Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tender perennials in the snow

Posted by denidill 3a Alberta (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 0:21

hi all, I removed most of the mulch from my garden since I was lulled into a false sense of security by the balmy weather we had in March. Well, today it is snowing and I am wondering how my plants are fairing. Would perennials hardy to zone 4 or 5 be okay with -5C temperatures we are supposed to get this evening? (I did throw some leaves back on, but not as many as I had on in the winter).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tender perennials in the snow

They should be okay. Zones 4 and 5 go down to -5 too. And the snow will help insulate. (Oops - it's April. S*** is now a 4-letter word!)

o
RE: tender perennials in the snow

Yeah I wouldn't worry. A perennial that has sprouted in regular spring temps is hardened off already, as opposed to a nursery-raised plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here