Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Plant Mail Orders

sazzyrose
17 years ago

I just received an e-mail that my Botanus order was sent. I'll be checking my mail everyday until it comes. I did end up canceling about half my order. Including my Scentimental Roses. I thought it would be for the best this year. I have to move some roses around to put them in a perfect spot. I'll get them next year instead.

Shelley

Comments (76)

• dadada
    16 years ago

Hi, I saw one of these Walmart Wisterias you are talking about and picked one up for $5 as a lark. There is actually no indication on the package as to what type of Wisteria it is, it just says "Wisteria Vine."

I notice that the Southland Walmart in Calgary has a few other out-of-zone items, e.g. Blue Princess Holly being another noteworthy example.

• redpeony
    16 years ago

Well I unpacked my Frasier Thimble Farm order today, and the plants did all look good. Some of the plants definitely look smaller than the one gallon size specified - geranium Rozanne and the cinnamon ferns being the smallest. Some of the hosta's however I needed to pot up since I wasn't quite ready for them - and a couple of those were hard to put into the one gallon pots that I had laying around. I was expecting bigger plants overall - but by ordering this way I did manage to get the varities that I wanted, for much less money. However the flip side is that I will have to wait longer for the plants to fill in since they are smaller to begin with. I must say that the plants from Frasier Thimlbe Farms look much better than the couple that I had ordered from McFaydens.
    Janet

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received my daylilies from Strongs on Friday. This is my first mail order from a daylily supplier. The daylilies were in really nice shape. Some of the plants were huge. Others that were smaller had quite a few fans.
    Maureen seems to have very good customer service. I don't want to go into detail, but she treated me royally.
    She has my business next year.
    BTW, all of these plants are planted and settling in their new home.
    Cedar Ridges order is in the mail. So I then I will be able to compare quality. And Floral and Hardy haven't answered my e-mail. I'll have to phone them tomorrow to see if they can send my order asap. Only 3 weeks of planting time left.
    Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh that's good to hear Shelley about Strong's, I just got an email that my DL's should be in Tuesday.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I recieved my Floral and Hardy order on friday. There were no substitutions like last year, which was great. I got everything I had ordered, and the plants were a lot nicer and larger than last year too.

Shelley, Floral and Hardy don't have a lot of employees I think, so I'm sure Betty and Merv are out in the field madly digging and packaging, so that's probably why you haven't gotten an email back from them yet. They also had to cut down on the number of orders that they took from last year, so it's hard to say if they even have much left. Hopefully they'll still have what you want.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Good to hear Laurie that there was no screw ups this year from F&H. I'm anxious to see the LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE that I received last year from them if it turns out what its suppose to be ;)

I received my Strongs order today Shelley, got those all planted today instead of the roses. The roses will have to wait another week, had to Round Up that darn bed again!

I too I'm really pleased with my first order from Strong's, I'll be ordering from them for sure next year as well.

They threw in 2 SF gifts as well!
    PINK LADY ANNE
    GOSSAMER LACE

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, I almost ordered Pink Lady Anne. My gift plant was Indian Giver.
    After seeing your pic's last year, it was on my want list ...bad.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received my daylilies from Cedar Ridge today. The plants are equally as nice as Strongs. They were sitting in the mail a bit longer so they are quite yellow.
    Bonus plants were double fans of Anthony Mullins and Charles Johnston.
    Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Don't look but Botanus is having a End of Season Sale-30% off!

Here is a link that might be useful: Do not enter

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dang, my roses from Cedar Hollow were shipped out Monday, but still haven't arrived. Janice did some checking and they are not sure where they are at the moment. So this means that they will still be sitting in the box for at least another 3 days because of the long weekend.
    Plus my order from Floral and Hardy was shipped on Tuesday. That one didn't come today either.
    What the heck is up with Canada Post?

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Shelley, maybe Canada Post is a little backed up because Greyhound Courier Express is on strike. I hope your plants didn't get sent Greyhound! :-O

I got my Pickerings order today, four bareroot roses and they all look healthy and large. Polstjarnan is own-root and looks just as big as the others. Now I need some days off without rain to get the gardens ready!!

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

So far I've received my McFayden and Botanus orders(various perennials), but am still waiting for some daylilies from Cedar Ridge and an order of saskatoons, currents and strawberries from The Saskatoon Farm. Which is fine because its supposed to be cold and rainy/snowy this week. She figured May 28th it would be sent, Greyhound strike pending :^(

Botanus's roots were noticeably healthier looking than what I got from McFayden's. And McFayden's shipped my order too early, so I couldn't plant right away. If I order from them again I'll have to remember to specify shipping later. Not sure if they do that or not. I know I asked Cedar Ridge to send that order toward the end of May and I haven't received that order yet, so apparently they complied. This is the first time with Cedar Ridge, but I think they are changing hands this year anyway.

I'll be a repeat Botanus customer for sure.
    Good to know others are happy with Fraser's Thimble Farm, they sure have a lot of unique plants to choose from.

• catt_2006
    16 years ago

Well I think like a lot of you I will only be purchasing bulbs from Veseys. I purchased bulbs from them last fall and all of the tulips are up and are beautiful. This spring I purchased some delphiniums and daylilies from them...1 out of the three daylilies were tiny...I guess that is not too bad but both delphiniums were a bust. 1 delphinium had some wilted growth and the other one was non-existant. There was nothing in the peat moss when I opened the bag!!!! The customer service person I spoke to was nice, she gave me credit for all of the not so great plants plus the shipping. I will use this to purchase some fall bulbs.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I too have to give Veseys a call. I haven't had luck ordering live plants from them either. Why I continue ordering live plants from them, I do not know. It actually is varieties that I cannot find anywhere else and customer service and hope that some of these plants will make it. Their bulbs are usually fine (though sometimes mixed up). And I ordered irises from them last fall that were nice sized.

Shelley (with hopes of my roses arriving tomorrow)

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I received my rose order from Cedar Hollow and my daylilies from Floral and hardy. Looking at everything makes me wish that they would have came on Friday. I'm sure all will be well though.
    Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another (and last) parcel was in my mailbox today. This one was from Gardenimport. Wow is all I can say. These plants look like I just picked them up at a greenhouse.
    I ordered: Clematis Betty Corning
    Clematis Princess Dianna
    Lilac Beauty of Moscow
    They are nice sized plants, but not huge by any means. I found Betty Corning in a greenhouse earlier this spring. It was probably 2-2 1/2 the size, but also twice the price.

I had received a collection of Calla lilies from them earlier. The growth from one of these rhizomes have outdone all my others put together even though the rhizome was roughly the same size.
    Definitely a place that believes in quality.
    Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had ordered 3 miniature lilacs from Dominion Seeds last year. Not one made the winter. I e-mailed them the other day to let them know. Holy cow they are refunding me my money. The lilacs were rated for zone 3 and they have me listed for a 1b. I was surprised that they are refunding.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Shelley, do you mean dwarf Korean Lilacs? If so, they should be hardy for us (there are a couple in my yard) and you have every right to get a refund. Anyway, it's nice that they're not giving you a hard time.

I'm still waiting for my Montfort daylilies... their website says anywhere from mid-May to mid-June. Wait wait wait...

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I should be getting hold of DSH then. I don't think anything i bought from them last fall has made it. >:( Btw, they also have me listed as 2b when i'm at least 3a if not 3b.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It doesn't say what kind of lilacs. Just a compact variety named Josee that grows 2 m high. I guess they are rated for zone 2. The catolouge said that they bloomed from June until frost.
    I have 4 dwarf (3 different varieties)lilacs in my yard too. 2 of them are really slow to leaf out this year. The other 2 are full of flower buds.
    Send DSH an email Marcia. What can it hurt?

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

DSH, is where I bought that dead Lady Slipper!!!!

I better get my F&H order in tomorrow, I can't believe how long its taking to get here. I got a email verification from Canada Post that my parcel has been sent out last Tuesday. Tomorrow will be 8 days!

Shelly, have you ever ordered from Cornhill Nursery in NB, I know its kind of far east for delivery, but they have a great selection of own-root lilacs, yes own-root lilacs, apparently some lilacs can be grafted. They also have a great selection of own-root roses too ;)

They send good quality, good size plants, very nice people to deal with and great customer service.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornhill Nursery

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon,my order from F&H took 7 days. You are a bit farther.

I have been to Cornhill's website many times. Though I have never ordered from them ...yet. But if you say they are good ...well then.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Shelly were they in good shape when your F&H order arrived? I'm getting worried! Also did you get any bonus DL's with your order?

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They were probably the worst looking of all the places that I bought from. Quite shriveled and yellow. Sitting in a box for that long will do that. But now after being planted for a week, most are showing new growth.
    Their packing was quite nice though.
    The bonus daylily that I got was Summer Wine. It was my request. They also sent along a bonus hosta-Pacific Blue Edger.

I thought I read some where that daylilies are fine in shipping for a good 10 days.
    Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, you must have put in a big order with Floral and Hardy to get a daylily bonus. I ordered 6 daylilies and only got a bonus of a hosta, but I had assumed that the hosta came in from answering her "quiz".:(

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Well, I received my F&H order about an hour ago. I'm really disapointed with this order. First, it took so long to get here, but thats probably are great postal service we have here in Canada, second, like you said Shelley, they are dry and yellow, I have them soaking in the sink right now, hopefully they will plump up. Most of all, I'm not pleased because they sent 3 daylilies that have split fans instead of attached double fans, this will take longer for them to increase and bloom.

Yeah, why did you get a bonus DL Shelley, all I got was the Pacific Blue Edger Hosta too like Laurie ;)

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Make that 4 DL's that were split.....grrrrrrrrrrr!

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ordered 6 daylilies for a total of $63.75 plus taxes.
    One F&H order form it stated "Please give us a list of plants you would like as substitutes or gift plants.�" So I gave them a couple names and said no substitutions.
    That is crappy that you never got any daylily gift plants. Everyone should be treated the same.
    How big were you orders Sharon and Laurie?
    You can tell I am a novice daylily buyer. I didn't know it was important to have attached double fans. I did have split fans from all orders. I think. I do not even know which ones. Hmmmm....
    So will they bloom this year if they are split? Or are they possibly too immature?
    I wish I would have known this before. I would have made notes when planting.
    I soaked my daylilies a long time Sharon. They did kind of plump up.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, did you get the 15% discount for ordering early? I had ordered 6 daylilies for $106.35 plus taxes. Plus I had figured out the same name for a hosta, daylily, and I think it was a heuchera, on their website. There was supposed to be a plant in my order as a prize, which was hosta Erromena(I assumed). My daylilies were in fairly good shape when I got them. Some were split fans, and some were attached, but all in all, they seemed to be bigger divisions than last year, which I was happy with. They've been in the ground for a couple of weeks now, and are doing well.

• ladydarcie
    16 years ago

I received via Canada Post my order last week from VeseyÂs. I took advantage of their 50% sale they just had. The plants were satisfactory and everything came except my package of 4 woodland ferns only had 3 roots in it. I sent them an email about this on Monday, and have yet to get a reply.

Just yesterday I received my order from Floral and Hardy, which I placed in late April (too late for the 15% discount.)

I ordered 15 daylilies and 17 hostas. Everything but one daylily came with my order. Total for my order was $271.00.

All of the plants are a nice size and looking very healthy. The amazing thing about my order was that I expected them to come via Canada Post, but when I got home yesterday they were all sitting nicely in pots beside my house. Wow a special delivery, which is at least 100 miles from their nursery.

This was my third order from Floral Hardy. I ordered and received via mail order an order last spring, and then this past summer I took a road trip up to visit their nursery. I will say, "It sure is worth the drive." Betty and Marv are the nicest people you would ever want to meet and their daylilies in the field are a sight to see.

Although, I did enter their contest of the same name plant, I did not receive any bonus plants, and never have. When compared to order mail orders I have place Floral and Hardy beats everything by a long shot.
    Darcie

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Yes, you're right Darcie, F&H's prices for daylilies are very resonable, and it's been wonderful corresponding with Betty too. I guess we've just become accustom to receiving bonus plants with daylily orders. I know last summer, I only ordered 2 daylilies from Vivaces Nordiques and they sent a bonus plant with that order. But then their prices are higher, so I guess it evens out in the end.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Laurie,I got the 15% discount. I didn't see anything on the web about the same name plant contest.
    Maybe I'm a new customer and they wanted to impress me? That could be why they sent me 2 bonus plants. Hmmm. Maybe it was the e-mail and leaving a message on their answering machine saying "send out my daylilies out asap so I can get them into the ground and baby them a bit before I go for surgery." An early get well gift. I don't know.

The size of the plants are not an issue for me from F&H. It is the length of time they spend in shipping, Darcie. Even though I didn't have to pay for shipping.

And I like freebies. I love surprises.
    Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Sharon, what's the difference between a split fan and a double fan? (Use little words, I'm dumb, LOL)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Prices for double fans unless you specify otherwise is what is says at F&H website. A healthy clump should have 2-3 fans that are all attached to the roots, not separate single fans. SF will grow in given time 3-4 year and depending on the cultivar it may be a slow or fast increaser. The other growers I have ordered daylilies from always send 2-3 fans attached, sometimes 4 if they are vigorous, not split fans like this poor thing(s).

{{gwi:738307}}
    TIGERLING

I wrote Betty an email that I'm not a happy camper.

My order came up to $109, I expected a bonus daylily, not a hosta. What if I were a customer who didn't care for Hostas or had no shade? I just thought this was strange for a bonus when I ordered 11 daylilies.

Gil, here is an example of 2-3 fans all attached to the roots. I had great daylilies from this company and others like Stong's & Beachwood.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Fans

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, the same name contest was on their blog I believe.

Sharon, it is a bit weird getting a hosta as a bonus when you've ordered all daylilies. I'm thinking they must not have had many daylily fans to spare. Last year, as substitutions for a lot of the daylilies I had ordered, I received heucheras, pulmonarias, and heucherellas instead of daylilies! Oh well, at least most of them are doing well this spring with only one fatality, the heucherella.:( I wonder if the hosta collectors who ordered from there got daylilies as bonuses? Maybe they're secretly trying to diversify us gardeners!lol

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Sharon. I got great DLs from Vivaces Nordiques too... some of them looked like bunches of bananas. I think I'm going to put in a summer order with them again, especially since DH went & bought himself a new DVD recorder yesterday while I was at work >:0( grrrr I deserve daylilies.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

You do deserve new DL's Gil, how dare he bought something behind your back! ;)
    I know what you mean about VN's banana roots. Awesome size. I'll be ordering from them in the near future too. I sure wish Beachwood was taking mail orders, they too had banana roots.

You got a point Laurie, this freebie Hosta better not have the HVX!

Sharon

• maggiemuffin360
    16 years ago

Well, I had decided to go ahead and give 'Blue Moon' Wisteria a try. It arrived yesterday, so in the garden it will go tonite. That's the good news!

The bad news is that I discovered the Gardenimport site - :-) as mentioned earlier by someone.... Succumbed to temptation and ordered 3 clematis (to replace the ones I lost over the winter) and 2 magnolia shrubs. All this after promising myself that I wasn't going to plant a lot of new stuff this year - just look after what was already planted.

Yikes, this on-line ordering is just too easy.

Margaret

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

"Yikes, this on-line ordering is just too easy"

You're right about that Margaret!lol

Sharon, I never thought about the hosta virus.......the ones we got aren't on the "most likely" list of virused hostas, but I guess you never know. All you can do is to keep an eye on them.

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I've been following this with interest, as I'm still waiting for the arrival of my order from F&H. I only ordered hostas however.

I placed my order with F&H specifically because Betty assured me that she was doing everything in her power to provide healthy hostas. She is well aware of the virus HVX and takes precautions to avoid it.

That was refreshing to hear considering many nurseries are continuing to sell diseased hostas.

So Sharon I understand your disappointment with receiving single fans, but I highly doubt she sent you a diseased hosta.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I highly doubt she sent you a diseased hosta.
    Let's hope so!

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I'm delighted to say I received my hosta order from Floral and Hardy today and they are all in great shape. I was luckier than Sharon with the postal service as my order arrived in 4 days. Now I just have to decide exactly where I'm going to place these babies. I ordered more than I should have to take advantage the free shipping and the discount.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I just recieved my order from Vivaces Nordiques of daylily 'Xia Xiang'. The roots were huge, and it had 4 fans! AND they also threw in a bonus daylily of 'Chorus Line'........they always exceed my expectations.:0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Laurie, VN threw in a bonus DL for just ordering one daylily, that is awesome!

I still haven't heard a word from F&H about my order.

I did get an replacement of Cypripedium reginae from Dominion Seed House, I thought that was mighty nice of them to do so!

Sharon

• catt_2006
    16 years ago

Received my Cedar Hollow order of three roses on Friday. They were polestar, Dr. Merckley and what was supposed to be lambert Closse but instead was polareis. I must say that the customer service at Cedar Hollow is wonderful because I was not going to worry about it but was contacted by Cedar Hollow and asked if the right rose was sent out and if not they would send it out at no charge.

Now I have to find a spot for lambert closse as I put the polareis in the spot that I had for it.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Wow that is awesome customer service Catt!
    Lynn is so nice!

Sharon

• maggiemuffin360
    16 years ago

Received my order from Gardenimport on Friday - 3 clematis & 2 Magnolis trees.
    They were in great condition and very well packaged.
    Have to say that they are the best-looking & best-packaged order of plants that I can ever recall receiving.
    Now, if they will just be as hardy as I hope.....
    Margaret

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I received my Hortico order on Friday as well. Things were pretty well packaged, but a couple of the plants weren't very happy - an arenaria and the durandi clematis. 'Pamela Jackman' looks just great, and so did the two daylilies. The roses have good roots, but are still dormant. I have hopes for them, though - they have that look of roses about to burst into leaf. Hope i'm right!

• rosy_heritage
    16 years ago

I just rec'd an order of Dahlia tubers from easytogrowbulbs.com. I ordered late and on sale. In addition to the exceptional service b4 the sale(I had 800 detailed instructions about delivery) I rec'd the largest, most astounding tubers I've ever rec'd in 8 years of growing Dahlias. I have a habit of buying early from the home improvement stores b/c I'm too impatient to wait for my mail orders to arrive...never, never again. My only wish is that they sold roses...

• fisfar
    15 years ago

I have fruit trees ordered do you have that order? I ordered them through Discover Card and it was like May or sometime in the early fall or late summer of 2008. Joyce M Fisher 520 Mc Pherson road Council Grove Ks 66846 fisfar@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County