Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

I don't think forsythia is my friend

northspruce
14 years ago

I don't think I would plant forsythia again, or really recommend it to anyone in our zone. I have several shrubs of it around my property and they are messy and hard to prune. Most years the buds get killed by hard winter and they only bloom below the snow line. This past winter was very mild here and all my forsythias bloomed really nicely, but I still have reservations.

One thing I didn't know was that they sucker, and also root when the branches touch the ground. I just spent several days removing unwelcome pieces. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Comments (5)

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Hi Gil, Ya, I was thinking of pulling out the forsthia here this year too. It hasn't flowered once for me. It hasn't suckered, but I don't see the point if it is borderline here.

sierra

• don555
    14 years ago

Same issues here in Edmonton. Even with that hardy variety (Northern gold?) most years it only bloomed from below snow-line and then it really began to sucker and spread. Took at least a year to kill off all the suckers because it kept popping up from underground roots after I cut it out. Maybe in a big shrub border, but there'd be better choices for there too.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

I had also gotten rid of mine, just had blooms on the lower branches and then the shrub itself wasn't anything great to look at in the first place!

Terry

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I'm keeping my Northern Gold forsythia - not that it blooms, but it's all tangled up with an overgrown honeysuckle and a clump of a nasty tough old rose I have. Cutting it out would be dangerous!

Connie

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well it was interesting to see them in full bloom this spring, since they almost never do, but man what a messy shrub. I don't know if the suckering is worse or the stupid 6' water sprouts that seem to appear in a matter of a week just when I don't feel like pruning.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert