Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Favorite dianthus ?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
15 years ago

Dynasty Rose Lace, had taken last summers heat and dry in stride and just kept showin off.Other favorites are Super Strawberry Parfait, Siberian Blues and Ipswich Pinks. Years back, Stan Zubrowski had send me seed collected from the old Kananaskis prison grounds, these were awesome for their scent and of course being very hardy, too bad I had not gathered seed when I left the old place :(

Dynasty Rose Lace

{{gwi:4334}}

Terry

Comments (32)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Terry, those are real pretty, they look like lit' dancing can can girls.

I have so many dianthus in my garden, but I would have to say my favourite is Dianthus barbatus ÂSootyÂ. It self seeds like crazy.

but then I also like

Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Firewitch' Perennial of the Year 2006.

Oh can't forget

DIANTHUS knappii - not a good photo, but in person the little yellow flowers are so pretty.

Sharon

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, we can always count on you for great photos! I think I've got seeds of 'Sooty' here somewhere ... and yes, I've also grown dianthus knappii and it's a subtle beauty, I must again plant some ...

Terry

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

Oh, that Dynasty Rose Lace is lovely. I almost bought those seeds last year but changed my mind at the last minute...now I'm wishing I hadn't!

Sharon, as always, your weed free rock garden just blows me away, LOL.

I did start Corona Cherry Magic last year. A friend of mine has had her plant winter several seasons so I'm hoping mine will do the same.

Another I really like is Bouquet Purple. This is one of those first year blooming sweet william type hybrids - taller so I can use them in bouquets and just a screaming hot pink colour. Anyway, I have quite a few plants and all have wintered several seasons.

A few years ago I started Confetti Deep Red, a low spreading perennial Dianthus. It's really lovely in bloom ...

but it does like to steal the show...

I don't think I've yet met a Dianthus I didn't like. A few years ago I started many different perennial types from seed as well as some 'rock garden mix' unnamed ones. The result is always something blooming somewhere.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Excuse me Mam' Pudge, I don't see a weed in your rock garden either ;) Just love how you mass plant.

Oh yes, can't forget Confetti Deep Red too, from the seeds that you sent me a few years ago. It really jumps out at you!

Sharon

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great photos Pudge! ... that Bouquet Purple is right up my alley and so is Confetti Deep Red :)

Pudge, I had picked up Dynasty Rose Lace through Lindenburg, Stokes also offers them, though only in large quantity and a high price. This is looking like a variety that'll be welcome in my garden for many years to come!

BTW, in general, one sure can't beat Lindenburg for their prices! Heck, I got 20 packs of seeds for under 40 bucks and no postage either, every year they get the bulk of my business when it comes to seed.

Terry

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I have a nice dark red in my garden, King of Blacks. I also have Firewitch but I don't have a picture of that one. Last spring I did buy one called Golddust. I hope it flowers this year. The flowers are supposed to be red with gold flecks. Terry, I really like the Dynasty Rose Lace.I'll have to look for seeds next year. Marg
    {{gwi:738207}}

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I love all the dianthus that i have, though Arctic Fire also tends to get a bit out of hand. No picture - Photobucket and i aren't on friendly terms this evening! Of course, i also love all the dianthus you guys have, too - very pretty. I had one bright red one called "Flashing Lights" but it got eaten by some achillea. :(

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I agree with you Sharon, I haven't met a Dianthus I didn't like either. I like bang....and they certainly provide it.

My favorite of last year was Ideal Select White Fire.

I planted some in front of my rose bushes last year. But my 2 year old plants were huge and flowered forever. I don't have a shot of them though.

A very pretty one from the Ideal Select Mixture. I need to try to find out which one this one is.

A mixture of deltoids. Artic Fire, Flashing Lights and another that the name escapes me now.

I've had this one plant for years...it is a perennial. I have not been able to collect seeds from it. It never has set any.

Another one that I can't remember the name of. Sharon had sent me the seeds a few years back.

Shelley

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

No weeds in my rock garden??? hahahahaha. Sharon, you're my inspiration to try and keep a handle on them. But I find the cram 'n jam method (kinda like mass planting but not so well thought out) is much more proficient at hiding the weeds or at least not giving them room to breathe.

That plant in that second-to-last photo is really pretty, Shelley. How tall is it? The plant in the last photo is Dianthus arenarius.

So, does everyone always leave Dianthus to winter regardless of if they're supposed to be annual? I've left the Parfait's (strawberry and raspberry) and had a number of them winter. Also a particularly nice Proven Winner hybrid - sold as an annual - has survived one winter so far - I'm hoping that will continue.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

What? Your lawn boy DH doesn't give you enough inspiration Pudge? ;)

Yes, Dianthus 'Supra Purple' (2006 AAS Bedding Plant Award and the Fleuroselect Qualtiy Award) came back last year for me and I'm hoping they will cont' again this year too.
    They really look awesome edging a bed.

Sharon

• bdgardener
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the lovely pictures, now my list of plants I absolutely have to have is getting soooooooooooooooo much longer. Question, do you direct sow yours seeds or start them early and transplant? Cheryl

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Cheryl, they are sooooooooo easy to wintersow.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shelly is enabling us, you're all enabling me, but that's what I wanted! ... I wish I would have started this thread before I had placed my seed orders! That Ideal Select White Fire is amazing and so is the red with the withish edge, stunning! ... did I say I'm jealous? Shelly, do you have a variety name for the second to last photo, the light pink double?

Marric, that King of Blacks is soooo nice, is it fragrant?

Terry

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

That is it Sharon...Dianthus Arenarius. The second one is small only a few inches tall. Ahh found the name in last years photobucket.
    Dwarf Double Pink.

I always leave my Dianthus in hopes that they make the winter. Usually most of them do.

Shelley

• bdgardener
    15 years ago

guess I'm off to try some winter sowing, I've only done it by accident before. I'm not too late am I? Cheryl

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Right now is a great time to start wintersowing perennials that don't need a (long stratification)in our zone Cheryl. Annuals I would wait closer to spring.

15 years ago

All of my dianthus overwinter. I did have an annual one that lasted for five or six years before dying out.

I absolutely love that Dwarf Double Pink - will have to keep my eyes open for seeds now.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Terry: Yes, King of Blacks is fragrant. I like the scent but also the fact that the flowers open almost a scarlet and then darken as they age. If you want seeds in the fall let me know. I just went thru this post and there are several that are on my 'must have' list. The search is on for the seeds! Marg

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Shelley: I knew I'd seen your white dianthus before so I checked on eseeds.com. I believe yours is 'Snowdonia White'. Marg

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shelley, thanks for putting a name to that very nice double pink :) Your photo of the mixture of deltoid types has me thinking I'd better again be planting some of these! I'm trying the Diamond mixture and hope it's half as nice as the Ideal select, those are amazing!

Marg, I'll come up with something nice to trade you in return for seeds of King of Blacks :)

Dianthus is an very indispensable plant, great for the rock garden, perennial or annual border.

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    Another one I love is Supra Purple. They all made it their first winter and were huge last year.

Of course I have Artic Fire beside them. I have tons of these.

I save seed off them all. This is my favorite from Supra Purple. It isn't purple anymore. I had lots of white and dark pink too.

Shelley

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shelley, your photos have motivated me to pick up the catalogue and order yet more seed :)

Terry

• celtic_07
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Your fabulous pic made me almost smell their scent.What a wonderful pick me up.I'll need to review this again and write the names so next year I can go on a hunt for seeds. Lois

• backyardgrown
    14 years ago

There's no way I could pick just one. I have a blood red (really deep red) that looks like a confetti. I have no idea, because I dug up the pieces from my mother's garden.

I have seed on the way for several different types, and I can't wait to plant them. The Sweet William I planted last year is blooming like crazy.

Sorry, no pics.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I just came in from checking my garden and it looks like my 'King of Blacks' may have died. There is no growth at all. I'm hoping that maybe it's just taking it's time and just being weird like the weather! In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it comes up later. Marg

• RedTurtle
    12 years ago

Such beautiful photos! Where is the best place to buy seeds, or plants? I have sweet William and King of Blacks, but that is it. What is great is that the deer don't eat them, at least not when there are so many tasty hostas around!

Also, can anyone tell me if there is a dianthus with little pink flowers with the word "Cheddar" in the name? I think it was just a spring bloomer.

• mytime
    12 years ago

Perhaps you are thinking of Dianthus gratianopolitanus (also known as D. caesius), common name Cheddar Pink. There are many cultivars, including Firewitch, Grandiflorus, Tiny Rubies...

I absolutely love dianthus...any size, shape, or color!

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Gardens North has always carried several Dianthus

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North

• denidill
    12 years ago

when you say 'winter sow', do you mean, sowing the seed directly in the garden in early spring OR sowing in the milk containers (or similar). I have never tried this, but from the lovely photos, I need to start.

12 years ago

Wintersowing is starting seeds in containers outside in the winter. It's really easy to do and keeps your hands in the dirt over the winter!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I pulled out all my Arctic Fire again today. It was just going too crazy and also harbouring quack grass. Every so often I decide I need some again, plant it, then I pull it out after about 2 years because it takes over. Luckily it's easy to find seeds in stores.

I have something I got in a Gardens North mix - can't remember what - but it blooms like small carnations and has a strong, beautiful carnation smell. The leaves are long and thin like carnations too. It's nice.

12 years ago

I know what you mean about that, Gil. I keep saying i'm going to dig it all up, and maybe i'll get around to doing it - who knows? LOL I have a little white deltoides one that's like that too.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County