Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirelette

Planting suggestions for front yard

squirelette
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a bricked over area along the city sidewalk in front. It is a weed collector and I would like to turn it into a garden or at least something a little more attractive. Can anyone suggest plants that might thrive. I would like to pry out random bricks to insert plants. It is about 4' wide and is backed by a 5' high concrete wall. The previous owner seems to have put in a pretty good sand bed under and it will not get a lot of water. I can add soil into the openings but the plants will need to be pretty hardy to survive there. Oh yes perenials please. It faces NE so plenty of direct sun most of the day. It will also get plenty of snowcover in the winter as that is where the sidewalk snow gets shovelled. I am not worried too much about flowers but I don't want the neighbors to complain about the look of it. I thought of cacti, or grasses but I am not sure. Wet springs, dry hot summers... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• oilpainter
    15 years ago

Look into native wildflowers for your area. They are tough and well suited to your climate and growing conditions. Your town must have a greenhouse that grows plants for your city's gardens, that is a good place to start. Don't forget to take in the salt factor from the roads

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

I'd be tempted to try some Lavender - there's a dwarf Munstead that I grew from seed last year that wintered for me. They need that really excellent drainage and would certainly benefit from the heat from that wall.

I think that Dianthus (Pinks) would also really like these conditions, as would sedum. Oh, and creeping baby's breath.

Wow, I'd love to have an area like that to play with.

• User
    15 years ago

How about a mix of daylilies and irises? They both can be very tough. I've also found sempeverius (hens and chicks) to be great surviros, and they will spread quickly. Sedums love heat too. If you've grown poopies successfully, they are easy care too. Have fun with it!

• squirelette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions I never thought of daylilies, thought the spring wet would be too much.Any thoughts for something with more height, I think it would look kind of prison yard with the wall . I have had great luck with black peony poppies but they really go flat in the summer, plus if previous experience is anything to go by I would loose them to the passer byes. I had them in a fenced front yard and the plants were stripped bare all I got was one little pod. I highly recomend them to anyone looking for spring impact by the way. Please continue with suggestions I need all the help I can get with this area, Most of my ideas are very seasonal or need shade. Thanks

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

What about lupins, peonies, hostas-there are some that do like sun, columbine, perennial geraniums, sedums, roses, small shrubs, various herbs-they love sun and you can use them in cooking or crafts, ornamental grasses, perhaps put in a few vegies. Just a few ideas. A suggestion for the wall, does it get lots of sun? If it does why not put up trellis and grow some clematis or grow a larger flowering shrub? I like Weigelia. They have nice flowers all summer and some varieties have variegated foliage. Just a thought. Marg

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I have a south facing bed right next to some big trees. The drainage from the yard runs right through there, so it gets the really wet/really dry thing. The best plants I have there are Goblin galliarda, yarrow, goldenrod, and assorted cranesbills. I had to contain the goldenrod with lawn edging, and the yarrow has to be shovelpruned regulary, so I think they really like it there. The delphiniums do okay, but they are in partial shade from the trees. The trick for me is getting the plants started. Once they have a good root system, they do well. Annuals don't progress at all - too dry for them, I think.
    Connie

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I am so hesitant to spend too much out there, I expect most will disappear either from the conditions or with help of a 2 legged variety. I have been staring at it for 2 years but I can not take another summer of trying to pull the weeds out from between the bricks. I will try all your suggestions and see what stays.

• savona
    14 years ago

How tall do you want your planting to be? Will people walk on it? I think Thyme or even snow in summer would be a couple plants to think about to add to your list...Jean

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jean,
    I would like a variety of heights 5' to groundcover. I am not planting where people should actually walk but it will border the city sidewalk so people dogs will likely walk on it on occasion. That is one of the reasons I am stuck. It is right out at the street and will feel seperate from the rest of the yard because of the wall so people who might otherwise be careful may not think about it. Also it needs to look like a garden so the neighbors do not find it unsightly. Thyme might be a good option I understand it is really tough.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus