Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shootingstar2_gw

does anyone have Coral Dawn Rose?

shootingstar2
15 years ago

Hi all,

A recent change to a landscape plan has left me with a few extra spots to fill and I saw Coral Dawn the other day at a local spot. The also had Climbing versions of Miss All American Beauty, Peace & Crimsion glory.

I don't imagine any of them will be cane hardy so I am asking about height of re-growth after winter. Does anyone have coral Dawn or any of the others and could comment.

I need something for in front of the fence so height does matter.

Cathy

Comments (5)

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Sorry that no one's replied, Cathy, I guess no one has really heard of or has this rose.

I suppose in cold zones you could do the usual winter mulch trick and it might survive at least near the base of the plant. I remember growing a tender climber one year and actually bending the canes and burying them for winter. But, maybe you'd be better off going with one of the hardy Explorer Series climbing roses. John Cabot or William Baffin are pretty well the hardiest, though there are other smaller stature ones as well. Unfortunately though, I don't think there's one in the 'coral rose' color that you are looking for.

Glen

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Rose Society

• susan1993
    14 years ago

I live in Quebec, Canada, and I have Coral Dawn climber. I only planted it two years ago, and until then, was not familiar with it. It is a beautiful rose, and in one Summer will grow to approx 5-7 feet or more. However, the canes are flexible and move them sideways, or upwards, as required and tie them to my fence. Depending on what type and height your fence is, I would recommend this rose. The colour is beautiful, and is a soft coraly pink. It smells really nice, and I love. I am just becoming familar with how it grows, but found a website in which the lady said hers dies back each winter and faithfully back each Spring. I didn't know that and wondered why my long canes didn't appear to be waking this Spring. New canes are growing very healthily from the base now (mid to end May) and I know it will be even prettier this year than last. I know now that I can cut the wintered canes back in the Spring, thanks to the web information. I have 2 John Cabot roses, and they are very robust and hardy, however........they are deadly thorny. Unless your space is an area that has little need to go near it, I wouldn't recommend John Cabot. I've had William Baffin in the past but it wasn't one of my favourite. I'd recommend either John Davis Explorer which can be trained as a climber, is extremely Winter hardy and disease resistant, and is GORGEOUS soft pink in colour with beautiful dark green leaves. It is not very thorny and easy to manipulate. Also, I love Iceberg Cl, (white) and have combined John Davis and Iceberg with clematis to climb together. Really nice! These roses need no special Winter protection, and neither does the Coral Dawn. I don't know where you live, but if you don't get a good blanket of snow in Winter, you might want to mulch around their bases for the Winter.

• ivy2
    14 years ago

Hi Cathy,
    I have 2 coral dawn roses. With a lot of protection they survive down to the crown in the winter. In my zone they only reach about 1.5 feet but put on a beautiful continuous display of huge coral colored flowers. It's actually rather unbalanced because the flowers look way too big for the plants. You will probably have a lot better growth in your zone. One thing I do is spray my tenders fall and spring with "No Wilt". I find this helps a lot.
    Good luck

• edlincoln
    8 years ago

I just purchased a climbing version of Coral Dawn. I planted it a sheltered spot in Zone 6 at my parent's place. Will it die back to the ground in Zone 6? Will it have to be trained each year to get it to climb?

• Karen F
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Cathy. I know this is a bit late but I recently purchase a Coral dawn climbing one this year. Got it to replace the Lizzie rose. It is doing great so far. When I bought it had no buds on it. Now there are 3 big blooms on it. Did have another one but it recently has bloomed and petals fallen off it. Will go out tomorrow and cut off the spent part. I live in Ontario, Canada north of Toronto. I figured if my Garden centre near me sold these at their store they must be able to survive the winters here.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms