Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New home for Virgina Creeper ?transplant?

Posted by jdawgger 2 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 21:43

I am trying to cover a chain link fence in my yard with Virginia Creeper. I am getting my Virginia Creeper from an established vine in another yard. I need to remove the entire vine, roots and surrounding dirt. (as the owner is getting rid of the vine) What is the best way to get the vine established in my yard? Will I be able to propagate it to cover my entire fence line?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New home for Virgina Creeper ?transplant?

Hi, there jdawg... we are doing the exact same thing this year except we are using virginia creeper as a stand alone fence. My experience with this beautiful plant has been as follows: it will grow almost anywhere, can be invasive if not kept in check, there are multiple ways to propagate it, and once you get it started it will grow like a weed. The following are ways to propagate it:

From softwood cuttings
From semi-hardwood cuttings
From hardwood cuttings
From seed; direct sow outdoors in fall
From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

We have a VC vine that covered the entire south wall of our home. Last year it was attacked profusely by aphids. I tried to treat it, it wasn't dying though, the leaves just looked like crap, so I tore it down after awhile and just left all the vines piled up next to the house. When it warms up and I have the areas dug up a bit where they are to be planted and the vines start to show new growth most likely what I will do is dig up all the vines down to the roots, pull them all out and line them up. It also created some new off-shoots outside its planting area, I will dig these up as well. Once I've done this, I'm going to count how many total vines I have, divide the number between the total fence area we are making and then start cutting them up. I'll plant the shorter rooted vines and off-shoots first. The longer ones I will cut up, maybe use some liquid or powdered rooting hormone (I read somewhere yesterday you can just cut them up and put them in water and they'll root), and put them in the bare spots between the rooted vines and leave them alone for awhile giving them some nice TLC for a bit till they get going. We are creating a fence using VC that will be around 130 ft long (side of our yard) by 60 ft wide 9front of our yard), that is in between spruce trees.

Good luck, I hope this answers your questions and let me know how it goes...

Happy Gardening!

Kristie

o

Whenever I started my Virginia Creepers, I just took cuttings off the mother plant, dug trenches, laid them in the dirt sideways and then covered the stems up leaving some of the leaves stick out of the dirt. They really didn't do too much that first year.

Shelley

o

I have several virginia creepers that came with my house. This is probably one of the easiest plants to propagate, but I am not so sure it would be easy to move an already established vine. It could be difficult to dig up enough root mass to support all of the upper growth. If you really want to move an established vine, I would severely cut it back first and them move it. Water it regularly and you should see it put on decent growth the first year.

As for starting a creeper, I think the easiest no fuss no muss method is to propagate it place. I did this last summer. All I did was pull down one of the vines of the plant growing over my deck and laid it on soil in a flower bed that the vine grows in. Then, at one point along this vine I put half a shovel of dirt over the vine, pressed the soil down a bit and waited a month or so. Then I cut the vine (on side it was joined to the mother plant)just before the buried section, and scooped up the buried section of the vine which had now rooted. There was a nice ball of roots that was enough to support the two long (4-5 ft?) lengths of the vine that extended beyond the buried section. I replanted the vine in its new home and with normal watering the vine didn't suffer at all and actually grew another 6 feet and branched a bit more. Its by no means the monster its 'mother' was, but given how vigorous this plant is, I expect to have a hedge of creeper on this chain link fence just like at my deck in a few years.

o

Well thank you very much! I think I will try and transplant the vines by moving as much dirt as I can and partially cutting it back and then once it is established propagate from the transplanted vine. Thank you all for your help.

o

Take the entire vine off the top. Root 12" long cuttings in any of several ways. Dig up the root mass as best you
can. Plant chunks. Don't know if it will work, but most vines seem to come back pretty well from being hacked back
to nothing.

Note: Birds like the berries. You will get VC coming up in odd places.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here