Spring 2009 Acquisitions

Crazy_Gardener
15 years ago

I figured I'd start a new 2009 acquisitions for all our "finds" so that everyone can get in on the good deals.

Today, I went shopping at Walmart and picked up a bag of (2) Dahlia decorative Arabian Nights for $6.98, they were all ready sprouting and felt sorry for them and brought them home and potted them up ;)

Any good finds at your local nurseries/ stores?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring 2007 Acquisitions

Comments (36)

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Saturday I was in our local green house and picked up OT Conca d'Or lilies for $2.99 each. They had Gloriosa Rothschildiana (climbing lilies) for $3.99 and a couple of these followed me home too. Great prices with superior bulbs. Plus they were offering a free Futurity red Canna lily with any bulb purchase.
    Today I ran back after seeing what the bulbs were like and picked up more OT lilies for $2.99...Robina, Red Dutch, and Black Beauty. And I got another Futurity red Canna free.

Shelley

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

I was driving by Lougheed today and stopped in at their garden center. They had the same lineup of bulbs you got Shelley, but not for that price:)
    I did however buy 1 OT Conca d'Or lily for $3.99 and 1 Black Beauty for $4.99. I wanted a black leaf Canna, but they appeared to be all rotting in the bags:(
    At the beginning of March, I picked up quite a few lilies (red dutch was one) at Costco - 18 lily bulbs for $17.99
    Mixed Trumpets - 12 for $17.99
    Deb

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

You guys are getting some good deals on those lily bulbs! I kinda now feel ripped off after purchasing most of them at a rather higher cost through mail order, but how's a person to know? I'll be looking for that Conca d'Or, have seen photos posted on GW and it looks great.

BTW ... Robina smells REALLY GOOD!

Terry

• bdgardener
    15 years ago

I too had good luck with the costco liies, 18 for 11.99 after coupon. had to pot them up cause they were already sprouting. Picked up 50 mixed glad bulbs for 9.99 at walmart. The expensive ones I ordered from Vesey's last year did not store well and look pitiful. Hope I get something out of them. Also bought a package of mix peonies (5) 9.99 from walmart (just pinks, not too exciting but I couldn't resist) potted them up too as they were sprouting. The house is a jungle. Cheryl

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

I again ordered the Costco lilies online, 100 lilies for $75. I ordered them last year, too - very nice quality bulbs.

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

I have to check out those Arabian nights at Walmart. Had to take my one back to Home Depot because the stem was rotting and started growing mould as soon as I opened it up and added a little water. I think sticking to already sprouting ones isn't a bad idea.

Does Far North sale start tomorrow? One of my Martagon's from last years sale has sprouted a leaf in the fridge.

• gladzoe
    14 years ago

Garden's north seed sale and it does start today!!

• bdgardener
    14 years ago

Went back to costco today, they still have a great selection of bulbs and perenials. Picked up another bag of lilies ( Cheops-yellow with red centers and Black Out- reddish orange) still 17.99 for 18. Not bad, I think. Cheryl

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Welllllll, I was going to cut back on glads this year...but the darn things keep jumping into my cart, evertime I go shopping. What is with that anyway?

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I got 3 aconitum roots today at Canadian Tire. I'd just been thinking about aconitum - something i don't have yet. Now i do. :) They have roses out there too, but i resisted!

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Oh dear...

I dashed of to my favourite nursery that is a couple hours drive away. I was looking for planting pots. lol Didn't get any planting pots.....but came home with....3 more lilies, 2 more iris and an oriental poppy.

Sierra .....who now has every available window sill covered in plant pots. lol

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

You wanna see my windows! My greenhouse cover died this year and am still wanting a "real" greenhouse! That is what my kitchen and front hall look like now! Greenhouses!

Good to know I am not alone in this addiction!!HaHa

Ginny

• gladzoe
    14 years ago

Not sure where I'm going to put everything, I have a relatively small yard!!
    My Vesey's order arrived today.
    Bleeding Heart
    Crocosmia
    Liatris Blazing Stars
    Salvia 'May Night'
    Trollius 'Golden Queen'
    Lucifer Crocosmia
    Growing Pots
    Skaugum Begonias

I also got to Walmart and picked up the Arabian nights, along with 5 peonies for $10 and 5 Cala's for 10.

Also got my Garden's north seeds:
    ACTINIDIA - kolomikta
    CLEMATIS - macropetala cultivar
    Hibiscus - moscheutos (White)
    HIPPOPHAE - rhamnoides
    Impatiens - balfouri
    LILIUM - martagon
    LILIUM - michiganense
    Lilium - martagon album
    Lilium - martagon colour
    Lilium - regale
    LUNARIA - annua
    PRUNUS - tomentosa
    Prunus - virginiana
    Prunus - nigra
    Weigela - florida
    CLEMATIS - viticella

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our local Canadian Tire have 30% off on assorted Clematis and 9cm pots of ass't perennials for $2.49 and up.
    Not too shabby ;)

Sharon

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Picked up my Blue Moon Wisteria yesterday. I had to get it special ordered since no one here really knows about it.

HD is having a BOGO sale on shrubs till Monday, you need a coupon. Go to redflagdeals.com to get it.

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

I bought a crabapple tree and an apple tree yesterday...and a little Rhodo...at Costco.

Sierra

• savona
    14 years ago

A few weeks ago I bought a bag of 3 Crimson Pirate and a bag of 3 Night Beacon daylilies from HD. The first one to bloom is a Crimson Pirate. It is probably a TC daylily or maybe the first bloom is a little confused (it doesnt look quite right) but it is nice and bright anyway. 8-)..Jean

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful daylily, Jean.

I mentioned this in the "Spring?" thread..but I'll say it again: the Saskatoon Superstore (I went to the one on 8th st.) had really, really cheap plants for sale. Very nice hostas well leafed out for $3.50-4.00. There were also cheap daylilies..I'm sure the annuals were quite cheap also, but I have eyes only for perennials. ;) They had dwarf conifers such as Pinus Mugo Pumilio, Picea Abies Ohlendorffii, and many spreading junipers for 7.99 (they are small though). I bought a nice double flowering plum for $14.99..it was a fair size.

All of them seemed very healthy - the selection isn't picked over at all(yet).

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Got a Graham Thomas rose (yes! score!) at Sobey's and a Josee lilac.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That daylily is sur' beautiful Jean!

Today I had to get a new nozzle and a Dracena plant at CT today and lo and behold I won $5 from the scratch and win ;)

Sharon

• glen3a
    14 years ago

I haven't really found anything this year but if you like patio tropicals Rona has a nice selection of hibiscus (braided and standard and shrub), mandevilla, dipladenia, other blooming tropicals at fairly reasonable prices.

In past years, I found that W-mart gets a supply of one-gallon conifers in at the end of April and sometimes you can find some unusual ones. In past years I've found 'curly tops' falsecypress and 'degroot's spire' cedar in the selection. The irony was that I couldn't find degroots spire anywhere the year before, and here there were just a few of them, in a batch in the least likely place.

14 years ago

This week i acquired a Kyushi (i think) hydrangea and Philadelphus "Minnesota Snowflake". I've wanted a mockorange for years - had a couple but they got mowed. This one is larger and easier to see if the grass gets too long! LOL Also, i've gotten a Karl Foerster grass and a pretty lamium that reminds me of the "Golden Anniversary" i had for a few years. Oh, and a clematis from Canadian Tire (never won anything on the scratch, though).

• savona
    14 years ago

I have no shame, I buy something every chance I get and I don't care where...lol I bought Strawberries and cream asiatic lilies and Peachy Keen asiatic lilies from the Lilynook..I must have been hungry that day 8-0. I bought a bag of 3 Crimson Pirate and 3 Night Beacon day lilies from Home Depot. I got a Persian Yellow rose from Wal-Mart and Star gazer, DotCom and yellow tiger lilies from the local box store.I have hauled off glads, dahlias, iris, lilies and day lilies from Art Knaspps and today I hit the local co-op store and bought more iris, a day lily and a lavender paniculata phlox...am I done yet..heck no..hehe..Jean

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

Do you guys have greenhouses? Where are you fitting all your plants? I'm thinking I better not plant anything out until the end of May...our big south-facing sliding doors and dining room table are completely inaccessible because I have easily 60 6" peat pots sitting around full of Glads, Callas etc. Not to mention the new arrivals of plants so cheap I can't bear NOT to get them.

Has anyone grown Swan Lake Rose? I think it is supposed to be zone 4..but I'm having trouble finding it. It is just breathtaking though.

• debbie_z2
    14 years ago

My lily orders came in awhile ago from
    Lily Nook (African Queen & Suncrest) and
    Lindenberg Seeds (Tom Pouce, Golden Stargazer, Netty's Pride & Ceres) OH my, the size of my lilies from Lindenberg were huge!! I only ordered lilies from them to finish out the order, as I got a Golden Unicorn rose (like Laurie's:)..so glad I did!
    I also just picked up a Hardi-Mac Apple tree at our new Garden Center in town...does anyone have this and are you happy with it? (guess it is abit late to ask that now! HA)
    I was torn between that tree or a multi grafted one that had Battleford, Sept Ruby, Honey Crisp and one other apple variety which I can't remember offhand.
    I had ordered 2 Prairie Peace roses last year from Sheila, and one had come with a badly broken root...she replaced that one this spring and wonder if it was worth it, with a $20 shipping cost? Oh well...
    Debbie

14 years ago

Debbie, i'd be interested to hear how your African Queen lily does. I've planted it twice, and it never came back.

• debbie_z2
    14 years ago

Was it just the African Queen or any Trumpets that never came back? I got Black Dragon & Amethyst 3 years ago as a trial and they have done well, so decided to try some more Trumpets. Might be iffy if it does as well for the winter, as they will be planted in not as sheltered area in my yard (snow cover,protection from wind,etc)
    The bulbs were considerably smaller than my first Trumpets..perhaps due to the variety though
    Deb

14 years ago

You know, when i think about it, the trumpets that i've planted have not been the best. Emerald Temple has come back but with very poor blooms. The first year, the bulb for African Queen rotted after a very wet spring. Last summer the next bulb i planted grew but never bloomed. We'll see what happens with it this summer. No problem with snow cover around here!

• sazzyrose
    14 years ago

My sister in-law and I did our yearly greenhouse tour this weekend. It much more fun shopping with someone else.
    I bought lots (But only half as much as her)
    I came home with a couple Josee lilacs ready to bloom.
    A Prairie Fire Golden Dogwood not leafed out yet, but the stems themselves are an amazing bright red.
    A few types of Heuchera-Black Currant, Creme Brule, Key Lime Pie and Licorice all for $4 each. Plus a Midnight Rose which was in a larger pot and more money.
    A couple different clematis-Hagley Hybrid and Multi Blue.
    A few differnt Dianthus Raspberry Swirl and Cheyenne.Plus some annual ones.
    A martagon lily, a pink Gas Plant, some red and purple hens and chicks plus a whole lot more.
    All in all it was a great day. Now we need some heat so I can plant them all out.

Shelley

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lots of summer clearance sales going on now, best time to buy ;)

Picked up a really nice STAINED GLASS hosta at No Frills for ½ price ;)

Anyone go to Wickams in Lloyd, do they have their clearance sale on yet?

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess its not spring anymore, although some of our nights still feel like it.

Summer 2009 Acquisitions ;)

• valleyrimgirl
    14 years ago

Lindenberg's put all their perennials (and peonies and roses) on for $1 each two weeks ago. I got everything from a Buck rose (Prairie Princess) to Bowl of Beauty Peony to siberian irises, veronica, heuchera, lewisia, daylilies, bleeding hearts and hostas, etc etc. When I walked in I went straight to the hostas, picked up the whole box that was on the shelf and bought them. Then went back to see what else was there. Being that I am on an acreage with mature trees, there is lots and lots of room for hostas, so it made no difference to me which ones that were there as there is always a spot here for new plants. They are all doing well. And, at $1 each... :) I did lose a few of the perennials, as they were all bareroot and desperately needed to be planted, but only had a few losses.

I previously had the Bowl of Beauty peony which I got from Walmart years and years ago. It doesn't bloom right and so, maybe now, as Lindenberg's supplier is much much more reliable than the Walmart's was I should actually have Bowl of Beauty in the yard now. It is a very pretty peony...now...hmmmm...where to plant it....

Canadian Tire also had a sale on last week. I found a rose there for $1.00. It was a rose developed in 2003 from Morden... Prairie Celebration.... in a 2 gallon pot. There were a few yellow leaves on the bottom but the two existing shoots were healthy with lots of great looking leaves. It had just finished blooming and so that is why I think they reduced it. It's doing great here! And, I didn't have this Morden rose yet!

Brenda

14 years ago

No deals for me as i've been babysitting this week and can't get into town. Maybe better for the wallet, eh? :>

Reading back, i see i bought some aconitum this spring. Wonder which of my unlabelled pots it's in.... LOL

14 years ago

I have LOTS of irises coming from Ontario at the end of the month so I can't spend anymore on plants this year no matter how good the deal. If, on the other hand, I know of a REALLY good deal, I may just casually mention it to friends for a belated birthday gift!! Anniversary, Labour Day, back-to-school, early Halloween......

Ginny

• valleyrimgirl
    14 years ago

Ginny, which irises are you getting? I am assuming they are from Chuck Chapman?

Brenda

14 years ago

Far too many to name here. About 80 some odd from Chuck and about the same amount from Anne and Bob at Trail's End. This is my iris year. The last couple of years have been peonies and other perennials. Next year I have plans for hostas.
    I have just dug two huge iris beds and a new bed for shrubs and perrenials. I will probably put a few Heuchera and Heucherella with the irises. I also have quite a few Dianthus to transplant. I'll mix it up I'm sure. My aim is an English-cottage garden look. So far my greatest successes have been thistles and other assorted weeds! They're English....Scottish.... aren't they???

Ginny

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994