Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Hardy cherries

sazzyrose
18 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has grown or tasted the newer U of S cherries called the Romance series. I was also looking at Sk Carmine Jewel and Evans. Abgardeneer said that Evans was better tasting than Camine jewel, but it grows a little taller than I would like. I did purchase several Nanking cherries last year,but would like some that produced bigger cherries.

Comments (28)

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Well, 'Evan's' doesn't really differ in size greatly from Nanking. We have mature specimens of both - Nanking gets to about 6' and 'Evan's' is about the same. (I am tall but I don't have to reach up over my head, or use any sort of a stool or ladder to pick the fruit.) Nanking is a round, multi-stemmed bush, while 'Evan's' is a low-headed, short-trunked tree, and not a tall one. Not familiar with the 'Romance' series...

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

I planted two of the U of S cherries last year. I'm really excited about them and hopefully this weird winter we've had this year will not do them any harm.

The Romance series was only released for individual purchase last summer. Until then, you had to purchase the collection of 5. I had neither the room nor the desire for all five. I chose 'Big Momma', now known as 'Crimson Passion' and 'Big Late', now known as 'Cupid'. Both of these are supposed to get rather large - about the size of a Bing cherry, according to the information that I have read. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful but I'm still at the "keeping my fingers and toes crossed" stage.

Here's a website that may help and they are also very informative, if you call them directly.

Shauna

Here is a link that might be useful: DNA Gardens

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

After my experience with Evans, I'd have a hard time recommending it. I have 2 trees about 7 years old and plan to remove both this year. I have had to cut them back to almost the trunk two or three springs since planting them because all the branch growth dies. I have never seen fruit off them, and they sucker waayy too much for my liking. I'm not entirely convinced this one is hardy enough, at least not in my area.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pudge, what kind of soil do you have your trees planted in? I've read cherry trees don't like rich soil. This is so they really don't grow much late in the year and their stems harden off instead of growing. Years ago I purchased an adjoining lot to my yard. The previous owners house had caught on fire. They closed in the basement,and stirred up the soil, so their is a fair bit of clay where I am planning on putting these trees.
    Abgardeneer, it's good to know that Evans doesn't get to be 12 ft tall. I want to put these trees on the south side of my garden, so I don't want anything really tall.
    Luv2gro, I didn't realize that the new romance series was available to be bought seperately last year already. Please let me know if your cherry trees made the winter.
    My sister in-law purchased 2 sets of the 5 plants several years ago. They were only colour tagged at that time with no names. In each set, the same colour tagged tree died. So I don't know the name of the tree that died. She doesn't have a green thumb so I don't strictly rely on what she gives me for advise. They haven't produced fruit for her either yet.

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Mine are planted in regular garden soil, never amended. We've discussed Evans here in the past, and someone also said they like a real dry fall. That can be a crapshoot around here, especially the last few years.

• tabardca
    18 years ago

I planted the group of five last year, colour tagged. sazzyrose, which colour tag bit the dust? I will have a look at mine this spring and see what made it and what didn't.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll have to check with my sister in-law about the trees. I'll let you know when I talk to her. She lives close to Saskatoon on large hill and their trees are first starting to give them a bit of a windbreak now, so that might have been part of the problem.

• prairierose
    18 years ago

I just ordered the set of 5 Romance cherries from DNA gardens on Friday, so I hope they do well. I've had an Evans cherry for several years, in a sheltered spot. Winter kill hasn't been a problem, but the crop varies by weather, just like the apples and saskatoons. My family likes to eat them canned, and they are really tasty.

Connie

• number_15
    18 years ago

I have planted all 5 varieties last summer and it looks like all 5 have made it through the winter.

University of Saskatchewan Cherries
    In 2003, as part of a variety trial, five experimental cultivars were released to growers. They are identified with numbers due to their experimental nature. These selections differ in colour (from black to bright red), in maturity date (early or late), in use (fresh versus processing), and fruit size (medium to large). The experimental cultivars all exhibited good cold hardiness with reliable productivity in Saskatoon. (Zone 2b) Except for SK7-32-19.1, all cultivars bloom at a similar time although the date varies from year to year-from late May to early June.

Cupid (SK7-7-5.8) Fruit is similar in appearance to Carmine Jewel but much later ripening and sweeter fruit, the cherries are dark red to black and good for fresh eating, processing and juice. Average weight is 4 gm which matures late August to early September. Grows to a height of 6.5 ft. with low suckering.
    Romeo (SK7-19-27.6) Fruit is medium-red and tart. Average fruit weighs 4.5 gm. It is one of the most productive cultivars and matures early August to mid-August. Grows to 8 ft. with some suckering, more than the other varieties. The fruit is best suited for processing as it is too tart for most people when fresh, however it pits easily with machanical pitting equipment which makes it quite suitable for pies.
    Passion (SK7-21-16.3) Fruit is dark red and excellent when fresh. The flesh is more firm than the other varieties and the average weight is 6 gm. Matures in mid-August. The bush will grow to 5.5 ft. and has the lowest suckering habit of the 5 varieties. It has the sweetest fruit and is easily processed.
    Valentine (SK7-21-31.0) Fruit is dark red and excellent when fresh. The average weight is 5 gm and matures early August to mid-August. The bush will grow to 6.5 ft. and has low suckering habits. It is also easily processed fruit and very comparible in sweetness with SK7-21-16.3
    Juliet (SK7-32-19.1) Fruit is red to black with an average weight of 6.5 gm. Matures late August to early September with a more concentrated flavor. It blooms approximately one week later than the others and is a little more difficult to process with mechanical pitters. It will grow to a height of 6.5 ft with very good fruit when picked fresh.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Are the Romance series grown on their own roots or grafted? And from what I'm gathering here, nobody has had any fruit off them yet(?)... I'd be interested in getting one but only once I know exactly what the fruit is like. I don't have room for more than 4 or 5 trees in my yard, ever. I actually find Nanking cherries quite sweet but they are small and don't taste like cherries to me at all. More like a berry of some sort. I make jelly with them.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

I'll be a few years yet before I get fruit from mine, I'm sure. They are just babies. But, my babies have survived their first winter, judging from the amount of buds that I saw on them today. That's good news.

Shauna

• tabardca
    18 years ago

They are on their own roots, I think there are issues with grafting cherries. The U of S released them in 2003, so I don't imagine there are many bearing fruit just yet.

These are dwarf sour cherries.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tabardca, the cherries that bit the dust of my sister-inlaws were the ones with the green tag. The suppliers told them that it was a common problem.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today I phoned my local tree supplier and she is selling all of the U of S cherries as singles this year for $6.95 each. She told me that they are roughly a foot tall. Best of all she warranties most of all her trees and shrubs for a full year. Can't beat that deal. This will be the 5th year I've bought from her. I will be off to see her Friday.

• prairiechick
    17 years ago

Sassy - who is your tree seller, or do they ship? I think I might like to try some. I'm in MB.

Many thanks!

• tabardca
    17 years ago

Thanks for the report sazzyrose. Shockingly, my green tag is doing quite well even though the rabbits have chewed off the top, they have damaged two U of S cherries and practically ever other small tree I have growing, grrrr. All five trees made it through their first winter.

My SK Carmine Jewel is doing well but the Evans has died back right to the ground and is only showing a few low leaves. All of these trees are micro.

$6.95 each is really good, and a foot high!? I would love to know who your supplier is as well!

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

I would like to know, too. If they ship, everyone will be wanting some. I paid $15 each, I think, for my two last year at Hole's. However, I am happy to report that they are both doing very well and looking very full of leaves. They should put on some good growth this season.

Shauna

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm going to go to this tree farm on Friday morning. I'll ask Laurie if she ships. I have always been happy with her service. I have spent enough money at her farm, that she has even warrantied some perennials that haven't made the winter. I'll post again on Friday afternoon.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was to Zosels Tree Farm today. I picked up 4 Passion and 2 Juliette. She was out of the Valentine, but will be getting more of all 5 in. They are last years stock and are 12" to 18" tall. Laurie also sold me 2 24" Carmine Jewel regularly priced for $24 each for $8 a piece. I bought 7 more rose bushes, but she charged me for 6. She also charged me half price for my perenials. I told you she is easy to deal with.
    Zosels does ship, but they don't have a website. Am I allowed to post her phone number and address? If not how can I get in contact with who's interested?
    Shelley

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Yes you can certainly link to her website, we do it all the time.

Sounds like some good deals you got there!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Oops I read that wrong. Duh! I think you could post the phone # and address, since people are asking and you're not trying to promote your own business. I really don't think anyone would mind.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Zosel Tree Farm
    Box 179
    Pleasantdale Sk.
    SOK-3HO
    306-874-5729
    Laurie Zosel is the owner. She does have catalouges.

• prairiechick
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Sassy! I'll look into that right away.

• sharons2
    15 years ago

This thread has some nice info on the hardy cherries, too.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Have you tasted any of the new UOS cherries and compared them against Evans?
    Anything good?

Konrad

• prairierose
    15 years ago

Konrad, I'm hoping one of mine will have cherries this year. It had a few blooms last spring, but the two little cherries that formed fell off. Maybe it will be mature enough to produce a few to taste this coming summer.

Connie

• plum-er
    15 years ago

hi conrad i bought the passion and the cupid and i got one cherry off the passion the same year [hope they do good this year]and i'd say it's better than the evan's but i'm located in the north west of alberta[zone 2] so it might be my area ,but to all the evan's cherry grower's not getting good results it's mainly that they have to be dry by the end of august so if you get late rains it will very easly winter kill your trees so plant them on a slope or a bit of a hill,best of luck.

• cookie8
    15 years ago

I am hoping to pick up some Nanking and Evans cherries this year. Does anyone know if they are deer resistant? I would like to plant one in the front yard but won't if the deer like them. TIA.