Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fillagirl_gw

Canna Lillies & Sweet Potato Vine

fillagirl
13 years ago

Hello, I'm not a new poster, just one that hasn't been around for a while, glad to see that the Far North forum is still active!

I am a newbie at gardening, and am trying to start Canna Lillies and Sweet Potato vine. For the Canna lillies, I was thinking of starting them in a regular sized ice cream pail, but worried that it might be too shallow...thoughts on that?

I was thinking of putting 3 bulbs per pail, if it wasn't too crowed. Do you think that would work, then I could transplant later on?

Also, I am trying to grow sweet potato vines, bought some yams at the grocery store and have them sitting in water in a clear plastic container (old peanut butter container) (1/3 of the tuber in water, held up with toothpicks). Will these make decent potato vines for containers? And do you think they'll be ready for the end of May or early June?

Thank you in advance for your advice & expertise.

Comments (5)

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

Welcome back :)

The ice cream pails will not be too shallow for the canna's. A couple years ago I started some individually in 1 gallon pots and transplanted later. Just make sure the pails have drainage holes.

I've not tried growing yams for their vines but you seem to have the right idea. When they start to grow, they should grow quickly. Grocery store produce that's probably treated with (whatever) to prolong shelf life may impede the progression.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I always fondly remember the year I was too broke to buy potting soil so I started my cannas in cardboard boxes full of shredded newspaper. Worked like a charm. ;0)

I would just buy a slip of sweet potato vine from a nursery in spring. There are some pretty colours like purple and lime green, and one plant won't cost a lot and will fill out fast. I agree with Pudge that a grocery store tuber might be treated to prevent sprouting. Try it if you want though.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I started sweet potato cuttings one year. You have to make sure you buy a potato that is fairly fresh, not to dried and wrinkled. I just bought mine at the supermarket. I used an egg carton, you can use a foil tray if you want, to lay the potato in. First, Cut the potato lengthwise, then score the cut side into 10 or 12 sections. Line the carton with dampened peat moss. Turn it cut side down and place it on dampened peatmoss. Wrap the whole thing, carton and all, with plastic wrap to hold in the humidity. They had started to sprout within 2 weeks. At the end of the growing season, you can take cuttings to overwinter for next summer. Hope this helps. Marg

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention, you will only get green plants, a dull medium green color. If you want colorful ones, you would be better off buying slips from a nursery. Just remember to take cuttings and overwinter them.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all your replies. Regarding the sweet potato vines, I was hoping to get the lime green coloured vines, so if they aren't going to give me those, it looks like I might be eating those yams for Easter!

I planted the canna bulbs last night, 2 per 2 gallon pot (I found some outside) and am hoping that works out.

Thank you again.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio