Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clover as lawn replacement?

Posted by curls Z3 AB (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 10:21

Hi!

Has anyone replaced their lawn with clover? My backyard is quite sunny and VERY dry. Tons of evergreens stealing any moisture from the grass... I've bought a bag of grass seed (fescues) but i'm considering adding clover seed to the mix to try and help it out and if the clover takes over I'm OK with that... though my neighbors may hate me :) I have small children, so i can't garden the whole thing (yet).

Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clover as lawn replacement?

At my old place the back lawn was mostly clover. It's ok if that's what you want, but the drawbacks are it looks patchy, and it flowers. Clover will never look as smooth and consistent as grass, especially when you mow it and chop up all the little leaves. If you don't mow it, it will look lumpy. Obviously it has white flowers too which you may or may not like. One of the worst features for me is that it hops lawn edging and roots on the other side, and keeps going into your flower beds.

o

I was just reading about low maintenance lawns on the CMHC website last night. You might be interested in what they had to say. One of their suggestions was clover.

An acquaintance of mine, who used to have a garden I would say was as nice as Butchart Gardens in Victoria, (and she did it all herself without "expert" advice) recently suggested I use clover in part of my lawn. Hey, if she's a fan.............

o

Hi Curls.

Have you had time to consider the clover pros and cons yet?

I'd like to know how it turns out, and if you do it like the CMHC website suggests, or another way, or not at all.

I have some really hot dry spots where grass doesn't do well on it's own and we're in similar zones.

o

Problem right now seems to be finding a source to buy in Calgary... I'd like to try MicroClover, emailed them, haven't heard... Don't want to mail order because i'm ready to rock and roll once the snow melts (have some grass seed and some gardening soil is top dress is due to come tomorrow!)

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 7:58

We planted clover in our front fields. We also did the area around the flower beds. We considered doing the lawn by the house but reconsidered because of the bees flowering clover attracts. We left the grassy area near the patio in grass because we prefer not to be stung by bees when we sit there. marg

o

curls, do you just want clover seed? Sunnyside sells it in big bags.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here