Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Any Unposted Pictures before Spring?

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

I guess since we've had such a mild winter, nobody really needed the bubble this year.

It certainly would be nice to see any pictures we haven't seen before though, just to get us through this last stretch of winter.

Anyone?

Comments (35)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I have no idea what I posted last year. I'll share a couple of my roses, since I was planning on ordering some new ones but then noticed Pickerings has jacked their rose prices up to $15 each and their shipping up to $25. They can keep them...

This came with the house. I think it's Kordes' "Blue Girl".

This is "Rio Samba". These blooms are all the same rose bush, on the same stem, uncut in the garden. Such a cool rose. You can really see it from the street. My mom thinks it's garish.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, the Blue Girl is beautiful !

Interesting that your Mom thinks the Rio Samba is garish. I rather like it. After seeing how Konrad grafts different fruits, I've been tempted to try my hand at grafting and see if I can get 2-3 different colored roses on one shrub. I don't know if it's possible to do, but............

• northspruce
    12 years ago

You could do it NAF. Lots of rose growers have offered standard roses (trained up with a trunk like a tree) with two or three varieties on the top. The problem is the grafts aren't winter hardy in our zone so they would die the first winter and you'd be left with root stock.

Rio Samba looks like 3 different roses but it's one of those photoreactive roses that opens pure yellow and the sun turns the petals coral and red, then they fade to magenta.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Am hoping for another great spring display

{{gwi:737660}}

The wisteria "should" give plenty of blooms ... LOVE this plant!

After several years of observing this rose, I intend to send it off for further testing. I know I might appear to be slow with moving forward with any of my roses, though there's been lots to deal with in life.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

What a great rose Terry! Is it cane hardy for you? What a great form and colour...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Northspruce, the rose has always come through winter with a good amount of live wood and develops into a vigorous bush with plenty of basal breaks.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

More pictures please, Terry. I am starving for flowers! It has been a long, dreary winter around here......:(

Love that rose! Have you named her?

Ginny

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the daffodils, too.

I've lived near daffodil fields. I'm pretty sure my friend used to have tons of wysteria also.

Oh how I miss that climate!

Quick! More pictures. I just saw the forecast =:(

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Okay, here's several more for you Ginny. As for the rose, I do have a few names in mind :)

Clematis 'Prince Charles', I really dislike the name given to this excellent performing clematis, I just keep imagining those big ears of his, lol.

Dianthus 'Dynasty Rose Lace' ... just grow it, you'll love this biennial.

{{gwi:4334}}

{{gwi:1192}}

'Rosalyne' strawberry doing some sporting. This everblooming variety has EXCELLENT tasting fruit!

{{gwi:227047}}

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Nutsaboutflowers, I posted before seeing your comments, so I'll add this daffodil just for you, I can't get enough of this unusual one, just don't ask me the name, lol.

Terrance

12 years ago

Terry, I had that daffodil and I can't remember the name either! The first name that came to mind was Split Personality?? But I'm not sure that is it now?? LMAO about your Prince Charles look alike! Still haven't caught the Clematis bug but it is lurking......

I adore that dianthus! One of my favorite flowers and I have some every year. No seeds last season tho :(. Did you start those from seed?

I am just itching to start gardening again but I honestly don't know what to start or where to start. This old yard needs a complete makeover! The dirt is older than the dirt! So you can see why I have had such a dreary winter and I so appreciate your pics.

Northspruce, I think Rio Samba is beautiful and Blue Girl as always, breathtaking! I had her growing in my back garden but I don't know if she is still there since much of that corner has become overgrown and damaged from construction next door. I'll find out in the spring. Won't be long now. :)I could sure use a new camera........

Ginny

Live Music and Proud Tradition spring 2011 TB iris

• rosecavalier
    12 years ago

Northspruce, Terrance and Ginny - great photos.

Just had to include this photo of Sissinghurst Castle, England. Late May...pungent smell of this number of azaleas was one I'll never forget...and it prompted me to grow the North American azalea species R. calendulaceum..vibrant flame orange....supposedly hardy to -33C..but I grow it in a pot and winter it in the garage. Its fragrance is intense and the shrub has been absolutely reliable.

Terrance, there is even some white wisteria in the photo...congratulations on growing one in this climate...how do you think they would grow in a large pot?

I was charmed by the purple perennials growing out of the brick wall in the photo.

12 years ago

Oh.....Wow!!!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Rosecavalier, what a dream to live in a mild climate and in such surroundings! I've always had azalea and rhododendron envy and at one time had grown many rhodos in pots until they became too large to manage. As for the wisteria, definitely you can grow it within a container, though it's gonna require plenty of feeding.

Ginny, I had received that particular daffodil a few years ago from GardenImport, I'll have to do some searching to come up with the name. Very nice irises btw :)

Clematis, couldn't be without them! Here's just a few of my favorites here.

{{gwi:573902}}

{{gwi:579430}}

{{gwi:574227}}

12 years ago

Are you trying to enable me, Terry? Lol! And you have to start with a pink one! One Clematis I want to grow is called Duchess of Edinburgh. If I can find her?

The daffodil I had was called Full House and I think I got it from Breck's a few years ago. Don't know if it is the same as the one you pictured but very similar.

I just wanted to go out in the yard and start digging in the snow today to find my peony tags. Visions of peonies dancing in my head this time of year. Parkland has updated 2012 catalogue and oh my, there are some must haves! Must put in my order!

Ginny

• don555
    12 years ago

Hee, hee, hee.... ;-)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don! That's nasty !! =:D

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

OMG - all too soon! I'm hoping we don't have a bad bug year. Sometimes it's all i can do to race from the front door to the car! Then i have to drive up the road with all the windows open to try and get rid of the mosquitoes that have gotten in. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesh - i am not looking forward to that!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Ginny, unfortunately 'Duchess of Edinburgh' isn't really the best of choices due to flowering mostly upon old wood, wood that is often froze back in our climate. Clematis 'Kiri Te Kanawa' and a few other newer introductions produce generous amounts of double blooms upon NEW wood. As for the daffodil, I think you're correct about it being 'Full House'.

'Kiri Te Kanawa'

{{gwi:628745}}

Thanks for the reminder Don, last year was a lousy mosquito season in the Edmonton region, ugh!

• don555
    12 years ago

Those are some amazing clematis, I had no idea you could grow ones like that around here. I just have a couple young Jackmanii and some of those hardy yellow flowered ones... Golden Bells?

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Such beauty ... well except for those darn mosquitoes.

If I ever find a Blue Moon Wisteria in my travels, I'm going to buy one - that's just too pretty not to.

• savona
    12 years ago

Lovely pictures everyone..well except for the mosquito one...lol. Especially on this snowy wet sloppy weather day.
    Jean

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Don, yes, a vast number of large flowered clematis are capable of thriving in the Edmonton region, though to best ensure winter survival, planting next to the foundation is recommended and so is selecting type 3 varieties that produce their crop of blooms upon the new wood, such as 'Jackmanii'. I do have some out in the yard, though sometimes these can be lost even despite being given winter protection. It sounds as if you have one of the very hardy yellow orientalis varieties.

Pudge, 'Blue Moon' wisteria is worth a try in a hot sheltered location such as southern exposure against one's home. I recommend that for as many years as possible, in late autumn the flexible vines be laid down to the ground and covered with a bit of peat moss, though I well understand if some might not wish to be pampering something.

12 years ago

You burst my bubble Terry! Lol! I love white flowers......especially vining ones.......but I sure don't need another collection! I shall have to live vicariously through yours. :) I'll be out to visit before the mosquitos!

Ginny

Summer Fiesta

Lullaby Of Spring

Goodbye Girl

Supreme Sultan

Paint It Black

Sultry Mood

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Nice showing guy's!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Great iris photos Ginny! I yet haven't gotten back into irises after moving from the farm where I had previously grown many.

Spring has sprung, at 11:00 am it's already a balmy +13 C up in the hills near Spruce Grove :)

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I am yet down in Florida for the winter, but thinking more and m
    I bought myself a digital camera but is kind of complicated My grandson 16 is visiting and he is helping me to learn to use the camera

I have some neat stuff in the gardens here to show you. But that isn't fair, right?

Roses in bloom, jasmine, four oclocks, gingers, Bromeliads, oh some nice stuff Need to get out in the yard and try some pictures
    I hear from family and neigbhours things are already popping up in our gardens. Hope in Barrie that we do not lose to many plants form lack of winter snow cover.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

diane_v_44 ...

"I have some neat stuff in the gardens here to show you. But that isn't fair, right?" ... of course, please do post your photos for those of us who are so color starved at this time of the year.

Terrance

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yes, winter kill is just around the corner, more so with the lack of snow,....same here, even with a mild winter, it only takes one night of very cold, beyond minus 30C, and yes, we sure had these temperatures.

Don...nice of you to remind us of these critters!...Darn! LOL

Cedar Waxwing in one of my crab apple grown from seed.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Love your photos Konrad! We didn't get to -30 this winter. The coldest we got was -26, and we had a bit of snow all winter although it melted frequently.

Are you feeding that oriole jam? ;0)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Yes, very nice photos as always Konrad. A few times I've spotted an oriole in the woods surrounding my home, I wish I'd see these birds more frequently.

Northspruce, Manitoba did have a very mild winter that's for sure! Only a few cold snaps here, though just one night of about -28 C at my location, so definitely not complaining about that.

Forecast for this region isn't looking so great for the coming week, that especially in comparison to the very balmy conditions expected in many regions of Canada.

Well, back to more seed starting today ...

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Great pics everyone. Terry, hope you'll be putting all us gardenning buddies on the list for one or more of your beautiful roses when available.

Here's one of my rose seeds that germinated early this Feb and is giving me a flower already. Hope it matures into a double. The 2nd pic is with a quarter and the 3rd is with a dime for size comparison. Amazed that it flowered so young.

Joan

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Cute little roses, Joan!

>>Are you feeding that oriole jam? ;0)Yes, they love grape jelly.

Another one

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Joan, you beat me to posting rose seedling photos, lol ... I have a few that are budding up and anxious to see them open. Nice color of your seedling and yes, it's amazing they can flower at such a young age.

Send some orioles my way Konrad!

T

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't read through this thread again...........

I just had to look at the pictures to help keep my sanity until spring :)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm