Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Grape Updates...

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 22:20

What are you growing besides Valiant?
I ordered some cuttings from Bert, [link] SABREVOIS & TROUBADOR..
will see if they root for me,..if someone has these or other hardy grapes rooted I might like to buy some,...not sure if these cuttings will take.
CLICHE I wanted to get but Bert didn't have any, someone is growing this one in the Edmonton area, had a nice crop last fall and is looking very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: BERT DUNN'S COLD-HARDY VINES

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Grape Updates...

I planted 2 Prairie Star last year. Hopefully they really *are* hardy to -40...

o

Although rated to zone 4, I'm trying the so called early ripening seedless varieties Somerset and Trollhaugen, these I'll lay down to the ground for winter.

Terrance

o

Thanks for your input!... Let us know how it goes, a source from where
you bought them would help also. Yes, selecting a early grape is important for our climate. The tender one's, like zone 4 might benefit
a graft to hardy rootstock, perhaps Valiant.

o

Konrad, I had gotten Somerset and Trollhaugen from Dominion, I don't mind laying them down for winter and covering with a bit of peat moss and additional snow. Yes, grafting onto a hardier rootstock might be a good idea also.

A variety by the name of 'Toldi' looks rather promising, here's a description:

"A seedling grown out from a selection of Latvian breeder, Andrash Fazekash. Described as a "Concord for the tundra". This is a beautiful blue grape with the flavor of Concord. It ripens about 6 weeks earlier than Concord and is hardier. Great flavor for juice or jelly. Opens up the possibility of growing a Concord-type grape in very cool and short season areas."

I guess there's good things coming from breeding work done in Saskatchewan ... it appears that very hardy and good quality grapes are on the way ... hurry up :)

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 2:16

I just picked up a couple Somerset vines at the local Walmart.
Bruce

o

Konrad, your friend that lives west of Spruce Grove had mentioned of someone near Devon having a very good large fruited hardy grape vine growing upon the south side of his home ... it would be good if this variety could be further looked into.

o

Good to know...I should phone him up.
How did Somerset and Trollhaugen do for you last year?

Got some rooted last year, [first post] SABREVOIS & TROUBADOR..will see what's left in the ground with our little snow cover this winter.

I ordered and still waiting for another two cuttings from Bert, Marquette and Prairie Star.

o

I had kept the Somerset and Trollhaugen potted up, these will be planted out this spring and maybe I'll get a few clusters of fruit late this summer.

o

Good,...can't wait to see some!

Mamahoohoo
Please let us know how your Prairie Star is coming along,...I'll be a couple of years behind you with my cuttings,.....if they take?

o

Terry, mama, esox...any survivors?

o

I was at my daughter's yesterday and both her Valiants are alive and well, both beginning to bud out.

Is there anything special to be done for them, any kind of fertilizer that we should use?

o

I give mine a bit old manure to get them established. They get a extensive root system and most often they're good without any fertilizer. Back in the old country we had a grape trailing the whole side of the house without TLC.

o

THanks, Konrad!

o

This year I planted Prairie Star and Frontenac vines. This is my first experience with grapes. It is going to take a while before I can see what they will do. I had a choice between Frontenac and Marquette and choose Frontenac for juice. Hope it works out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here