Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of birds came to visit my garden?

Posted by crazydaisy_68 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 13:27

It's that time of year for me to come back out of hibernation and get back into gardening again!

I have never seen these birds in past years but over the past week I have seen these guys in my garden a number of times. What exactly are they?
birds

Sorry, not the best pictures and I was in a rush to get the pics and didn't want to waste time trying to get my zoom lens on then missing them again! BUT, you can see that they are large birds and they waddled away and didn't fly away.... ????

Photobucket

Curious too why I see them this year and not past years? What are they looking for in my garden?

Ang

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of birds came to visit my garden?

Do you have water nearby. They look very much like sandpipers, with their long necks and beaks. They are probably on their way back from their winter migration and stopped over in your yard for a rest.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 17:27

I don't think the legs are long enough for any of the Sandpipers. They kind of look like maybe Ptarmigans, or Grouse, and if you've seen them several times over the course of a week, maybe they're planning to hang around for a while and nest. It would be excellent if you can get a closer shot.

o

Agree, or something in the Partridge family.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Partridge

o

They seem to have long beaks, though, so they wouldn't be grouse. I first thought of American Woodcock, but they look too big for that. Just checked the bird book and all the sandpiper type birds have longer legs. You should try to get a closer picture, Ang. Whatever they are, they might be in their winter plumage still so it would be a little harder to ID.

o

Hey Ang- Where abouts are you? Those little guys look like a pair of Pintail or Sharptail Grouse. They are very abundant in open spaces and grasslands at this time of year, even in the cities. They nest in May usually and often build their nests under heavy underbrush such as hedges. They do fly but more like a chicken. Low to the ground in sprint flight from bush to bush. They are probably looking for food and water as the grain fields are pretty bare.
Maybe?

Ginny

o

Ginny, I am in Edmonton. Having googled the Sharptail Grouse I would say that is it! They had that same "speckled" look to them and definately that body shape/size.

I will make sure I put the zoom lens on and keep an eye out for them over the next few days... assuming they come back!

o

I'm in Edmonton too and have had them visit even here in this old part of town. They really do act a lot like chickens. Always looking for food and a place to hide out till the grass gets tall. Maybe they will be back.
Haven't seen any this year but my dogs are pretty good at keeping any birds at bay. The bunnies are fed outside the fence and they seem to know it!

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here