Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Northern Flying Squirrel?

Konrad___far_north
17 years ago

Tonight I went out and cleaned some nesting boxes, some I have placed higher on poplar trees and have to use a ladder to get up there. When I was just about to unscrew the roof with the drill, something was looking out quickly, me thinking it could be a brown squirrel, because they have been around for awhile. So I blocked the hole and taking the roof off, because I wanted to make eye contact with that creature!....I did!.. but not for very long, I have never seen a face like this!....next thing he jumped on my head and from there to the ground and that was all for the excitement for a while, until some minutes later, when I came down the ladder, I have seen it flying about 40 degree thru the air on top of a wood pile. It looks like I have flying squirrel......have you seen any?

Konrad

Comments (19)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Now that was quite the experience you had Konrad! I've never seen a flying squirrel before. You're sure it wasn't a bat? You'd better keep your camera handy, you may get some good picures.

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Looks like it might be a distinct possibility that it was a flying squirrel, Konrad. I found this website and it says they are definitely in the our area. I'm pretty sure that we used to see them up near the Glenevis area when I was small.

Shauna

Here is a link that might be useful: Flying Squirrels in the Edmonton region

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

There were flying squirrels in Thunder Bay in the '70s while i was at university, so they could very well be out there too. My husband thinks we have one around, but i haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I've never seen one. That is cool that you saw it "fly" Konrad! According to Shauna's link, they are nocturnal and rarely seen so you must have woken it up. I'm glad it wasn't me on a ladder with a squirrel on my head, that would have been a fast trip to the ground and then the hospital! LOL

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Kind of reminds me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - ROTFL

Shauna

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all!!
    Shauna, this is the link I got too, when I goggled for flying squirrel.
    The color and eyes matched,.. so I'm pretty sure.
    I will keep my eyes open but yes, because they are nocturnal, there is a slim
    chance. I'll keep you posted if something comes up!
    Konrad

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Neat! We have them here...DH says he has seen one before years ago and another neighbor has as well. Rare to see them though!

Hey, I thought you were the fastest camera draw in the west Konrad...I'm disapointed you never got a shot off! LOL...just teasing! :^) Wouldn't that have been something!

• savona
    16 years ago

Good thing you made eye contact with it before it used your head for a launchpad...lol..If you hadnt I'm sure the story would have had another ending 8-O. Hope you get to see him again and next time get a picture..savona

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all!...LOL

>>Hey, I thought you were the fastest camera draw in the west Konrad. I am, but not on top of a ladder. LOL

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's been two years and think I got him!!

I was at birdhouse cleaning today and taped on the tree first, [on owl boxes only] before climbing ladder, he looked at me so I left him alone, think he got a nest in there?

{{gwi:429921}}

Konrad

15 years ago

What a cutie, Konrad! Glad you finally got a picture of him/her. :) On re-reading this thread, i said that i hadn't seen any evidence of the squirrel around here, but since then i have. Two years in a row, there have been tracks on the snow at the side of the house where it looks like something has just dropped out of the sky and then ran to a tree. I don't know where he lives, but he must have launched himself from our roof. I should have taken pictures!

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I used to have them come to my feeders at nite but haven't seen any in the last while. Had a sick one once that was out in daylight. It jumped into my hand and tried to eat but it's teeth were so overgrown it had a problem. I took it to wildlife rescue and they said they had to file it's teeth , it was flea infested and had pneumonia.I never heard how it made out.The dogs showed up with a tail of one this week so they are still around ( or were ). I live along The Old Man Creek.They used to have a nest in an old tree, I wish one wud move into the Owl box since the owls aren't.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all!
    Hm...interesting!
    Marcia, it looks like they are around more then we think, hopefully you'll get to see some yourself!

>> It jumped into my hand and tried to eat but it's teeth were so overgrown it had a problemIngrid, ..LOL.. lucky you didn't get bitten...were you handing out food?

Last year this owl house was stuffed with allot of soft material, figured a brown squirrel put it in so
    I cleaned it out, ..it could have been this guy?
    So...if you want to attract them, put up a screech owl box, [ I have 4] good for Northern flickers too.

Konrad

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

That little guy was too hungry to bite. All I did was hold my hand out and he jumped into it. After a while I placed him in a bird feeder to be safe. Next day he was back but did get a bit ticked off when I stuffed him in the shoe box.And you know " The rest of the Story"

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can't believe it's going to be 4 years when I started this thread, as most of you know I build motion cameras and tested one the other day for bird shots on suet with seeds,.. then I had a surprise on another squirrel.

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Great picture Konrad. Haven't seen any here in a long time. I have great horned owls and saw whet owls nesting in the area so that may be the cause. Wish they would come back.

13 years ago

I know we have them around here but i've never seen one. They'd probably try to clean out the birdfeeder and that doesn't seem to be happening.

I do see this guy a lot at school, though! LOL He's my favourite flying squirrel!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks
    LOL...we do see them more often, marciaz!

Actually I have on this camera too...

13 years ago

That's so cute, Konrad!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES