Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_z2

Peonies

debbie_z2
15 years ago

I know this must sound like a very early request, considering it is about peonies and they are normally sold in the fall.

I usually buy from Parkland, but unfortunately, there are a couple of peonies I really want and he does not have them. So where else has everyone ordered theirs that had excellent roots/service,etc and you would highly recommend?

thanks!

Debbie

Comments (33)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hey neighbor, I ordered for the first time last fall from La Pivoinerie, they sent really nice healthy huge roots, I was very pleased with them!

This is what I ordered last year. I'll probably order a few more again for this fall.

Bev
    Coral Charm
    Missie's Blush
    Show Girl
    P. mollis - gift

Which ones are you looking for?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: La Pivoinerie

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Last fall I ordered from Ferncliff. I was happy with the roots from them too.

It is not too early Debbie, I have mine all picked out already. Although they are not ordered yet.

Shelley

• debbie_z2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good that it isn't too early to ask...I so appreciate all your experience.
    Well due to so many of you posting your lovely peony pics, I have been wanting pink hawaiian coral , coral supreme and believe it is called etched salmon. I'd be happy with even one of these but any that are similar would be fine too.
    I'm going to go snoop now on these websites!
    Debbie

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

Hi Debbie,
    I have 203 peonies in my yard and 200 of them I have planted within the last two years. I have ordered from Ferncliff (A+++++++), Parkland (A++++++++) , La Pavoinerie D'Aoust (A++++++++), Capano (A+++++++), and Peony Garden Ken Claire (A++++++++). Some of the big garden centres ie. Vesey's NO! Not a good idea! All my peonies from the mentioned growers have done very well for me. I will continue to collect more and I echo the other members in saying that it is never too early. I have an ongoing wishlist and check with all these growers in the spring when they have their new catalogs on line. BTW, I have all of the cultivars you are looking for, unfortunately they are not big enough to share yet.
    All were bought through Ferncliff.
    Good luck and I know you will enjoy the most beautiful flowers in the garden:).
    Ginny Garden

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I too was looking at buying some peonies. Has anyone ever purchased from Blossom Hill Nursery in Peterborough? Their prices aren't to bad. They also have a good variety of both peonies and delphiniums. Marg

• debbie_z2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well after going through the sites mentioned above, I can see I am in BIG trouble for picking only a couple!!
    I also have a thing for the singles, and will likely order sunlight or rose diamond from parkland.
    But now my list of "want to have" has extended rediculously! I emailed La Pivoinerie, to see if May Music could possibly be available to buy this year. (it imo, is adorable:)
    Over 200 peonies Ginny?? That must look/smell incredible when in bloom.
    For Sharon - those itoh peonies we got last year from Wickhams...how many years do you think we will have to wait to see a bloom?
    Deb

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

200 peonies!!!! I cann't even get one to grow and believe me I have tried. Give away what's left of a sad little plant and VOILA over nite they turn into beautiful blooming plants.

15 years ago

Beegood - From what I have discovered, peonies just kinda like to be left alone to put on their show. Once you plant them properly, (absolutely not too deep) they just seem to take their time. I've never really fussed over any of them but they are only a couple of seasons old. I have 3 peonies here that belonged to my mom. They are 65 years old and still blooming like crazy. They are kinda like legends now.:)

Deb - I am sure planning on those blooms taking over with their intoxicating fragrance and beauty! For now I have to wait till they get big. I did get a few blooms last spring on some of the newbies. Peonies only get betteer with age both with color and bloom size.

So, maybe I am a bit obsessive but I thought ALL gardeners were a little of that at some time in their careers! Hehe

At least we strive to make the planet a more beautiful place!

Ginny Garden

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

You always covet what you can't get, and although my parents' yard in southern California has orange, peach and persimmon trees, they're looking desperately for peonies.

• celtic_07
    15 years ago

Ginny - Your garden sounds like it will be able to intoxicate the neigbourhood with their smell --Lucky people. How large is/are your flower beds as I know peonies will take up space? Please post pics along the way as your garden grows, so we can all envy you. Your garden will be a showstopper when it matures.I love peonies too and have had to leave them behind at previous homes but always plant more at each new place. Lois

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

For Sharon - those itoh peonies we got last year from Wickhams...how many years do you think we will have to wait to see a bloom?

I would say about 3 yrs. I just hope they've made the winter ;)

Sharon

15 years ago

Lois - I will try to keep somewhat of a photo diary of this yard as I build on it. The story so far is that my husband and I moved in with my dad 4 years ago, back in to the house I grew up in. Very large city lot, 75' x 155'. Aside from the flower beds that have been here since I was a little girl, I have made only two new beds to speak of. Dad wasn't much into flowers but Mom's 3 peonies are still here. Dad has put in a huge vegie garden for the past 65 years or until I took over. We would like to buy the house from Dad and have only started planting perennials. At this point I'm not even sure if we are going to keep the house and redo it (very much in need) or tear it down and build a new one. Nostalgia keeps me yearning to keep the old house! I also don't want to tear out the beautiful old trees as so many others have in this old neighbourhood. Hmmmmmm. So for now, most of the peonies are in the vegie garden until I till up some new beds and move them. Since they take a few years to mature, I thought I would get a head start. There is still plenty of vegie garden left and plenty of lawn to dig up! And oh so many more flowers to plant! I love to look at the pics of everyones beautiful gardens. I hope to be the envy of the neighbourhood but only so all can enjoy the fruits of my labour. There are a couple of others on this block who share my love of gardening but only I have to live up to my name.:)

Sharon - I LOVE looking at your pics and will just have to drive out to Wainwright some daay to view it in person! Beautiful! Keep em coming!

And now for my next impossible feat, I will attempt to take pictures of my gardens instead of my dogs! Well, maybe a dog or two IN the gardens!:)

Ginny Garden

• debbie_z2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does anyone grow both Coral Supreme & Coral Charm? Is there much difference between the two?
    And gosh Sharon...3yrs eh? I'm so not a patient person! LOLS But unless I want to spend $200 on a peony, I will have to be!:)
    Of the two Itoh's I purchased last year...one is under 4ft of snow,the other possibly still under 8" of snow. Will cross my fingers they both make it!
    Debbie

• del_s
    15 years ago

We also have two Itoh peonies, Cora Louise, purchased 2 years ago, and Bartzella, purchased last summer. Cora Louise came up just fine last spring, but still only produced a small plant. Looking forward to seeing what it does this year, although from the above comments, it'll be a year or two before we see blooms.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

A purdy one here :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Oh wow that is pretty Terry, what's the name?

Debbie I just planted CC last fall, but here is a photo of CS.

Coral Supreme

I also have Pink Hawaiian Coral that hasn't bloom yet.

Sharon

15 years ago

Hi Deb - This peony thread is getting a lot of attention! I love it! I have Coral Charm, Ecthed Salmon, Coral Supreme, Pink Hawiian Coral, Coral Sunset, Coral Fay and Coral n Gold. But.....I don't have any pics of any of them! Sooo.....I just wanted to tell you, you have good taste! You too, Sharon! I planted Missies Blush and Showgirl last fall. Another one I really like is Chestine Gowdy, available at Parkland.

Terry - That beautiful peony looks a lot like my Bouquet Perfect???

Ginny

• debbie_z2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was that Coral Supreme pic Sharon from last year, that made it go on my "wish list":) Lyndsay from La Pivoinerie says her catalog should be in up in a couple of weeks and although grows the ones I am looking for, they won't be offered this year, but she suggested Coral Charm instead.
    Pivoines Capano has Pink Hawaiian Coral listed and Ginny mentioned them above as good service/roots, so will order that from there.
    I ordered Chestine Gowdy & White Cap last year from Parkland and hope to see a bloom or two this year.
    Terry - too cute with the tuft of petals at the top of that peony, gives it character!

Yet another question... some of the peonies I have received from Parkland, have come with up to 12 eyes...would you consider dividing them in this case or would there be enough root to sustain yet another division?

Deb

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Ginny, 203 peonies...wow! That would take up a lot of room! I just did a little math. If you were to give each peony a minimum 2.5' circle then you would need 1268 square feet which would be about an area approximately 35.5' by 35.5' that would only have peonies. Of course, you would spread them out all around your yard. That would be fun to do, to see them bloom and then arrange them in such a way around the yard that each would compliment its neighbor. Yes, the fragrance coming from your yard would be absolutely wonderful! Did you get any ITOH peonies in your collection?

Two summers ago, Laurie and I placed an order with Fraser Thimble Farms for 2 ITOH peonies... Cora Louise and Julia Rose. Both made it thru our 2007/2008 zone 2b winter and multiplied well although neither of them bloomed last summer. This summer we should see a bloom or two. We can hardly wait.

The ITOHs I purchased last summer from a nursery in Winnipeg (they have not bloomed yet) were...
    Bartzella
    Copper Kettle
    Going Bananas
    Hillary
    Morning Lilac
    Singing in the Rain

I have just over 40 different peonies in my yard now, most of them being purchases I have made in the past 3 years. I am looking forward to seeing some specific ones bloom for their first time hopefully this summer...Buckeye Belle, Coral 'n Gold (a piece from Laurie's Coral 'n Gold..Thanks, Laurie), Kukenu Jishia, Pink Hawaiian Coral and all the ITOHs.

Peonies that Lindenberg's will carry this summer that I would like to pick up in June when they are available in the store are these ten ...
    Duchesse De Nemours
    Edulis Superba
    Sorbet
    Barrington Belle
    Doreen
    Leto
    Starlight
    Paula Fay
    Neon
    Coral Sunset

Of course, if the nursery in Winnipeg happens to have any other ITOH's that I don't already have then I will have no choice but to put down another $50 each and get them too. :)

Here is a link to the peonies in my yard that have bloomed already...

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/valleyrimgirl/peonies/

Brenda

15 years ago

Brenda- I do have most of them in the old vegie garden but about 20 of them at various locations around the yard. As I have said before, this is a fairly big yard and they all have at least 2.5 square feet. My idea was exactly that, to grow out the blooms and arrange them to please the onlooker!
    I only have one "tree" peony and no Itch as yet. I hope to remedy that "illness" this fall! Still working on a landscaping plan since this MUST be done soon!

This is the north east corner of my vegie garden. It is about 1500 square feet in total. I have since added a few more feet of bed at the back fence where there are about 8 peonies planted.

Deb - Mano Capano has her catalogue for 2009 up on the site. I have already ordered my babies for the fall. Yeah, I still want more peonies! Not greedy......just not full yet! Mano's roots are not as big as Parkland but they are healthy. Bob, out at Parkland is a real card. He asked me if my roots were enough and I told him, more than enough. He said he will have to be careful not to give me such big ones next year!The more eyes you got on a root, the better your baby will establish.

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Nice garden planting area you have there Ginny :)

The peony photo I have posted above is Nice Gal.

Terry

15 years ago

I planted that one last fall, Terry. Pretty much that whole garden is in flowers now. I'll dig some more garden this spring.There's plenty of lawn around here just taking up turf!
    Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Ginny, I hope you'll post photos of the area this summer, that's if spring ever arrives :)

Terry

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

I just got a Lindenburg Seed Spring catalogue today. I was surprised to see the Double Fernleaf peony in it for Spring, as I also thought they only ship those in the Fall.
    It it $32.95 I think. Does anyone have any experience with this company, and if it would be safe to order for Spring? I hate to pay that price, but I reeeeeally want one of those. I had bought one from someone here a couple years ago, but it didn't survive for more than 2 weeks after planting. It was probably June or July when it was shipped, so I am timid about ordering another in the Spring. Any advise is appreciated.

Love the pics of your dogs Ginny and Terry.

Joan

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Joan, many mail-order nurseries and boxstores such as Walmart will sell Peonies in the spring, only because they are not field-grown, it will probably be shipped in a plastic container. I've never ordered Peonies from Lindenburg, but have ordered other perennials from them. They are not huge by all means, but the price is excellent.

You're best to order from Parkland Perennials for a Double Fernleaf Peony in the fall, more $, but you'll get a huge root that will bloom in 1-2 yrs.

Sharon

15 years ago

Joan - Take it from the peony lady and Sharon; you will be much better off to spend the extra and buy from Bob at Parkland. Much better quality. I have LOTS of peonies from Parkland and any that I have ordered from mail order nurseries have rarely survived. I learned that lesson real fast. Parkland will not ship peonies till fall but my fernleaf came up beautifully the first spring 2008 from Parkland. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the doggy comments.

Ginny

• debbie_z2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was doing some cleanup in the beds the other day and was thrilled to see my one Itoh already showing it's buds and obviously made the winter...BUT...my other Itoh was severely broken off late in the winter when my litter of pups had a good time burning off steam on some of our "nicer" days late February/early March. The stem is broke off and I can see that the crown is cracked:(
    Is there any hope for this to recover?
    I also put in my peony order with La Pivoinerie - she offered to dig up a Coral Supreme this fall, which was very nice of her and I also ordered May Music and Lancaster Imp.
    Debbie

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

I'm sure they will recover by producting new eyes.

I see sproutes on one Itoh so far too.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I bit the bullet and have ordered some from Pivoines Capano.

I ordered
    Circus Circus
    Etched Salmon
    Raspberry Charm
    Robert W Auten
    Salmon Dream

Oh gosh....now I have to wait a whole year for these to bloom.

Shelley

• debbie_z2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now how did you get Etched Salmon??! LOLS
    your list is great! make sure you share pics when they bloom.
    Debbie

• sazzyrose
    14 years ago

If you want Etched Salmon, send her an email. She has a few divisions left.
    I sort of am obsessed with plants. I keep a running list of who grows what that I like, even if they are sold out. It doesn't hurt to ask in the following years even if they are not in the catalouge.

Shelley

• fm03_txstate_edu
    14 years ago

I have always wanted a peony - always, but because of the heat here in central TX zone 8b, I thought it would be impossible. I decided to bite the bullet and I purchased Paeonia lactiflora "Sorbet". I followed the planting instructions to the "T" and low and behold in 3 days time I had a 6 inch sprout already.............my husband stepped on it and broke it off. Uh-huh! I'm NOT kidding. Will it regrow? When I planted it, there were about three eyes, close together on it. Help???? Oh, guess what?? He saved the broken part and put it in water. He was very contrite, so I wasn't TOO hard on him.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

Two words, Fran - tomato cages! I use them a lot so a certain someone won't step on/mow over some little thing. If the peony had three eyes, the other two might come back, but i couldn't say for sure. Good luck!