Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soybeans!

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:45

This morning i asked the Grade 3/4 class what kinds of things we could plant this year in the community gardens. One of the boys suggested soybeans! From what i can see, people are starting to plant them in home gardens. Has anyone got any experience with them? Would they last over the summer while the kids are off - i.e. could they be picked in September? And where would a person find seeds for them? Most of what i've seen on Google is about farming soybeans, so the advice isn't aimed at home gardeners.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soybeans!

Last year I grew soybeans in my garden. They were easy to grow and had almost no maintenance other than water. The spring frost didn't seem to affect them but in the fall I covered them on the cooler nights after a light frost damaged the top leaves.

I seeded them directly in the garden on the May Long Weekend, they started to flower the last week of July and I harvested the beans the first week of September. The pods were not quite mature at this time but I was going away on holidays so it was then or probably never.

I only planted about 8 feet of them and ended up with 6 large snack portions (for 2-3 people).

I bought my seeds online through Veseys.

o

That's a perfect timeline for us. Since the kids aren't in school during the summer, a September harvest would be just right.

Maybe i can order some begonia tubers at the same time..... LOL

o

If i order soybeans for $5.95 and a $7.95 bag of picotee begonias, it's going to cost almost $14 in shipping! I think i'll have a look in town on the off chance that there's some seeds there.

o

Marcia, I have 5 packages of soy beans that I bought in 2012. I am allergic to soy and was going to plant them for my husband. You are welcome to some. Send me an email with your address. :)

Ginny

o

I'll email you through your page - thanks Ginny!

Oops - doesn't seem as if that's possible. Can you email me through mine? I thought i had your address but i don't seem to.

This post was edited by marciaz3 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 19:40

o

Hi, not to be a downer, but if you eat a lot of soybean, you need to read the book the whole soy story by Dr. Kaayla Daniel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here