Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

What roses to you grow

Joan Dupuis
15 years ago

I like the florist look of the double roses. Lurking around garden sites, has gotten me hooked on roses, although I have never had much luck with the more tender ones. Last Spring, I planted 6 minis ordered from BC. I was amazed at how quickly they grew and flowered almost non stop all summer into Fall. Am happy to report that all except maybe Teddy Bear which was the least vigorous of the 6 seem to be alive. Will have lots of pruning to do, as a lot of tops are black. Among the ones I planted are: Loving Touch, Irristible, Hot Tamale, Cheer Up, Starina and Teddy Bear. Also picked up locally, Tiffany, Double Delight and Iceberg. The last 2 still look alive, but not sure on Tiffany yet (still mounded up).

Which pretty hardy repeat or continuous flowering roses do you grow, and how much, if any protection do you give them. Looking forward to more enabling. I am waiting on delivery of Rubies & Pearls, Veteran's Honor, Arizona, Cherry Parfait and Livin Easy for the week of April 20th.

Joan

Comments (11)

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops, subject title should read "do you grow"

• jetred
    15 years ago

I grow many of the Morden and Ottawa varieties. My best rose is Winnipeg Parks which just blooms and blooms. Its only two feet tall but the blooms are good enough for the florist. I have made corsages from it.

• stanly
    15 years ago

Joan, all my roses now are the hardy one like Therese Bugnet, John Cabot, Wpg Parks and the Morden series. I used to have about 75 hybrid teas and each fall spent a couple of days covering and getting ready for winter and in the spring spent a couple of days uncovering and cleaning up, would usually lose 6 to 12 every spring. Was a lot of work but they were sure beautiful. Once year I did my usual fall stuff and for some reason I lost about half my roses and I just got tired of the expense and the time. I did find that the minis were hardier roses and I still have a couple. I also have 2 David Austin roses that I don't cover but they come back every year. As Jetred said the Wpg Parks are very nice and I also have a couple of Rose de l'Hay that are very fragrant and maintenance free. Stan

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

Stan, which David Austins do you have?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Hi Joan, I have many of the Explorer and Parkland series, though not all of them. I have to be really keen upon a particular variety in order to keep it and indeed have discared ones that didn't cut it. It's rather like the seedlings I grow, if it does not measure up, out it goes! I also have many rugosa types, gotta love these for their fragrance!

Terry

• alisande
    15 years ago

I am way too lazy to protect plants. The only Austin that has survived my winters for a good number of years is Gertrude Jekyll. A real beauty with outstanding scent--I think everyone should grow it.

I'm happy with rugosas, especially the unfortunately-named Wildberry Breeze and Dart's Dash.

In recent years I've had success with Buck roses. They're wonderful.

And I love my William Baffin. A single rose with no scent or repeat bloom, but so vigorous and pretty.

Susan

• stanly
    15 years ago

shazam, I'm down to 4 David Austins which surprisingly have bee coming back every year for the past 4-5years without any protection. they are Gertrude Jekyll, Graham Thomas, Winchester Catherdral and L.D. Braithwaite. Although I have about 20 hardy roses, the only color I don't have is yellow. Will have to try one I guess. Stan

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

Thanks Stan! I've known about LD Braithwaite for a while but the others are a pleasant surprise!

I'll have to get buy some this year!

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like I'll have to check out Winnipeg Parks...and maybe a couple more.

Joan

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

John Davis is a must have rose, IMO.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions