Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs

Posted by ginger57 z3 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 12:58

What are your favorite? Which would you never plant again?

I am going to be putting a few in this year and would appreciate some feedback

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs

I love all my various spireas, Nanking Cherries, cotoneasters for fall colour. It's not really a shrub but I really like Virginia Creeper. I totally love my ornamental maple but I don't know what kind it is.

Two I would not bother with again are Euonymus alata - it does ok for being so far out of zone, but is sort of boring because it doesn't get its proper fall colours in my yard. Also Forsythia is sort of a waste of time because most years the buds get killed off by cold and they only flower around the bottom where the snow covered them.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 14:34

Would definitely plant again Diabolo Ninebark, Mohican Viburnum, Golden Elder, Pocohantas Lilac or probably any of the Syringa hyacinthiflora's, Silver Leaf Dogwood, any of the Barberries, any of the Spireas but especially the bridal wreath

Can take it or leave it: Highbush Cranberry, Amorpha fruticosa (really nice in leaf but it leafs out late, blooms are beautiful and fragrant but are very quick to fade)

Would not plant again: Honeysuckle (older wood is horrible to prune), Sorbaria sorbifolia (false spirea, too out of control with its crazy suckering habit), Wegelia (blooms not reliable and otherwise ho-hum), Hakuro Nishiki willow.

o

Pudge: How come you wouldn't plant Hakuro Nishiki willow again? I'm curious as I've recommended it to clients but don't have it myself.
I love everything Pudge does and am excited to try Coppertina Ninebark this year and I like Beauty of Moscow lilac as well. Loved my pink Hydrangea last year but we'll see if it made it through. I also like Nest Spruce and Blue Star Juniper and an old favorite, Mugo Pine.
Kate

o

• Posted by marric Z5b Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 18:53

I would definitely plant more Elders, Diablo Ninebark, Mock Orange - because I love the smell, Preston lilacs and Weigelia. I have the Coppertina Ninebark but am waiting to see how it does. Marg

o

I forgot Philadelphius/Mock Orange. I love that shrub! I agree with Pudge about honeysuckle, I have a zillion of them in my yard and they're ok but the older wood is like cast iron like Pudge says.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 19:09

Kate, perhaps after only one try I shouldn't be so quick to judge Hakuro Nishiki but I just don't think it's a strong enough cultivar for our climate. I gave mine a rather choice location, it didn't thrive so I moved it to another choice location and it still didn't thrive. I pruned hard, thinking that would jump start it into doing something - not too much. The next year or two I didn't prune, still not much. At the moment I just can't recall if I finally did trash it last year or (once again) decided to give it another year but after several years of hanging in there but not really doing anything too much, it's not on my gotta have it list. Maybe the plant I bought was a dud - sometimes that happens (like with my stupid Stella D'Oro daylily & divisions from the original that manages a couple of blooms a year and that's it), but I also haven't seen any nice growing specimens in other yards.

o

Thanks for your insight. I was wondering the same thing and as an avid xeriscaper was reluctant to recommend it. Was it in a choice spot that gets lots of water?
Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here