Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

It just might end!

Lookie here!

(left the weeds in to make it more authentic!)

And i'm sure there are more back there, but no way i can get to it:

Bare ground along the back of the house and green bergenia foliage:

Dwarf Alberta Spruce - never got around to shovel-pruning it last summer and it looks like it came through the winter okay. Now, will it survive the spring? LOL

Comments (9)

• wxman81
    13 years ago

Wow, where are you located? Looks like a lot of snow to have yet!!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

In the Edmonton, Alberta area, the winter of 2010/2011 had been the snowiest since back in 1974, indeed that winter was memorable! There's still so much dang heavy wet snow in my yard that I feel like taking the snow blower to certain areas! I'd like to at least be able to walk around a bit! This is unusual to still have so much snow on the ground, often I'm planting rose bushes by the second or third week of April.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

I did see some sweet william and some green on a couple of snapdragons that were left from last fall. We had a great melt the last two days. I still had 5ft drifts in the garden but there were a couple of patches of grass. Now however it is back under snow, 15cm and it is still coming down. C

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wxman, i'm in NWOntario. We've had a lot of snow this year too. It's really melting now. The forecast high for today was for about +2C/34F but it's around 15 instead, so the water is dripping all over! :)

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

It's snowing like mad in Calgary right now. We did have some above zero temps this past week and it melted a lot of snow in the front yard - I saw crocuses coming up!

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Looks similar to what we've got. We got up to +9 today and lost a lot of snow but there's still a butt load sitting around. No sprouties here yet but my scabiosa melted out today and it's still green.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

We had a small bare patch where I could see one of my creeping Veronica speedwell and some of my iris's. However, the iris were in a massive puddle and I fear they're going to rot. They've been there probably 30 years or so and survived.

We still have a ton of snow and it snowed a few inches again yesterday. Anyone else afraid of having all their spring bulbs rot?

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

We still have lots of snow too, but parts of my flower bed are almost completely free of snow, and it is such a losing battle trying to shovel snow back onto it that I have just given up. I do have straw on my most tender stuff. I haven't been out and about in my garden yet, because it is soaking wet, but I can see from a window that one of my silly tall bearded irises is coming up already!! Grr...I think I'll go put some straw on top of it before it gets too big and then gets frozen. I don't know what it is thinking- it is still -7 or so at night, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if we get some more real winter that would kill anything coming up, even tulips.

NAF - I'm definitely worried about some bulbs I planted last fall, tulips and daffodils. But I am even more worried about my irises..we've had too many soggy years in a row, and I keep expecting to find some of my favorites rotting out before my eyes! I'm hoping for a more "normal" summer this year.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

I just went outside and beside the house I have about 7 little sprouts coming out of the ground =:) I've been throwing more snow over those spots for the last few weeks, but I'm getting tired of doing that. I'm not sure what I planted there, and don't usually need to check my small amount of notes at this time of year.

What's really sad is the iris patch though. At this rate I'll have to get out the old shop vac and suck up the standing water to try to save them !