Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring ? ... the other thread maxed out

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 1:18

What an up and down spring! From +20 C the other day to these biting temperatures. I had stopped at the HomeDepot greenhouse and the ladies there sure had some somber sour long faces ... we shared a good laugh as we all had cursed just a bit, lol ... it was really cold! I was also reminded the of blizzard we had experienced last April, that was quite the storm!

Seems our springs are not getting any warmer nor too much earlier, though at least it sometimes makes up for it on the other end of the season ... well, we can always hope it does!

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring ? ... the other thread maxed out

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 7:55

It has been cold and raining for the past few days. It's warmer today and supposed to be 22C tomorrow! I can take that. Unfortunately we are in for another few days of rain after that. Yesterday I wore my parka outside because the winds were that bad. Tomorrow I'll probably wear shorts! Enough of this weird weather, let's just have summer! Marg

o

We got SNOW this morning. How depressing!

o

My six year old son built another snowman yesterday. I had to bring all my seedlings back into the basement from the greenhouse (unheated) it got down to -12 here. So tired of this. Cheryl

o

Doesn't it feel like we get winter 7mths of the year??! argghh...snowing here this morning too.
I have a serious case of "grumpy" today...day off and this is what a person gets
Debbie

o

This has been downright crazy! So far my spring-sowing sprouts are OK under their little "greenhouse in a greenhouse" arrangement I managed to set up.

At least the weekend forcast is somewhat better.

o

I'm enjoying this thread, we can all be miserable together and get a chuckle out of it, lol ... misery loves company! At least we're not experiencing flooding (not here anyways) don't live on a fault line (and if you do, it's your fault, lol) and seldom do we experience wildfires, that's terrible what happens in someplaces!

Late last night, I had gone outside and hilled up my clematis (large flowered types) against the house, most of which were up about 4 inches tall, I'd hate for these to freeze off and then be forced to produce new stems.

I hope this is the last cycle of this cold stuff, but like Ginny had said, we have not yet gotten past the May long weekend ... so true!

Now, where's my darn parka?

Terry

o

I think you are right Terry, in saying that things are better on the other end. Last year we had a beautiful Halloween and I still had many snapdragons, marigolds and dianthus blooming on Oct.31. I think we just don't think about that when we have had such a cold, snowy winter. We also had a real blast of super cold last year about this time since I remember my daffs in bloom in the (seasonal) greenhouse with -17! At least the farmers have moisture and I have muddy dogs!!!! Too many muddy dogs!!!

Ginny

o

Ahhh, yes, last summer and autumn, lots of wonderful weather and then having flowers and color lingering on late into the season, definitely one of the best growing seasons I recall ... okay, it was a bit dry, but I'm not complaining!

Now, off to the greenhouse to pick up more plants and make myself yet more work, lol.

Terry

o

Brrrr cold here too - still -1 at noon. My heater is going all the time in the greenhouse, and I have the tenders cuddled up close to it and away from the walls. Some of my poor tulips were laying flat this morning. That can't be a good sign! We've missed all but a dusting of snow, so I guess that's good news, but I can't really picture putting my potatoes in the ground in another couple weeks. On the plus side, we are headed towards the hottest part of the year. Sooner or later, it's got to get warmer and stay that way. (positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive...)
Connie

o

It is S***ing like crazy here this evening and thundering like mad too. What a mixed up combination. The weather lows don't look as bad as they used too...but the highs don't look all that great either. I'm thinking we have to have one hot summer coming up.
I really have no plants coming up yet. A couple tulips poking their heads out and a few daylilies showing green. They must be smart or they all winter killed. I'm hoping for the first suggestion.
My roses are sending out leaf buds. Even a couple grafted teas have lots of green stem too. I hope this cold snap doesn't do much harm.

Shelley

o

We've been getting the -8C nights in Edmonton. However, I am more concerned about cloud cover and low day time highs. My green house relies on passive water (400 litres) for heat. The low was 0.9 C the other day and my tenders still look alive if not vibrant.

Outside I have a couple of crocus and tulips in bloom. Also, I planted out my leeks, transplanted strawberries to a new lasagna bed (needs water, but it's freezing) and have hundreds of garlic sprouts.

The garlic was a surprise. I thought it was garlic chives and wondered why it died down. Dug it up to move and found tiny bulbs. Reading the veggy forum I realized they were garlic grown from seed.

When will I be able to say I have survivors -- July?

o

Oh snow again! it won't last but but would be wrong with with 10 degrees and gentle showers. The plants are poking their little noses out, tulips getting ready to bloom in the front, crocuses in the back, marsh marigolds in the pond and it is too cold to be outside enjoying them. I love the snow in winter but Really now.

o

We're supposed to get a bit tonight too. :( I walked around outside this evening after getting home from Thunder Bay, and just about froze. Still, my Yellow Mammoth crocuses will probably bloom tomorrow, and there's a lot of green coming. If only there was warmth!

o

Snow flurries on and off for the last 4 days and tomorrow isn't suppose to be all that much different. I haven't spent any time in my yard this past while, there's so much to do and it's now gonna be condensed into s ahorter period of time:( ... well, at least I've had the chance to do alot of painting in the house and other things.

Terry

o

It's snowing here right now, as I look out the front living room window it looks like winter out there ;(

o

Just got the news today. Spring has been cancelled, we're going straight to 25C each day.

o

Spring??? This is not spring. Snow on the ground and cold.Please lets have just a touch of that global warming we have been hearing about.

o

Spring, what spring!!!!!! we had another s**n storm last night. I have now run out of space to put plants in the house.. My DH was suppose to hook up another light for me before he left for work last week. Sure could use it now and wiring is about the only thing I will not attempt. So every possible window is being used and I still have more to transplant. It never seems like I start that much until I start the transplanting. I do have some lilies starting to bloom in the house so at least there is something to look at. Will it ever be warm here again? They are calling for a nice weekend, guess we will wait and see. cheryl

o

Many times of recent, I've heard the word "disgusting" describe the weather, I totally agree, it's been so nippy! ... THOUGH, it looks like the end is in sight ... I hope!

Terry

o

I was getting depressed with the weather so I went to our local garden centre. They have the green houses open so no free coffee. The plants were nice; but' the prices were depressing. Then it started to snow and it got dark as well.

Oh well, there doesn't appear to be frost damage in the green house, although I'm not getting a lot of growth.

It was sunny by the time I got home. Alberta -- got to love it. :)

o

"The plants were nice; but the prices were depressing"

Yes, with the economy as such and drop in both gas and natural gas prices, I had expected and hoped for just a bit of a drop in prices, I had not found that to be the case at all. Grocery prices are up, though that's not too surprising, considering our dollar has dropped back down and much of the product comes in from the USA.

My daffodils are only just poking out of the ground in the garden, they're usually in bloom in early May ... talk about being a late start this year. The last week it's been difficult for me to even get motivated to start any more seeds, also the plants in the solarium have just sat due to the cool temps.

Terry

o

I also noticed that prices went up.

Even Walmart has higher prices this year, which tells me that the inflation is systemic rather than individual garden stores raising prices.

o

With the cold weather of recent, I had not checked on the progress of the water lilies for probably about ten days, I was surprised to see the growth that had been put on despite the very frosty conditions. The stock tank in which the plants are grown (located outside) is simply just covered in plastic. They'll really take off in the next while as the weather warms up :) ... they're so purdy in bloom and so rewarding, though indeed a bit of work ...

Photobucket

o

Prices up again? I didn't think they could get much higher. They were ridiculously last year. Not that I bought much, but a friend of mine who saves all of her containers for me thought she might go bankrupt. Guess I will be planting some more. It is the only thing that is getting me through this weather. I'm thinking some herbs this time round.

o

bdgardener ... I don't think there's been much of a hike in plant prices (others correct me if I'm wrong) since last spring, though they certainly have not gone down! But, in the last few years, prices have gone through the roof! ... like OUCH! Where my friend works at a local greenhouse, they throw out 1/3 of the annuals that they produce. Like maybe they should consider lowering the prices, people would then purchase more and I'm certain their profit would also be improved.

Terry

o

Yeah, shrubs used to be $14.99 at the local garden centre four short years ago, now they're $32.99!!! Eep!

o

Has the price of annuals skyrocketed or have I been living in a cave? I was shocked to see the garden centers (not big box stores) asking anywhere from $3 - $4 for a 4" annual, and these were just run of the mill annuals, nothing exotic. That seems pricey to me, filling a basket could cost a small fortune! I don't begrudge the garden centers, I'm sure their costs have gone up too, but WOW!

o

mmmmm, and up to $5 for some of the cutting grown stock. I'm gonna delete a few of my containers, I can't justify the cost of all those cute basket stuffers! I did purchase a few expensive plants, though these have been used extensively for cuttings and I can now fill my yard for the $15 worth of petunias I had picked up :)

Oh, it's looking like spring is here now ... FINALLY!

o

IT'S SPRING! IT'S SPRING.! I saw a dandelion blooming. Oh Joy Oh Bliss!! There is hope. ! That little plant made my day Yahoo!!

o

Today, I was looking at what must of been some of the most ugly and scrawny looking blue spruce, 5 footers with so few branches that they were almost laughable ... I could hardly believe they wanted $150.00 ... I would not plant these expensive ugly trees if they were given to me for free! Last spring, I had picked up some rather nice thick and full 3 ft 'Fat Alberts' for a decent $40.00 ... this year their 2 footers are going for a whopping $90.00 ... OUCH! I'm prepared to dish out a fair bit of dough to plant some more evergreens between the neighbour and myself, though at that price, forget it! At times one can get a good deal on large trees that are moved in with the tree spade, though the bush is too thick here to be having them brought in by that method.

o

I jumped the gun and bought two clematis last weekend, Jackmanii and Henryii. And on our way driving back home, in 30 second the snow start blocking my view, OMG. When we got home, the world is all white!

So these two clematis are sitting in front my fireplace. Having no sense of what kind of weather outside, Jackmanii has grown one foot on each of two shots. Have to tie and tape it to the fireplace mantel lol.

Please give us some better days this weekend!

o

The warm weather's blowing in as I type this. Yay!

o

Environment Casnada's predictions, updated, downgraded. Not the greatest. We don't believe them, though, do we. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather for May

o

Hope you people still *enjoying* the snow keep it to yourselves! I feel for ya tho. Ours has officially gone and it's nice and sunny but I'm still cautious.

We left home for 3 weeks this month (we're retired and should have been gone all winter but DH doesn't like the exchange rate and I hate to be away for very long) and have only just gotten back. Have started gardening - am moving a lot of plants around this year and trying to make some sense of it all. New beds, etc., etc. No end to the plans altho I know there's a limit to my endurance. Anyhow it's so fun til it's excruciating pain!

Gotta get out and play with compost! :-)

o

We are finally get some decent weather this weekend! Above temps at night too, whooohooo!

o

We are having a nice spell too. I cleaned out a couple flowerbeds yesterday. I'll continue the task when it gets light out. Hopefully I can finish it all up today.
I've been moving a few things around. Today I plan on moving a couple roses before they leaf out.

On the plus side, it looks like all my roses have made the winter. I am also seeing green on all my daylilies except for one. My peonies, tulips and other spring bulbs are poking through.

I did loose a few irises. Mostly new ones that were planted last year. And lots of my dianthus bit the dust too. Now I wish that I would have started way more.

Shelley

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Sun, May 3, 09 at 20:30

Yesterday was glorious +23...today a windy +12 and very little rain to make it worth while.So funny a few weeks ago I would have loved the +12 and would have not complained at all..lol..Jean

o

Today must have been at LEAST +15...maybe more. Felt positively summery compared to what it has been. So - of course - I was out poking around in the garden, planting some shrubs etc.

Speaking of prices...if I go early in the year, I find that some Superstores carry very nice, healthy plants that are easily a 1/3 of greenhouse costs. It is true, sometimes you are taking a bit of a gamble on exactly what you are getting, but if you know what you're looking for..I found some very nice hostas this weekend for only $3.50-4.00! If you are willing to wait for shrubs to grow, you can also buy small ones (including dwarf conifers) for $7.99-14.99. I'm willing to wait with some plants, because the larger ones are just unbelievably expensive.

If anybody does buy at places like Superstore though, be sure you go early - like now - because the plants definitely go sharply downhill after a month or so.

o

Weeper, Superstore is a frequent stop for me and indeed generally have pretty darn good prices! Though, I do see a hike from last year, some items considerably.

The last three days have been very nice, though looks like cooler and unsettled conditions are on the way. Have been moving lots of shrubs before they leaf out and I see that there's plenty of moisture in the ground.

Terry

o

Rhods are $32.99 at Canadian Tire. $32.99. Might as well just get them at the local garden centre.

o

Canadian Tire has scratch-off discounts this week. I have my eye on a hydrangea and a mock orange. :) Can't go tonight, but i'll be there tomorrow after work!

o

Costco has Rhodos for $16.99....and trees (crabapple, apple and plum, could have been others as well)for $31.79.

Miserable weather here the last couple of days....rain and thunderstorms...with hail.

Sierra

o

We've had great weather for a few days now, but for some reason it just can't last. Rain tomorrow and then getting colder and you guessed it - possible s*** for Friday and Saturday. Is this ever going to end???

o

Monday and Tuesday were lovely days, everyone was outside basking in the warmth.
What it looks like this morning:
Photobucket
Freezing rain overnight and now it's snowing.

o

Didn't see any rhods at Costco yet, will have to try again this week.

o

Friggin snow and cold ... 1/2 inch ice on the rain barrel this morning and still there's ice remaining at nearly 3:00 pm in the afternoon :(

Last night, I had brought in all my potted shrubs, roses and perennials, thank god I did, they would have been badly damaged by the hard freeze, as was some of the perennials that were nicely showing themselves in the front of the house. For this date, I think I had heard it was the coldest temp recorded in Edmonton in 50 years! Lots of losses at the greenhouses, SuperStore especially hard hit, as they apparently don't cover or protect things.

I'm so tired of winter!

Terry

o

Even Walmart covered up their stuff.

o

Lost my impatiens that were in the greenhouse last night, everything else looks fine.

Crazy fric' weather! I'm sick of it too!

Sharon

o

It hasn't hit here yet - just the wind and rain - but it's apparently coming. I'll have to throw a blanket over my winter sowing to protect the annuals that have sprouted, and bring in the hydrangea and mockorange that i bought last week.

What the heck have we done to deserve this? I ask you, really. >:(

o

OMG ... looks like we're not done with the cold ... The Weather Network shows more crap is on the way for next week ... bbbbrrrr!

Yes, Sharon, today I had seen lots of mushy impatiens and coleus :(

Terry

o

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Sharon. I don't have a greenhouse, but I do have a sunroom. It's too cold to leave anything in there though, so I've hauled everything back into the house and I'm now tripping over plants all over my back entrance. What a pain.

o

And on and on and on! I still amintain that this is May in Canada! I can remember VERY few May longweekends that didn't come with cold weather in this part of the country anyway.

To take my mind off it, I came across the Edmonton Journal Goosecam again. Mother Goose is almost ready to hatch her brood. According to the info. she is on like day 34 . At least she is sheltered and not wet.....yet. I remember a few years back, the mother Canada sitting her hatch on the hill by the lagoons east of Calgary. She wouldn't move even though her back was covered in snow and ice! And my husband was there daily to check the pumps about 2 feet away from her! Mother Nature sure is wacky and wonderful in all HER moods! Right GUYS?

Check her out on edmontonjournal.com. Perhaps we could all learn a little patience from this beautiful lady.

Ginny

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Wed, May 13, 09 at 19:45

I'm sorry to hear that, too, Sharon. Maybe it's just the top growth and the roots will sprout again? I had that happen with Amaranthus once - top growth froze off but they resprouted and came back in no time at all.

I can take exactly 2 steps into my greenhouse - every square inch of bench and floor is filled to capacity. The hardiest of stuff is in the garage, hopefully it'll weather the predicted -7 tonight.

Man, I think Mother Nature is on crack.

.......and didn't we have this conversation last year, too, LOL

o

Yes, we're experiencing nothing unusual for the prairies, last spring was cold and so also is this one! Though, after the next coming cold snap ... THAT BETTER BE IT FOR ALL THIS ARCTIC AIR!

Had rounded up the plants last night as mentioned ... BUT, forgot the stuff outside the walkout on the back of the house, for the most part it's all looking pretty sad:(

Terry

o

Wed, May 13, 09 at 21:23

I can feel all your disappointments 8-( Sharon that really sucks! I dubbed my zone as zone brrrr but I will pass that title on to some of you tough prairie gardeners.Hopefully this spring will not repeat itself for a long long time.Jean

o

We get a lot of cold weather in spring for sure, but it seems to me that it's extreme this year. We get a day or two of warmth and then cold, cold, cold. The leaves haven't even made an attempt to come out - everything's almost as bare as it was a month ago. There are catkins and puffy pussywillows, and some lilacs in Dryden are forcing out some leaves, but that's about it. Nothing here.

Ginny, i'm still watching the Africam that Sharon posted the link to a couple of years ago. If you want excitement, you can watch them go into their winter - a lot warmer than our spring! LOL The link is below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Africam

o

Haven't lost anything to the SPRING yet but I haven't put anything out either. I do, however, have 3 foot glads, 6 inch cucs, squash, melons, and 3 foot tomatoes growing in my kitchen! So I can relate. And we better get the real thing BEFORE my next litter of pups are here! There is no room for my whelping box!

Ginny

o

Sorry to hear that Terry, hopefully they'll rebound.
Pudge, I think I can salvage them, after being in the house all day, it looks like just the tops got bitten, the bottoms still look strong.
Marcia, I can't believe you're still watching the webcam. LOL

Sharon

o

I sure am, Sharon, and another one besides. :) That one takes people out on game drives - someone in the back of the landrover with camera equipment. They go and find animals - you don't have to wait for them to come for a drink at the waterhole. And a lot of times, they'll focus on vegetation and different flowers. Now i want seeds from the African Star Zinnia!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Earth

o

Snow flurries yet again this morning ... BLAH!

This has been one of the most consistently chilly springs I can recall ... and, yes, I'm complaining! There's literally been only a couple warm mornings when one could take your coffee outside and plunk yourself down and listen to the birds, the poor birds aren't even much singing this spring, they're too busy trying to keep warm and asking themselves why in the heck had they migrated back to the frozen tundra?

Am off to Greenland and Salisbury greenhouses this morning, NOT a nice day to be going, but I'll be in the area (picking up bluegrass seed at Pickseed). At least I won't be fighting the crowds at the nurseries ... that's worth a laugh or two!

My fall planted daffodils, many are still only breaking the ground, that's nuts! Though, I do look on the bright side of things, I'm getting lots of work done and plants moved around and I'm not having to break a sweat during my hard labours! Oh, and those winter packed on pounds are melting away (the love handles stick around till late summmer, lol) and soon I'll again be seein my six pack, that's worth another laugh, lol !

Keep warm everyone and keep your spirits up and your plants warm and plugged in :)

OH BTW .... I hope no one had planted any of their warm season crops such as beans, cucs or corn, these will definitely rot in the frozen cold ground.

Terry

o

Won't even be frost free by the long weekend. It's going down to -6 next week!!

o

My bleeding heart looks rather sad. To think I was going to move it when I saw flowers forming and decided to wait. I didn't want to lose the flowers.

However, my apricot is showing signs of life, two weeks after the other fruit trees. I thought I would be cutting it down.

What really bugs me about the freezing nights is that they follow more than a week of really nice growing weather. I have tomatoes that would enjoy being planted out; but, its another 3 weeks to the recommended planting dates. I'm tempted to plant and cover with plastic jugs. Still -5C seems a bit cold for that.

o

I haven't even gone around and looked at anything. Too discouraging right now. And too darn cold to wander around the yard! We had s*** on the ground this morning and more is expected tomorrow. The graph on the long range forecast looks like the TSX! >:(

o

jpother, my bleeding heart is only a couple of inches high, I'm sure it would have gotten frozen back had it been in advanced growth. I have the golden form and it's really a striking plant!

Marcia, indeed it's discouraging, very discouraging! Even if one is not a gardener, it sure would be nice to have some warm and settled weather! Strange that we can have some beautiful balmy conditions in the dead of winter, in Feb., we had three days of +13C here at Spruce Grove and now we're having such bitter freezing crappy stuff, it's just not right!

Just wanted to add that Wallish Greenhouses (Sherwood Park, AB.) is sure a NICE place and their prices are pretty darn good also :)... I picked up a few plants there.

Terry

o

Fri, May 15, 09 at 10:41

Here's my world this morning. Such a lovely start to the May long weekend - which, by the way, greets us with still leafless trees.

May 15, 2009

o

Oh, thanks Pudge for cheering us all up, lol ... that was the scene in some places in Alberta yesterday :( ... again, the word discouaging comes to mind!

Checking the two week forecast, it looks like we'd be wise to keep our plants in the greenhouse rather than doing any much planting out ...

I hope this does not end up being one of those seasons with only three weeks of summmer, I've seen that occur many times in my neck of the woods.

Terry

o

Good Grief Pudge!
We seem to have dodged that storm. It's moving through Manitoba, but is to the south of us.

o

Your pic looks like my yard!!
I HATE this weather!!
I think my plants are geting dissy from going in and out the door so often!
Kathy

o

GEE WHIZ, that is completely shocking Pudge! We did get some snow yesterday morning too, but nothing like that!

Here Im starting my annual month gardening vacation on Monday and I will not be planting any annuals till this passes.

Terry, they were right about the below normal spring, hopefully now they are right about the above normal summer.

I sure hope no hummingbirds are booking their destinations right now.

Sharon

o

Oh man.

I was in the Gallery. There's a thread there for May 18, 2008.

I'll just go and cry now.

o

Fri, May 15, 09 at 14:15

I think we had about 8" of snow fall, but I understand not too far north of me got somewhere around 18", yes, that's eighteen inches.

I feel like just sitting back and having a glass (or gallon) of wine and crawling back into my warm & cozy bubble of denial.

o

Shazam, go back and look at the one for June 8th and you won't feel so bad!

o

Fri, May 15, 09 at 16:22

OH YUCK..I feel for you Pudge. What a miserable way to get moisture this time of year! I am nervous..very very nervous because we have temps a little better then what was forecasted with no frost the last bit. I am waiting for the cold to sneak up on me here...Jean

o

Well, we had squeezed in a few nice days ... surprise, surprise! ... BUT, now temps are beginning to plummet and we're headed for more snow and cold and lows down to -7C on Monday morning ... oh, my poor plants! This has been a tortured spring!

Terry

o

Yes, I couldn't resist buying some perennials at the local greenhouse a week ago because they were very, very cheap (and also very small!) but now they just keep growing and I keep having to pot them up! Doesn't look like I'll be planting out by the avg. last frost date. I think I might have to wait until June. Waaaaaaaaa!

o

Hi Guys, I feel for all of you out west- Mother nature is definitly pissed off and letting everyone know. Pudge it looks like you are in feb. not May. It seems that this year we should all own a merry-go-round put the plants on it & stand back ,turn it on and go read a book or something.
I'm Having the same problem at the greenhouse and nursery as I'm fullllll to the rafters in plants, seedings still to be planted if I could find a spot anywhere and no place in the main greenhouses to put stuff as people are mostly looking. When the weather does break it is going to be a madhouse. I only hope and pray I can hold the plants off and keep them from getting too leggy!!!!
I too have noticed the price hike this year. I've found Superstore here has had some great finds and CHEAP. I go on my way homejust to see what's around.
Marcia you would not think you were in the same greenhouses where I work compared to when you were here last month. there isn't a spare inch of space. The lilies you were looking at are about 4ft high at least and full of buds. Met some of your friends @ the landscape design seminar and had seen them the day before at my work- small world.
Things are slow to come up here altho daffs,primulas, arabis, pulmonaria,etc are starting to flower finally.
Was hoping to hear everyones gardens were well on the way as I haven't been on lately. Let's hope summer is around the corner for all.
Take care Lois

o

Lois, one of those women was my sister-in-law and she bought me two more lilies for my birthday! :)

Today i bought a few 6 packs of petunias at Walmart - only $2.97 each. They're in my cold frame for now.

I'm being cautiously optimistic about the weather. It seems like it might be inching up towards normal. They're saying much higher temperatures next week - we know they lie, but if it got up to normal and stayed there, that would be good!

o

We finally had a nice rain last night. It was much needed. But when I got up for work this morning, the ground was white again. What happened to the global warming trend? Hmmm.

Shelley

o

Well, they are saying between +28-32 for 3-4 days next week...so maybe we have some global warming coming after all, lol.

o

Darn CHILLY mornings and pleasant afternoons, that's if it isn't cloudy or the lousy wind isn't blowing, yesterday was so MISERABLE! We are narrowing in on the longest day of the year and we have yet only had about three or four warm mornings!

A friend had said there was frost on his car this morning, darn sure there's gonna be the same again tomorrow!

Terry

o

We've got the same here. Back in March, it seemed so promising. Now we've got March/April temperatures in June. :-/

o

Several record lows were set in the province last night ... some places receiving a very hard frost ... none here, though I of course did bring the plants in last night, very tiring!

Two nice days are forecast and then it's back to the cool stuff, though we are not alone, as eastern Canada is also experiencing rather the same spring conditions ... thankfully, eh! I sure hate to see them enjoying summer temps while here we shiver most days ... LOL, LOL.

I'm not going to set out any annuals until after the next cool snap. In over 35 years of doing bedding plants, this is the LATEST I've ever been forced to delay things.

SPRING / SUMMER ... WHERE ARE YOU ???

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here