Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agritopiate

Albol Currants, Clove or Buffalo Currants, Ribes aureum

agritopiate
10 years ago

Hi. Does anyone up there in Canada have some of the Albol currants (the Canadian types of Buffalo Currant or Clove Currant)? A couple names I found were Black Giant, and Black Albol. I'm quite interesting in trading for seeds or starts of some of these types if I can find a source. Can't find a nursery that ships to US. I'm interesting in crossing different types of Ribes aureum and have been coming up with some interesting forms and colors. Anyone in USA with some interesting heirloom types of large fruiting Missouri currants, clove currants, I'd love to hear from also. These are Ribes aureum (golden currant) with non-fragrant western USA forms of different colors, Ribes aureum variety aureum, and the great plains fragrant forms Ribes aureum var. villosum.. which used to be called Ribes odoratum. Crandall is a large fruited form of this subspecies also called clove currant or buffalo currant. I have Crandall and Gwen's and various wild colors. Looking for sweet good tasting forms, or with large fruit and heavy bearing.
Thanks,
Steve in Washington, USA

Comments (6)

• don555
    9 years ago

I don't have an answer to this person's questions, but this message has been at the top of the list for 6 weeks now, so if he/she hasn't received replies by now, they are unlikely to anytime soon. So this response is just to unlock the message from being locked at the top of the board...

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Thanks Don, yes it's time, I have provided Steve with some material of mine,....just got confirmation today from Thean, that what I have is Albol currant aka clove currant, Missouri currant, posted some years ago, [see link] great tasting currant.
    Steve does cross breeding, ...figured, anybody who does this kind of work, [especially when doing it private] needs all the help he can get,...it'll be, or hopefully for the good of all mankind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of hassle to get small fruits..

• OMAsGarlic
    9 years ago

I do. Native to our property. I'm in Alberta, Canada. Are you still looking?

• agritopiate
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Thanks to all of you and Konrad in particular. Sorry I've been out of contact with forest fires disrupting the internet signals here. Will send you an email Oma. Thanks for contacting me. Yes I'm still looking. Are they ripe or well past yet? I had recently just left on a trip to go collect some Great Plains yellow forms, or any that seemed exceptional. Unfortunately I only got two miles out of town and hit a deer. Bad for the deer and bad for my planned trip too. Does anyone see yellow fruited forms and do they seem different or better tasting? I'd love to obtain seeds from any types that seem really good. I think my mail is working now. U of Sask had some breeding program and cultivars out before I think. If anyone runs into any of those from their selections I'd like to learn about what they are like and how they compare to Crandall.

This post was edited by agritopiate on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 13:39

• Geert Devriese
    8 years ago

Dear agritopiate, Steve, would it possible to contact me by email? I'm searching for mor info about Ribes aureum and the differences between Ribes aureum var. aureum, Ribes aureum var. gracillimum, Ribes aureum var. villosum. And why in Europe it are almost always black Ribes aureum and almost none orange. Thank you.

• Bart Popowski
    5 years ago

Can anyone recommend a book or any articles that would help me understand the varieties of buffalo currants and their attributes? I'd like to start my own breeding project, but am very new to this. Thanks, Bart