Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Cold Snap Coming !!

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

Unbelievable !

I just spent days shovelling snow away from where all my bulbs are coming up, and tonight we're supposed to get -11 or so, and then maybe a bit of snow in the next few days.

Do I have to cover all the bulbs that I've found popping up?

Are we going to have to go back to the "Will this ever end" thread?

Comments (21)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I know it is so depressing. All I ask for is a little warm sun, green grass and my flowers coming up. That's not a lot is it? But is it happening ----NO!! Snow on the way here too.BOOOO HOOOO

• bluegoat_gw
    12 years ago

It will be like this for a few years to come. It's sunspots not CO2 that's the culprit. Later springs, cooler summers and earlier frost.

Here is a link that might be useful: The smallest sunspot cycle in two hundred years

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have Deirdre Viridiflora, Puschkinia Libanotica, Purple Sensation Allium, some type of Daffodils, many many tulips, all coming out of the ground. Some of them are a good two inches tall.

One minute they were still buried, the next minute they were up.

Do I need to cover them in -10 weather? I think yes ?

Should I throw snow back on them, or soil, or wet leaves?

Please Help!

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

For some reason I can't reply to this as I have posted already which is stupid because it's like a conversation. People do more than one post on one subject. Anyways I hope your bulbs all live.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Gale force wind and snow here right now. It's -11C, but it'll be worse with the windchill. I'm not taking the dog for her walk. With all the melting that happened before this, I'm sure it will be treacherously icy.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

North53 that's just crazy!

My uphill battle of one step forward and two or three steps back, is really starting to get to me. I've been struggling with this yard for 6 years......

I covered some of my plants with buckets and said to he$$ with the rest. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll be fine, but I won't hold my breath.

I think I'll go back to the bubble even though we're not supposed to need it anymore !

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

I don't think the snow will accumulate, but it's a little hard to take when we've been teased with lovely spring weather. It happens every year though. Luckily nothing was growing yet in my yard. The beds were just starting to appear from under the snow.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

It's worse when it happens in the middle of May. :(

We're going to get it too - one forecast says -15 and the other says -9. The bubble definitely sounds like a good idea.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Out forecast here is SNOW Snow and more Snow. Luckily nothing but a few scraggley tulips are up so at least that won't be a problem. Guess there was a reason I didn't take off my snowtires yet.My bees were just starting to really fly around. Back in the hive girls.

12 years ago

I'd rather have the snow than the intense cold - at least if it snows, it's protecting what's coming up. Tonight, one forecast says -14 while the other says -7. Let's hope the second is true!

12 years ago

It went to -10. I'll look around after work, if i have time, and see how things are doing.

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

woke up this morning to 6 inches. Damn, the driveway just dried out yesterday, back to a mud pit. C

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

That's what bugs me. Finally a half decently dry driveway and dogs not tracking in loads of mud''''AND NOW THIS''''. Not a happy morning. And it's coming down heavy.

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

I decided to stop mopping my mud room, it might be July before the mud stops around here. C

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Third friggin (can I say that word here, it's so appropriate!) lousy cold spring in a row! Normally, the outdoor garden centers begin to open at the end of the April, mmmmmm I doubt it this year! Are we again in for a delayed planting season, last year I had begun planting stuff out only into early June and then we went onto a crappy cool short summer ... oh, but at least we did not experience any earthquakes or tsunamis ... so, we can always look on the bright side of things, lol ...

La Nina, she brings these crappy springs and unpredictable summers ... El Nino is the total opposite! The last strong El Nino was way back in 1998, that year we did not experience a spring, for on April 1 st. we went directly into summer, the Edmonton area recorded its last spring frost on April 16 th ... I had spotted the very first flush of leaves on the trees on April 10 th! That summer was hot and on the dry side, one of those freak summers that my watermelons and cantaloupes had turned out good ... I've since given up on growing that stuff and won't again until El Nino makes a strong return.

SO READY TO MOVE TO A PLACE THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAL GROWIING SEASON! It's depressing looking at photos from the warmer zones further south, green with envy, while we're still experiencing cabin fever. Maybe, I should have my greenthumbs surgically removed and then might not care so much about the weather, lol.

Terrance

12 years ago

Everyone go ahead and rant - you deserve it! We're just cold here so far, but we're supposed to get snow tomorrow and Saturday. Your leftovers, i guess!

Had a look around after work, and everything looks okay in spite of the cold. That's one thing... :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bad enough all the crappy weather we've been having, but what about the flooding?

DH couldn't make it back home yesterday because the highway flooded !

twrosz - I've lived in zone 8. I think that's all I need to say..............the only thing I don't miss are the earthquakes.

• AlaskaChris
    12 years ago

You could move to Alaska and then you'd get to have both the cold and earthquakes. :)

12 years ago

That's what people keep saying about here - at least we don't have earthquakes and hurricanes. Yeah, well....

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcia that's pretty much what our place looks like, too. We were down to bare grass after I shoveled about 3 yards of snow away to help it melt.

DH asked what my big plans for the day were, and I said nothing. This weather has defeated me!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?