Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended pears?

Posted by davidcalgary29 2b AB (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 0:03

I acquired a pear tree two years ago, but it seems doubtful that I'll get a good crop out of it due to the fact that it's an early-flowering variety (late April to early May) and I've suffered blossom drop (probably due to low temps) for the past two seasons. Can anyone recommend a pear variety that flowers later in the season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended pears?

I find all my pears flower pretty early, good cross pollination is more of a issue I think.
After waiting for about 8 years with my tree, I started to graft onto, that's when all turned around.

o

Beurre Bosc is hardy to at least -25*F (not sure about conversion to Celcius) and supposidly bloom late.

or, how about this idea? A shipovo Mountain ash/pear cross. It is very, very hardy, and makes sweet pears about the size of apricots. A regular Mountain ash acts as a pollinator, but they are supposidly self-fertile as well.

When shopping for a pear, research it's tolerance to fire blight, if the apples in your neck of the woods gets this awful disease...pears catch it too.

o

Harrow's Delight - from Ontario, is resistant to fireblight and scab.

Warren - hardy to -20*F altho it is originally from Mississippi...(weird) and resistant to fireblight.

Up in zone 2a you get temps well in excess of -20 tho, don't you?

o

almost a guarantee that we will hit -40 for a few days each year.

Thanks for the heads up on pears David I was going to plant one this year. But if it can't produce here pointless for me. I think I'll grab another apple instead.

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 0:39

o

I agree with Konrad, pears flower early but I've never had blossoms killed by frost. My Ure pear tree didn't do much until I grafted on some (very sour) cultivar that I don't recall the name of right now. Ever since then, the tree rains pears every autumn. Problem is, I don't really get how to ripen them properly, so I snack on some ripe windfalls, but most end up as 20 gallons or so of rotten, wasp-eaten fruit headed for the composter. People sure do get impressed though when you say you are growing pears in Edmonton :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here