Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I've been doing this for years - kind of like winter sowing, but for annuals and done in early - mid April. I have no room inside for everything i want to start and it's so much easier to start things in containers outside.

But this year.... Well, we're consistently below 0 every night, sometimes as low as -7 or -10, and the daytime highs barely reach +1 or +2. And there's snow constantly predicted - another 5-10 cms Sunday night, and snow showers off and on all next week. I look at the two-week forecasts and the better temperatures are always a week away.

I've been really hesitant about starting, even though rationally i know that the cold won't hurt the seeds. I guess i'll start this weekend.

Usually April is such an exciting month with the snow melting and plants emerging, and, by this time of the month, sprouts in the winter sowing containers. I haven't even looked at them this year! There are still snowbanks a few feet high and at least a foot of snow left all over in the yard.

A bit of a whine, maybe. Hoping that playing in the dirt a bit this weekend will help the mood a bit. This is getting depressing!

Comments (3)